Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Did you ever think you'd see the day when a studio would spend 300 million on a movie + advertising?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there a reverse inflation widget on the net somewhere?

Can I see that "take" in 1985 dollars and compare it to Back to the Future?

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

And Terminator Salvation, give or take. Final domestic $125m
    Robin Hood (Crowe) +/- a bit as well. Final domestic $105m

GL will land about in the middle of these two most likely.

This isn't new in other words.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there's always hope that interest will increase a bit, as word spreads that it's not nearly as hideously awful as the critics said (most of the user reviews I'm seeing on various sites have it hovering around a B or B-).

Definitely not going to hold my breath about that though.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Heck, they could put it in TV ads: "Green Lantern... not as shite as the AV Club says!"

Ryan Reynolds: "Almost as good as Chris Hemsworth in Thor... if you hate blondes!"

EDIT: (how could I forget?) "Green Lantern... because your eight-year-old son doesn't know what the Cuban Missile Crisis was!" :rommie:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I thought that particular outfit looked pretty darn good on screen. I've also long preferred that look for Sinestro to the more classic black and blue outfit.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watch with interest - I expect nothing, good or bad, nor do I have an intense interest in whether movies in a series are called reboots or sequels. Superman is Superman, after all, whether he's Kirk Alyn, George Reeves, Christopher Reeve or Brandon Routh...and Batman can be Adam West, Michael Keaton or Christian Bale, among others. :cool:

I won't argue with you regarding that blue jester's outfit, I assure you. :lol: And I like the Sinestro Corps outfits in the comics - I just thought the yellow as rendered onscreen looked a bit too Crayola, and think they ought to fine-tune it a bit.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Right here. I entered $60,000,000 in 2011 dollars and it gave me a number of $28.5 million in 1985 dollars, a inflation rate of -52% over the last 26 years.

Its opening weekend Back to the Future made $11 million in 1985 dollars, it opened in pretty much half as many theaters as the Green Lantern did and spent most of the summer in the #1 spot, being dropped to #2 for one week due to National Lampoon's European Vacation. It was #1 pretty much from it's opening in the first weekend in July until late September, taking in about $210m (in 1985 dollars) over the course of the summer in the United States, equal to about $440m in today's dollars.

Keep in mind we're pretty wildly comparing things here, Back to the Future paid for its budget ($11 million) inside of two weeks, opened in far fewer theaters and in a completely different market than what exists today. But $-for-$, Green Lantern's opening weekend was a lot larger than Back to the Future's, the latter featuring a rising star in the acting world (Fox.)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The impression I'm getting here taken from posters here, a variety of reviews and the polling is that while some really like the film and some are really disappointed the majority is middle-of-the-road. Basically it seems to be just okay, with some occasional good moments but overall it's nothing special.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Basically, it's whatever people take away from it - if you really liked it, it's a good movie; if you were disappointed, it's a disappointing movie; if you think it's "just okay, with some good moments but nothing special," then that's what it is. :cool:

11. Guy Gardener

Get the Saw people to make a Lobo movie.

Have Ryan and that Spud form Superman Returns show up to get hack and slashed.

no one wanted to see them "win" but maybe Hollywood will cheer if Superman and green lantern lose a couple limbs in front of the camera as payback for forcing us to watch those shitty shitty movies?

12. Guy Gardener

Thank you :)

it would be almost impossible for a movie today to hold onto the number one spot for that long but if it did, we'd be talking about the first movie to gross over a billion dollars in the box office alone.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You mean like Avatar? Or The Dark Knight?

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Films could once stay several weeks to months in theatrical circulation. But that was before extra could be made through home video rental and sales. Today even a hit film isn't likely to stay in theatres all that long.

15. Valley Forge

Valley Forge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi all,

I liked the GL books, most of all the Kyle books (not so hot on Hal, but whatever).

I really wanted to like this movie, but it fell flat.

The ring looked cheesy, and that wasn't the worst of it. Hal is supposed to be the man without fear, or at least a VERY self-sure, egotistical test pilot. Whether by writing or just not having the chops for the part, Hal came across as a completely whiney flat character, which is completely the opposite of what Hal is in the comics.

THAT one thing pretty much ruined the movie for me.

But the rest of the film was meh. The score was flat. There was no sense of fun, adventure or wonder at the GLCorps. The few shining spots were on Oa and the "origin" scene with Abin and Hal.

Ironman wasn't that great a script, but RDJr OWNED the role. At the end of the movie you pretty much could say "yup, that was Tony Stark".

I thought that Thor was a better flick, and a VERY apt comparason for GL. Here is a lesser known property, but Thor simply rolled over GL. It was a bit glitzy in places, but you were left with a sense of wonder, and Chris Hemsworth was so over the top it was a very enjoyable film.

I will give props to Mark Strong, who gave a great performance.

When I first heard that Marvel was going to try to do a multi-year story, with top talent, leading up to an Avengers movie, I thought to myself "no way will they keep that on track". So far, they have defied my expectation.

I'm not sure if GL is supposed to be in the same "universe" as the current Batman or Superman properties, but it would seem that DC did itself a disservice by following a different track.

Vf

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

From what I understand, DC is goin' for a Justice League movie just 'cause Marvel is makin' an Avengers movie. The difference is, Marvel is tyin' all their movies together, with character crossovers & such, while DC's plan seems to be to make seperate movies for their characters & then throwin' 'em together & callin' it Justice League.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I admit I wondered why Hal was allowed to keep the ring and power battery even after quitting the Corps. Wouldn't they think it was too dangerous to let him run loose on Earth with power like that?

18. Guy Gardener

In the movie it would have been the rings choice to stay of go?

Valley Forge, John Byrne addressed the fact 20 years back that to truly be a man with out fear, that you have to be fairly mentally ill, and that Hal Jordan is indefatigably a literal man with out fear.

Kyle was the one who knew great fear and could over come it, which is why Batman said that he would be a better Green Lantern than Hal Jordan ever was or would be.

This was a Kyle Movie. So much of the landscape was Hal, but the indecisiveness of the character over coming the ridiculously simple and juvinile aspects of his own manchild personality... Okay "manchild" is more Hal than Kyle, but this is a guy he couldn't admit that his life had fell apart when he was selling children's toys door to door.... Hal can excavate platnum and diamonds from the local gass giants single handedly bankrolling the JLA, but instead he sells rag dolls and dump trucks door to door like a paedophile because he's lost his job at Ferris air so spectacularly that no one else will hire him to fly.

Although in comparison it's not much of an origin to meet a smurf with a magic ring while pissed off your nut vomiting behind a bar... Sounds more like a dissociative story attached to an abuse case like in suckerpunch. But don't you just love what the Guardian said when he chose Kyle?

"You'll do."

oh.

Carol Ferris is a dude sometimes called the Predator.

I wonder if Blake would like being two villains?

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

This is one of the inconsistencies in storytelling that I didnt like. I'm guessing Hal didn't officially quit the GLC because he got to hold onto the ring and the battery. He just went back to Earth pretending like nothing happened and then played Mr. Hero when the occasion called for it.

20. Guy Gardener

Maybe it's just like the army more so than the police force, and you can't quit willynilly.

So rather than not taking the ring back, what the powers that be really hadn't actually gotten around to doing is sinking Hal into an Isocell dungeon on Oa for the rest of his life for Desertion.

Y'all remember the Draft right?