Latest acquisition!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Now this time you got it wrong. The translation is correct, because "Sturm" means attack (Angriff), too. In this case it has nothing to do with bad weather.

http://www.dict.cc/?s=sturm

They could have translated it as: den Himmel stürmen. But "Sturm (Angriff) auf den Himmel" sounds better.

Esther Friesner´s novel has also been translated as "Sturm auf den Himmel". I guess the Cross Cult people knew that. They are also fans. But Esther Friesner´s novel has been published by Heyne Verlag long before Vanguard was released. "Den Himmel stürmen" would have ben an alternative. Or "Angriff auf den Himmel".

Bottom line: there are two similiar translations for different novels. But I can´t see a mistake/an error in the translation whatsoever.

(It is Friesner, by the way ;))

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Looking into that more, that's actually pretty cool, if not surprising since it's kind of a natural metaphor. I'd assumed that it must've been a shared second definition that went back to the proto-Germanic root that both "storm" and "sturm" descend from (*sturmaz), but apparently English didn't pick up the alternate meaning of "storm" as "attack" until the 17th century or so. I know speaking a language doesn't necessarily make you an etymological expert on it or anything, but would you happen to know when "sturm" picked up that meaning? English has the Online Etymology Dictionary, but I can't find anything with a similar level of detail for German; nothing that says when the word picked up that meaning, just the specific route the core definition took. I'm wondering if "sturm" took on that alternate meaning independently, or if it was a borrowing from English, or if the alternate meaning for "storm" was a borrowing from German, as all seem equally likely to me.

3. Kilana2

Duden says, Sturm is from Old and Middle High German.

In Austria "Sturm" is obviously something to drink (a kind of bubbly wine) I will order it next time when I´m at Quark´s, instead of a Warp core breach, that is.

This one is in German, though.

http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Sturm

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Good to know. I should know better than to trust computer translations.

5. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Oh yeah, I did find that much, but I wasn't sure if the OHG word meant both "bad weather" and "attack" the way the German and English words did, since the Old English word only meant "bad weather", and so did the Proto-Germanic word "*sturmar" that both the OE and OHG words came from. The second meaning of "attack" was a relatively new addition for the English word, so I was wondering if it was also a relatively new addition for the German word.

Sorry for going off-topic with this, I just get really interested in etymology minutiae like this. :p

6. Kilana2

Vanguard 6 - Declassified (Enthüllungen) was in my postbox.

Declassified = freigegeben
    Enthüllungen = revelations

As I´m involved with Vanguard, I would say the title is fitting :techman:.

And "Freigegeben" is ill-suited for a German title IMO.

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:Your going to enjoy these Vanguard books .There's a lot of suprises that are in store for the characters in the upcoming books.;) When it comes to the shedai and Vanguard it's going get really exciting it's a roller coaster ride leading up to the final books. I won't spoil it for you Kilana but you're going to like all of these each book keeps getting more exciting you don't want the series to end. I'm so glad the Seeker books continues having characters and story elements from the Vanguard series.

8. Kilana2

Getting these Vanguard novels to kill the time until the German Khan novels are released was indeed the best decision I could make ;).

9. Kilana2

This time in my post box: old stuff by Pamela Sargent and George Zebrowski: Heart of the Sun and Across the Universe.

10. Reanok

Kilana I read those old TOs books last year I really liked both of the books being about Space Exploration. This morning I went to my local Barnes&Noble and got Star trek Tos Crisis of Consciousness by Dave Galanter

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not Trek, but I took advantage of the May the 4th deals and got the digital version of John Jackson Miller's Star Wars: Rebels prequel novel, A New Dawn. Miller is the author of STTTN: Abent Enemies, and STTNG: Takedown.

12. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Wait, the prequel novel has the same title as Episode IV?

13. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was A New Hope.

14. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Bad Markonian. You are banished from sci-fi fandom for six months. :p

15. Christopher

No, that was Star Wars. ;)

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not if you call it Episode IV as Markonian did, once you accept that it's the fourth episode it is A New Hope. ;)

17. Christopher

^So do you "accept" that Greedo shot first? :p

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since my last post I got the e-book versions of ST: The Fall: Revelation and Dust, and ST:VOY: Acts of Contrition.

19. Reanok

I got a used copy of Voyager Home coming by Christie Golden.

20. Kilana2

German edition of Kirsten Beyer's Voyager - Unworthy (Unwürdig), with B'Elanna Torres on the cover. :klingon: :)