Did Spock ever kill anything?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Vandervecken, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know, right? When I really stopped to think about, I realized the big 3 (and really all the others, Scotty, etc) hadn't killed many folks at all. At least not outside a ship-shooting scenario, and not a huge number there:

For Kirk in TOS (just TOS), I came up with this:

Gary Mitchell
    Kloog
    Hengist
    Cloud creature (Obsession)
    Bunch of Capellans in a rock slide. Did Kirk shoot an arrow as well?
    Everyone killed on the Romulan ship in Balance of Terror
    before the Commander blew it up.
    Everyone killed on the Orion ship in Journey to Babel before they blew themselves up (which always struck me as an odd thing for people who are presumably profit motivated to do, but whatever).
    Android Dr. Brown (counting him because the Exo 3 droids were obviously self-aware, even if Brown was a less sophisticated android than Ruk)

I was thinking of Apollo, but really he ended himself.

I was really reluctant to count ships shooting, but I guess they have to count.

In another thread someone corrected me on McCoy--I thought he'd killed only the Salt Vampire/fake Nancy, but I guess you can count a Mugato and one of the Denevan parasites.

Then I started thinking about Spock and, until this thread, mostly came up with bupkiss.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As I already pointed out above, I disagree with that presumption. It is incorrect that the only purpose for directing fire toward the enemy is to kill them. The other, quite common purpose is covering fire -- forcing them to keep their heads down while your side retreats or makes a move. Given that Spock was quite emphatic elsewhere in the episode that they should fire only to frighten rather than kill, it stands to reason that his intent in throwing the spear was merely to cover their retreat.

3. SonOfTed

SonOfTed Ensign Red Shirt

What about "The Tholian Web"?

Spock is in command and orders a phaser strike on the first Tholian vessel. It is damaged to the point where it doesn't move again until help arrives. Surely at least some of the Tholians inside were killed or at least severely injured.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those Tholian ships were tiny. I'm not sure they had more than one or two on board, more like patrol fighters than starships.

6. Christopher

Ex Astris Scientia says they're about 15 meters long, more than twice as long as a Galileo-type shuttlecraft and about 3/4 the length of the Delta Flyer. Which suggests a crew complement in the upper single digits.

7. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Delta Flyer sounds like a marital aid you'd see advertised in a 1978 Penthouse.

8. F. King Daniel

What's their source? The same site would have me think these two ships are the same size. This picture, with the Tholian ship in the foreground, makes it look smaller than 15m long (although, thanks to perspective and FX of the era, it's somewhat open to interpretation)

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

What can be gleaned about their size from this screengrab that has the Tholian ships going behind the Enterprise?

10. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

That Tholian ships change size depending on their distance from the camera. They're very conscious of appearances.

11. F. King Daniel

Ack. Perhaps I should have looked for more pics before deciding how big it is. It looks FAR bigger there than the previous shot. I wonder if the TOS-R people (with their replacement Tholian ship) were any more consistent, or had any idea about the size?

12. Christopher

Well, you can't trust relative sizes in TOS images. The buoy in "The Corbomite Maneuver" was supposed to be over 100 meters on a side, but as portrayed it would've been less than 10 m wide. Conversely, the Fesarius was said to be over a mile across, but as shown when it loomed over the Enterprise, it would've been much, much larger. (And the TOS-R version didn't correct the scale problems.)