When Does Babylon 5 not get boring?? lol...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joerib, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Joerib

Joerib Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just wondering I got thru season 1 it reminds me of a soap opera!! I have the movies should they be watched in any particular order?

2. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

If you don't like it, you don't like it. It's certainly not for everyone and there's a good chance that it's not for you. Season 1 can kind of be difficult to get through, but even during weak episodes, I enjoyed the vibes the show was giving off and it paid off in the long run.

3. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Think of Babylon 5 as a house. Season 1 is building the foundation. Some don't like it very much because it seems to move quite slow.

I usually recommend people go back to season 1 after they have watched season 3. Then you will see all the back story laid out. And after you absorb all that, move on to season 4.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

For someone who put in the "lol" at the end, I'm not sure whether to take this thread seriously or not.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha, yeah. I remember liking the original TV movie when it aired (just because a show set on a space station seemed like a really cool idea), but I was never able to get into the actual series, no matter how often I tried. Just a lot of stiff characters giving flowery, pretentious speeches, basically.

The characters on DS9 seemed about a thousand times more charming and dynamic to me.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I skipped most of S1 (on the advice of people here, in fact) and liked it that way. Maybe I should go back and check out what I missed someday.

The movies do need to be watched in a particular order, because some have spoilers for later in the series, but I can't remember what the sequence is. Cue Neroon...

7. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I managed to get towards the end of the 3rd season (or beginning of the 4th?) but just sort of lost interest and never watched the next episode. Apparently most fans consider that the peak of the series.

B5 seemed like a show that had two really good actors (Funny Hair & Lizard Guy), and a whole bunch of very lousy actors.

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2x09 - "The Coming of Shadows"

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

It starts not getting boring with the pilot.

Pretend you're reading a novel, if you have the attention span for that. ;)

10. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Good answer.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Funny Hair & Lizard Guy would be a good name for a TV series. :p

12. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should watch the entire 5 seasons and then you'll find out when it becomes exciting..

13. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It gets much better as soon as Bruce Boxleitner takes over from "The Incredible Wooden Man" aka Michael O'Hare.

14. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A buddy of mine purchased the original DVD boxsets when they first came out. ( A sizeable investment I might add) and he handed me the first season and said "You missed the original run, watch this!"

I did miss the original run, didn't have any channels around showing the series, so I eagerly took his advise.

After getting about 2/3's of the way through the first season I boxed those puppies up and took them back.

I told him that I didn't have any trouble sleeping and watching this show was relaxing me into a deep sleep waaay before my bedtime. I was sooo disapointed!

He was not happy with me. I didn't mean it as an insult to him...I just could not, for the life of me, get into this dull, dry, boring, mind numbing presentation.

Although I do have to agree Lizard Guy and Big Hair Dude were the only things entertaining about the show.

I'd rather watch TAS than B5!

15. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

It's a shame the first season wasn't better. I suspect a lot of people missed out on the awesomeness that came later as a result of its problems.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFBzzugqbuo[/yt]

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    No show will appeal to everyone. B5's first season is slow going and a lot of the stories don't seem to have much purpose until you have seen the whole series. I came to like the first season most only after seeing the whole show. A lot of the first season episodes are far more meaningful and have a real purpose after you know where the show is going. But the first season really wasn't that compelling the first time through for me.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I couldn't take his acting so I saw only a few season one episodes. I wrote the show off though I did like some of it so when I heard O'Hare was replaced I decided to give it another chance. I loved seasons 2-4. I kind of lost interest after that. It moved to TNT and was on at an inconvienient time for me.

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

You do indeed, ALOT of foreshadowing in the first season.

And that's only slightly a play on words.

But to answer the OP: It gets good in the pilot, and stays good until the end.

19. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I love B5 overall and own the show and the movies on DVD. Still haven't ever picked up S1 though. I've seen the episodes that I know are essential, and just can't justify picking up the season when I know there's a number of episodes I'm likely to find...somewhere between uneventful and painful to watch.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The first season is so much better after you've seen the rest of the show. What you originally thought was boring and pointless turns out to have been laying the groundwork for the story arcs that happen later. It's still not terribly entertaining...but it is interesting to watch.