Iron Man 2: Grading, Review, Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SalvorHardin, Apr 29, 2010.

?

Grade Iron Man 2

1. Excellent

60 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Above Average

67 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Average

29 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Below Average

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Terrible

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Re: Iron Man 2 - Grading & Discussion Thread (spoilers guaranteed)

The Concorde has been out of service for years.

Strange that this movie is released in Europe before in America, given that it's an American movie, featuring American actors and based on an American comic book chatacter.

Seriously, what kind of crap is that?

2. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Yep, saw it yesterday night in Argentina.

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was very enjoyable, the casting was superb. Rourke and Rockwell were great, especially the latter. Cheadle's presence didn't take me out of the movie at all, the re-cast wasn't a big deal for me and I thought he did a good job. However if one watches the films back to back...might be an issue but oh well. War Machine was awesome!

Loved the references to the Marvel Universe, ScarJo was great and had some funny moments with Favreau. Good to see Nick Fury more, and the use of the shield was :lol:

I thought the final battle with Whiplash was maybe a bit abrupt, but that's really the only complaint. I didn't catch any references to the Mandarin this time either.

I'm glad the sequel kept the same tone as the first film, it's nice to have a superhero movie that's a fun romp and not all brooding (not that I don't like the brooding but it's nice to have something different).

And with the scene after the end-credits...well I can't wait until the release of the other Marvel movies. But with regards to the extra scene the question is how did he get there, and I suppose what state is he in?

4. Gecko of Gorn

Gecko of Gorn Commodore Commodore

It was cool. Good to see Rourke in pretty reasonable form.

ScarJo's arse should have had a credit.

7/10.

5. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it yesterday afternoon. I'm not one to write big reviews so I'll keep it brief.
    Yeah, it was good. But certainly nothing overly amazing at all. Whereas the characters really buzzed in the first film, here they just seem kinda flat.
    The fight scenes were awesome, notably the Monaco Grand Prix scene and the final battle of Iron Man & War Machine vs Micky Rourke, but the latter of which was over way too quickly IMO.
    Plus it felt like a total retread of the first movie's climax; Iron Man vs a bad guy in a bigger metal robo suit.
    I could also have done with a little more Iron Man in the movie, not that I don't enjoy Tony Stark, but he only properly puts the suit on and kicks ass twice in the whole film.

I was tempted to go for 'Average' but I'll rise it to 'Above Average' just for Scarlett Johanson alone. Everytime she was on screen I couldn't help uttering this kind of gutteral moan. mmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

6. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

It's actually being released in North America last.

And to think somebody was mocking me the other day when I said foreign box office was now more important than domestic. :rolleyes:

7. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First off, some spoilers ahead.

Sadly, I found it quite disappointing. I love the first movie, it showed such love for the characters and had a real sense of fun. This one though felt as though they were on autopilot. Sure, the cast are good and they each have moments when they shine (love Sam Rockwell!!) but the second half of the movie especially felt rushed, with no real sense of threat from the baddies (who are taken out far too easily).
    Scarlett looks fantastic but would the story have suffered if she hadn't been there? The drunken Iron Man party scene was embarrasing. It reminded me of the dancing Peter Parker in Spidey 3.
    The final battle at Expo might as well have been from Transformers. Next time, who ever directs it, please have something other than Iron Man vs. Baddie in big armour suit. It's boring already. Surely there's more to IM than that.
    What did I like? Well, as I said the cast are great and some of the dialogue was very sharp. The Monaco scene was fantastic as were the nods to Cap America and Thor.
    All in all though, while entertaining enough, it was a big drop off from the charm, excitment and fun of the first one. I think it needs a touch of darkness. Not 'Dark Knight' dark but we need to see Tony deal with problems in a human way, not just with tech. The blood disease stuff in this makes me doubt if they'll go back to deal with the alcohol problem from the comics and deal with it in an adult way. The Tony Stark of these movies could never, as the film in fairness says, lead the Avengers. Time for him and the films, to mature into something tougher and more substantial.

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The reason I've seen given for this is that they are opening it a week earlier outside the US because of the Word Cup that starts June 11.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3id3e6c7f5a136381a419290a88d360d0e

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

But that's not for another month. :wtf:

What's coming out in America Today? Furry Vengence? Uh, yeah like I'm going to see that. I think it should have been released all over on the same day.

10. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is the point of staggered releases in the first place? Putting a film out there but limiting the areas which can go see it the legal way--particularly with blockbusters like this--seems like it would encourage piracy.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

11. Ethros

Just another thought, I think it also suffered being one of those films where "if you've seen the trailer you've seen the film"

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Seems like total crap to me!

It's not often that I get a Friday night off. I would have loved to go see this tonight. I guarantee I won't be able to next weekend.

13. SalvorHardin

It's been out for 2 days & the weekend is just beginning.
    Isn't it a bit early to be judging if it's suffered from anything or not ?

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't think he means it suffered in the box office. I think he means the story suffered because the previews gave too much away.

15. SalvorHardin

My mistake then.:alienblush:

16. Ethros

^ Aye. I wasn't referring to takings at all.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have a feeling this is one movie where we won't have to worry about how much money it makes.

18. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I really enjoyed it. Good action, good story, some funny moments.

I've seen a few complaints here and there that Iron Man wasnt in it enough. The problem I have with that is that both this and the first film go out of their way to make it abundantely clear that Iron Man IS Tony Stark. So a film that features Tony Stark is a film that features Iron Man whether in suit or not. Was the suit itself seen enough in this film? Maybe, maybe not, but in my opinion, the appearance of the suit, or lack of it, doesnt detract from the film at all.

19. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

I can't speak for all countries but in Belgium and France, premieres happen on Wednesday. So I can understand they'd rather make the US wait 2 days than let us wait 5 days. It's the best compromise. And it's been happening for plenty of movies for a few years now.

20. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was okay, not great but okay.

Johansson's character seemed pretty much pointless. Paltrow could have done with more time on screen. If you hadn't seen the first one for a while you could easily forget that she is actually more than just a PA to Stark.

Question: Why doesn't Iron Man have a weapon he can fire when he's flying? Seems a bit odd not to have one.

I was about to say I didn't see Stan Lee in the movie but just checked and didn't realise he was Larry King.