Bridge Ideas/Help SS New York...

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by K'riq Sa, May 28, 2008.

1. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

As some of you know I am currently producing a fanflick "Starfleet Rangers: Alpha Colony Mars" and I am in the midst of designing the bridge for the S.S. New York.

[​IMG]

I have no preconceived notions about what I want, as I have just started the process. The ship was commissioned into service 2105. Any ideas and contributions will be noted and credited.

More info can be found here
    http://starfleetmngmt.proboards38.com/index.cgi?board=technology&action=display&thread=24

The final version will be used to build the full size bridge set for the series, due to start production in 2 weeks with preliminary Sfx location plates shots.

interstichily,

K'riq Sa
    Minister of the Church

2. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

Here is a drawing of a runabout I did that I would think would be somewhat of the configeration I would imagine it would have only a little larger. The viewport would be better served if it were mono rather than broken up into two side-by side. The space looks rectagularish, and I wouldn't rule out a pool table, it just seems like it would eat up valuable space on such a small wessel.

[​IMG]

cepicolly,

K'riq Sa
    Minister of the Church of the Crystal Gulls

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since there's a definite "Steam Trek" look to the ship design, the bridge might reflect 19th century thinking as well.

Those "classic" bridges atop the superstructure near the bow of a ship, spanning the entire beam of the vessel and including the wheelhouse, are a fairly recent invention first adopted in steam-powered warships in the late 19th century, to afford the commanding officers a view unobstructed by the smokestacks and other new stuff cluttering the deck.

Your ship certainly has lots of visual obstructions, but the internal layout of the bridge can't help much with that. Still, it might be fun to go with a very linear layout, essentially a long corridor with one wall consisting of that row of six windows. The captain would pace the corridor, where a steering pulpit would dominate the center, and a number of seated workstations or pedestals would spread symmetrically to left and right. And perhaps the main viewscreen would be against the aft bulkhead, analogous to a map stapled to the wall?

Such a unique setup might give added value to a fan film project, too.

Timo Saloniemi

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with Timo on this one. Definitely mirror the 19th century inspired design with the design of your bridge.

5. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

More Bridge Ideas/Help SS New York...

Here is some info from the designer Albertese...

Interesting. So are you planing to build two bridge sets or having one to redress as the different ships? I've had a chance to do some drawings of what I had in mind for the bridge of the ship as i originally designed it. (unfortunately still no progress on getting my own computer fixed, so i can't really show you what I'm talking about.)

The bridge as i am conceiving it would be about 20'x30' with a real cozy ready room and conference room on either side (port and starboard) which would make the whole set more like 30'x40' IIRC (again, I'm at my buddy's house to use the computer so I don't have the drawing in front of me). Not knowing exactly what you're using as a stage area, I don't know if that would fit your space or not.

Some ideas I might be able to describe:

Flat Walls.
    Even if you do go with a round bridge, you should make it out of flat sections. If you look at Kirk's bridge, it was made almost totally of flat panels, even though it seemed round. In fact the only curved panels were on the ceiling fairings and even those were only curved in one axis. This will make it fit well with trek continuity as well as be quicker and easier to build by you and your crew.

Captain's Chair:
    I would put more displays immediately around the captain's seat. Almost like what Sisko had around his seat on the Defiant, but a little more substantial. The chair itself ought to be more like Archer's and less like Kirk's.

Helm Console:
    I would make a one seat station out of this, not too unlike Mayweather's station on NX-01. One idea I had that I think would set it apart from other bridges would be to have an overhead console as well. This would have displays on it, but I'm not seeing actual controls given that it'd not be in convenient reach for whoever is sitting there. This would help to break up the space of the room and make it seem kind of cluttered. I think that a more "stuff-in-the-way" look like in a submarine would lend itself to the era you're trying to represent.

Viewscreen/Windows:
    I like the idea of windows on the front, but I thought it would be cool for the captain to have a smallish (30" or so) viewscreen mounted to the ceiling that would serve all the same functions of the viewscreen we're familiar with from the other shows.

just some info I thought you might like to have.

suddenly,

K'riq Sa
    Minister of the Church of Complete Bladder Relief

6. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

Re: More Bridge Ideas/Help SS New York...

Here is a shot of the NX bridge...

[​IMG]

and here is a 3d pictograph...

[​IMG]

seemingly,

K'riq Sa
    Minister of the Church of Erratic Behavior

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  7. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

Here is a drawing of the ship with 3 different angles, for reference.

[​IMG]

mostly,

K'riq Sa
    Minister of the Church of the Minimum Requirement

8. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Do you have any kind of floorplan or layout of at least the key sections of the ship? Knowing how/where the bridge fits physically into the ship will both help and dictate how to design it.

9. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

[​IMG]

Actually, that looks like it would work for a Xenon-Class or small assault craft a-la the Talon/Venture-Class, or even the Maquis' modified Peregrine. WAY Nice!!! But, what's that seat for, located in the back compartment?

10. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

That's where Vice Admiral Granny Clampett sits.

11. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

You saw the script?.....

unnecessarly,

K'riq Sa
    Minister of the Church of Flagrant Misbehaving

13. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

Hey I'm still looking for some help designing the bridge for this class of ship. any takers?...

k'irq

14. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Put an MSD "pool table" or normal MSD in the back compartment, (or on the wall consoles of one of the side stations,) where Admiral Granny Clampett sits & get rid of the chair located in the back compartment. Maybe make the back compartment into a turbolift to the lower decks. Just my $0.02

15. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

I like the idea of the MSD, on the wall in the back. makes sensense...

i don't know about the doors though.

layout? hey i'm a filmmaker, i can tell you where i will place the camera to get great shots, however a layout drawing not so much....

k'riq

16. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Not exactly a pro - but I spend half my life bored with a sketchbook...

