The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

'Cause he was born in Iowa?

Or, I should say in the original timeline (which STIV takes place in) he was born in Iowa on 2233. By 2246 he was on Tarsus IV.

2. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, he calls them Centauri slugs, but the look and how he describes them ("it'll latch on to your brain stem, releasing a toxin which will make you extremely suggestible and give up the codes to Starfleet's defenses") are clearly a homage to TWOK.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  3. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

You know, the original universe was not destroyed. It's out there somewhere, with our fond memories. Well, mostly fond. I am, however, very happy that we are not going back to that universe.

4. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Any indication of how far along Winona Kirk is in the pregnancy at the time of Nero's attack? If she was in the latter stages, and James was born in Iowa in the pre-Nero timeline, then would that imply that the Kelvin was due to return to Earth shortly at this time, to give Winona the opportunity to have her baby on Earth?

5. FlyingLemons

The film makes it very clear that the expanding supernova was stopped, and thus the TNG timeframe where Spock Prime came from was saved. And also both the bridge crew and Nero ("You were regarded as a great man - you became Captain of the Enterprise, but that was another life!") pound in the fact that it's an alternate timeline due to the changes made by Nero's arrival in the past.

She seems to be giving birth before the Narada attacks the Kelvin, at least when we first see her. There's nothing to indicate the attack disrupted the normal birth cycle as such.

6. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

this really gives you away, April. oh man.

:lol:

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the impression that she was going to give birth to baby Jim any time now, even if the attack hadn't happened.

8. FlyingLemons

I quite liked the Kobyashi Maru sequence. Who'd have thought you could get into so much trouble for cheating at a video game?

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jesus, what a dumb thing to nitpick.

I was born in D.C. I lived there for the first six months of my life. I've lived mainly in various parts of am East Coast state for all the decades since.

When people ask me where I'm from I say I'm from the state where I've lived my entire life save six months. Why in the fuck would I say "I'm from D.C.?" :guffaw:

10. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah, I've got a whole lotta places I'm from. India, NJ, DC. what to pick? what to pick?!

:p

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just to say the Not Canon was more of a joke, in that its what any fanboy (mainly Trek) says when they really dislike something. A few Trek fans do like to pick and choose their canonicity of Trek, which I never really went with until I saw this film.

What other specific aspects of the film did you not like? Just curious.[/QUOTE]
    What didn't I like? As I say I don't want to write an essay, but it just didn't feel like Star Trek to me at all. It was just like any other whiz bang meaningless summer blockbuster you see, all jazzed up like say 2007's Transformers with a huge mess of CGI and a few tits and arse shots for the Zoo/Nuts crowd all hide that it has no soul and is forgettable throwaway trash.

I would have preferred if they'd simply gone for a reboot/remake plain & simple (ala Batman Begins for example) rather that trying to ram into the canon. I really don't see how the event of the USS Kelvin battle made Starfleet radically change their interior & exterior Starship design, erased 'The Cage' from existence, gave Spock & Uhura a romance, etc etc?
    And mostly I just found it boring. Once it got to the part where Kirk was marooned on the ice planet the whole film was blatantly signposted- he's gonna find old Spock and Scotty, get back on the Enterprise somehow, take command, save the day, end up as Captain, bla bla bla. Which when it's a prequel you can kinda expect what to happen anyway, but not for it to be so dull.
    It started out pretty "meh" I thought, but when it got to the scene of Kirk meeting McCoy I though "oh that's cool, this might be pretty sweet actually". But it just went back to meh and worse.

Here's a thing, I remember that thing where at some fan showing of Wrath of the Khan recently Leonard Nimoy showed up and played them this film instead. About two thirds into watching it I would have HAPPILY had them turn it off and watch WOK instead on the big screen. Hell, Search For Spock would have done.

And going back to why I'd have preferred it as a remake, then you wouldn't have to have all of TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY and the movies as we know them erased from existence by this "new timeline"
    I find that offensive frankly, it just wasn't necessary to make a decent movie

The constant lens flares just got annoying, Chekov was embarrassing, the music was atrocious (I kept thinking "just use the John Williams theme, not this pathetic lifeless dross"), the Enterprise is dog ugly, Nero was a total cypher with no charatcer at all, Shinzon was better than he was for chrissakes, the Kobayashi Maru part just seemed slapped in their to keep the fans happy, the line about Admiral Archer's beagle was retarded in its illogicity...

Oh well, at least Abrams kept up the truism once spoken by Simon Pegg about the odd numbered Trek films

Haha, nice rant. See? You got me writing an essay! :)

If you like it fine, just to express my opinion that I thought it sucked. Definitely won't be buying the DVD

12. SalvorHardin

Well, expecting anything more from the good captain wouldn't be realistic.

13. SalvorHardin

I can accept all you didn't like about this film though I disagree, but after all we've read and seen onscreen to see this utter crap about erasures from existence again is truly unbelievable...

14. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I agree with you SalvorHardin. The original timeline is not destroyed. There are just 2 timelines now.

15. Darth_Yoda

Darth_Yoda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I don't know what to say, I was blown away by it and really enjoyed the movie. It had great action and humour and all the main cast were good.

I have to say Pike was awesome and I hope he is in any future movies.

I would write more but my brain is all over the place with excitement at the moment :p

16. FlyingLemons

The whole alternate timeline thing is the explanation preferred by modern scientists for time travel (well, to discuss it in full would go wildly off topic) but basically it's thought the universe avoids paradoxes by splitting off timelines. The idea is if you go and say, assassinate your grandfather in the past, it becomes its own separate reality where things can happen differently so no blowback affects the timeline you started from.

Hence Nero's shenanigans during the film make it an alternate reality, and thus the canon of the previous universe is preserved, no destruction occuring.

17. Wesser

Wesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Along the lines of the BTTF trilogy for example, once you change the past it's altered. Simple as. You can go back and try and fix it, but in some shape or other its changed. The original timeline of BTTF 1 of Lorriane & George having crap lives and crummy jobs is erased after Marty changes things, it's not still there running along side it.

But I can see what you're saying, and even if you do go with that I don't get how that explains the MASSIVE changed we see in such a short space of time for everything to be so different.
    But my main gripe with that aspect of the film is "why?" Just make it a remake/reboot from the start. Then you wouldn't have this nonsensical mess of a plot and you could just do a cool story about Kirk, Spock and co's maiden voyage.

Some people say Jumping the Shark. Some say Nuking the Fridge. I might start saying Destroying Vulcan. :wtf:

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the "old timeline" is gone in the sense that we won't be seeing Trek TV shows and movies set there any more. Who knows, if Paramount feels this version is successful enough to commit to it the folks in charge of licensing may insist on adherence to at least the new visual iconography on TOS-era games, books and so on...

20. Wesser

Wesser Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This reminds me of that Ned Flanders quote: "Oh. It's Lisa Simpson. Springfield's answer to the question NO ONE EVER ASKED!"