Universal Homesexuals?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RobertScorpio, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the Klingons, it'd be a bit problematic, considering that any attempt to initiate a mating ritual would be interpreted as an attack by another male Klingon—unless, of course, it was delivered with a bit of that far-famed Klingon love poetry. :klingon:

Perhaps that's the only time it's acceptable to flee from battle, eh?

"Huhr?!" [​IMG]

Other than the Dax/Khan kiss (which could be dismissed as residual affection derived from a heterosexual relationship), we have little overt evidence of homosexual behavior in Star Trek, which could mean any number of things, in universe, such as:
    • It's entirely a non-issue and completely acceptable under IDIC, but not particularly widespread
    • It was a uniquely human genetic aberration that died out as man began to tinker with his genome—subtly (or not-so-subtly) discouraged so as to aid children in avoiding a still-prevalent stigma; in addition, I certainly think gays might have been targeted during the Eugenics Wars, and those of Colonel Green
    • It proved correctible with advanced medical and/or psychological techniques
    I'm not espousing any of the above, by the way. Each of them, though, is a logical outgrowth of a particular perspective on the origins of/motivations for homosexuality.

I do think various undercurrents of homoeroticism were subtly woven into the Trek tapestry, though: The Seven of Nine/Janeway, Reed/Hayes and Garak/Bashir relationships seemed to possess certain elements that could be interpreted as sexual interplay or tension—though that's certainly not the only way to interpret various of these interactions.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Not to mention Kirk/Spock. ;)

3. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your avatar is a good estimation of Kirk's reaction when such is insinuated. :cool:

4. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

There hasn't been an actual homosexual relationship on Trek yet. There's been some 'titilation' moments for 'lesbian' moments, but that's it.

5. Wil has a posse

Wil has a posse Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure the enlightened cultures would have no problem with it, and the small-minded, backwards ones would.

Just like on Earth today.

6. Bak_and_Blue

Bak_and_Blue Captain Captain

Yep, See Cogenitor for one example, Observer Effect for another

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Have you met Koloth?
    [​IMG]

8. EnsignJulka

EnsignJulka Captain Captain

Uh oh, it all comes out now....:rommie:

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Except it's not restricted to humans...it's been observed in species ranging from whiptail lizards to bottlenose dolphins, flamingoes, vampire bats and giraffes.
    "Correctable" implies defect, which I take issue with.

10. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

9/11. Their position was that it was bad.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Both partners take each other for granite. They'll do anything to get their rocks off.

And a good Horta lover stays hard for a week.

12. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahhh the old, "male-male relationships are disgusting and wrong.... but I'm cool with female-female ones, they're all good cause they turn me on" pathetic hypocritical attitude.

Glad you've gotten offer that ridiculous attitude... sort of, it seems.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Keep this on topic or I'll close it. If I close it, you're welcome to reopen it in the Neutral Zone, but, for it to stay here, you have to be talking about Star Trek (hence the forum, general trek discussion ;) ).

14. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Yep..a double standard, I agree. But a good one to have!!! wink wink

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no homosexuality in the Dominion! :mad:

Well actually there wouldn't be. Changelings are asexual and who the heck knows how they reproduce but my money is on the amoeba analogy. Vorta and Jems are deliberately engineered to have no reproductive ability, since that would be a challenge to the Dominion monopoly on their creation via cloning.

As for Dominion subject races, who cares what they get up to as long as they pay their taxes. ;)

The fact that we've seen female Klingon warriors throws some cold water on that notion - the whole battle-bonding thing could be heterosexual (which wasn't an option for the Spartans) tho perhaps not exclusively. I can see Klingons having the attitude that homosexuality is just part of life, who cares anyway, it's more important to obsess about honor and sing drunkenly for hours on end.

Anyway, Trek has depicted homosexuality - sadly, it's been pretty juvenile, just the leather-lesbo cliche in the Mirror Universe (the Intendant, Mirror Ezri).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  16. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Well I did try dating a nice little split level once. It didn't work out; I found out almost too late that she had shingles. :p

17. Kpnuts

Nope it's a childish and pathetic one to have, assuming you're being serious.

18. apostle83

apostle83 Admiral Admiral

This isn't a flame, troll, or anything designed to be rude. I would just hope that by the time star trek rolls around, we're off this little fad of encouraging what I and many others consider to be sexual immorality.

19. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

A number of these comments here are in no way related to the topic. Let us concern ourselves with the matter at hand.

20. Kpnuts

As opposed to the mods ordering us what to do and trying to censor our comments, wouldn't it make more sense to allow the topic to expand SLIGHTLY beyond it's original premise, thereby promoting good discussion? The topic is about homosexuality, and that's what we're discussing. Could some trigger-happy mods, please take your fingers off the trigger just a tad? Sorry, I hope that doesn't sound harsh.

I'm not undestanding you, what do you mean by that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.