I kept with the square design and an NX style console for flight control. With the squarish shapes it looks a little bit like a hybrid of Kira's ship in Shadows and Symbols and the Stargate USAF bridge layout with a few NX design elements.

http://theredeemed.co.uk/stash/xxbril.jpg

I wasn't sure of size/scale and seems longer and thinner than it should (as well as very roughly sketched and photographed with a camera, sorry :() - the idea was to have the NX console in front of the windows, then a step up to essential consoles (tactical and something else scipt dependant), the captains chair overseeing that with the MSD pool table behind that with stand-to-use wall displays in the third section, blank at the back - possibly used for more displays or just something visually interesting/blank to keep cost down.

I tried to make a more 3d sketch, but floor plans are far easier ;)

It's not far off an idea I had for a similar 25th century concept. Just more squared and less technicalistic.

I have no idea why my auto spellchecker didn't tell me techincalistic wasn't a word...

17. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

Wow, nice.

i like the whole technicalistical aspect.....

well thanks to you, it's a word now....

k'riq

18. jamestyler

Cheers :) Despite it being a rough sketch and all it's hopefully it's some use/inspiration to someone.

I spend far too much time with a pen and paper instead of doing any actual work. It might make some justification for it :lol:

19. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Well, seeing as how I designed the ship I might as well take a crack at the bridge. Please excuse the crudity of this drawing, it's just fairly light pencil and this is as good as I could photoshop it without inking the whole thing and taking alot of time.

[​IMG]

It takes a few of the ideas I mentioned before and incorporates some of the stuff from this thread. I kind of liked jamestyler's plan but I wanted to include some of my original ideas. I really think a ship of this era should feel small and crowded with stuff in the way. (Almost like the Russian sub in "K-19") Also, I imagine all the equipment to have sort a "drop-in" look, as if it would be a simple matter to unscrew and lift out any bank of controls. I don't know how clear it is in this scan, but I drew the control banks on the consoles with drawer-pull type handles on them like something from the space shuttle.

From front to back:

The Helm/Tactical station has one chair. Either side has a floor-to-ceiling column. There is a yoke like a jet liner would have. There are also overhead displays which hang from the ceiling. (In the 3/4 drawing, I've omitted the overheads for clarity)

On either side the walls feature cabinet type doors that hold emergency gear in lockers.

The port wall has the Science Station which would have one chair. From here, the sensors and scanners are monitored as well as any probes the ship may have launched.

The starboard wall has a very similar looking station but it is for Engineering. The ship's engineering functions would normally be controlled form the actual business ends of the equipment throughout the ship and would be coordinated from a central engineering area. This station can be used to coordinate but is normally just used as a monitor station, allowing the bridge crew to have a detailed picture of what the current status is of the various systems.

Aft of these stations on either side are doors. I imagine one leads to an elevator (this is too small a ship to really justify lateral turbolifts) and the other leads to a corridor.

Between these areas is the captain's station. He sits on a slightly elevated platform to give him a little better view of everything. To his left and right there are small consoles that display the ship's functions. Ahead of him, attached to ceiling is the "main viewer" or at least it's predecessor. It is more or less a good sized television/computer monitor suspended from the ceiling which the captain can use to do anything that the other Star Trek ship's main viewscreen was used for.

The captain can turn his chair around to face aft and he is looking at the "pool table". This is normally used to display navigational charts but it can be used to display ship's systems like the "pool table" on TNG's Engineering set or really for anything else the story calls for. The aft end of this table features a console and chair for the Navigator.

The aft wall is home to the Communications Station which is installed off to one side into the corner. There is hatch in the other corner which leads to a service crawl-way leading to the Dorsal sensor pallet and the radio transceiver equipment.

I suppose if you really wanted an MSD the place for it would be the starboard wall near the communications station. However, I feel that MSD's are not appropriate to the era, they being more of a Next Gen thing. Besides that, they really don't make any sense from a technical standpoint as the majority of your important systems aren't really on the ship's centerline. If you're really married to the idea of an MSD I suggest one that features a dorsal plan rather than a cross section on the centerline.

I dunno if you can use any of this. If you haven't settled on a design yet then this may be of use. Obviously this isn't a set of measured drawings or anything. Not knowing how much space you have available for a set makes it tough to design something that will work for your stage area.

One thing I was thinking was cool about the way jamestyler designed his bridge is the ribbed details on the side would make it very easy to have all the sections built to be wild. I was thinking that if you were clever enough in how you built the wild sections, you could make them two sided so it would be simply a matter of flipping the wall sections and a bit of shuffling to make most the sets you'll need for a Starfleet ship.

Hope you like it!

--Alex

20. jamestyler

It's weird but awesome to see someone get my thinking, heh.

The sketch is really quite similar to the one I put together after posting the floorplan - which is quite spooky. The rib cage had more of a 'C' shape in mine, the the pit for the Conn... door placement different (Looking at the ship I wasn't sure there'd be space as I had the walls as the edge of the top level - so put the only door on the back)

I like the comms console on the back. Oddly similar to one of the first ideas when I got pencil to paper - but ditched it with the door issue I had in my head. Though oddly my thought for that came from the sonar console in Kelsey Grammer film Down Periscope :lol:

Very nice - particularly the parts above the Conn in the Captains view.