Nolan 'Unsure' about Batman Sequel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Oct 28, 2008.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Found this on IMDB

2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Yes, films movies are very tricky, indeed.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

A part of me wishes Nolan WON'T make a third...go out on top and all of that.

A third WILL be made, with Box Office like Dark Knight, of course it will be made....

4. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The actual article, as opposed to the typical imdb butchering of movie news, is pretty interesting. One choice tidbit:

Of course there'll be athird movie, as to whether or not Nolan will be involved, sounds to me like it's all about whether or not there's an interesting story there. Which is just what it should be about.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

With where TDK left off there has to be a third movie. Batman's on the run, we have no batmobile anymore and we haven't seen the new cave.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The liberty I'm taking with his statement (which are in depth and undoctored about the net) is that he is wanting to make sure its as artistically important to the character as TDK was for the character(s). I see Nolan as much more an artist in his field then I do say Michael Bay. I think if Nolan took a year and couldn't come up with an idea that pleased him he would pass on doing a 3rd Batman. Warners on the other hand would just get Paul Anderson or some other step down in talent director and make the movie.

There will be another Batman, count on it.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a great interview. On the second page Nolan discusses his favorite scene in greater detail.

A couple of years ago I finished my novel Two Minds, and it was important to me to not have the hero and villain meet up very much, and that their differences are philosophical, nad are exemplified by the world around them, and not themselves. TDK is the film that comes closest to what I was trying to capture.

8. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure, there'll be a third movie, but will it be the right one?

After Batman Returns, it seemed obvious that the next film would involve the return of Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman. (Arguably, it was that portrayal that launched the idea of Catwoman as a semi-separate franchise.) But it never happened, and instead we got the Schumacher sequels and the much-later Halle Berry movie.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That doesn't seem very different from what he's been saying previous. The jist of it being that he's unsure about a third movie (as the thread title points out) and would have to wait until he's jazzed about a story. The success of The Dark Knight seems to have put the third one in a kind of hazy flux. Give it another year and see what he thinks...he probably wants a break.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, there is the go-to guy when it comes to making other people's third installments, that being the director of Red Dragon and X-Men: The Last Stand. :p

11. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I found interesting about this article though is that plainly he's ruminating on a third installment to see if there's an interesting story there.

But, just speaking personally, I never thought we'd get two such fantastic movies at Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I'm prepared for this to be the peak of Batman movies for quite some time. Meaning, I won't be surprised if Nolan passes, or if, whether he passes or not, the third installment ain't so great.

I just figure it's good karma to be thankful for what you have and not get greedy.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm 90% sure Nolan will make another film. I'm 100% sure Warner will.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

There is one more story for Nolan I feel and it doesn't matter that a 3rd movie will be below TDK in terms of quality as long as we get a good movie overall with a good end to Nolan's story.

14. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

A third Batman movie that is "not as good" as The Dark Knight? Wouldn't that still be in the realm of "better than almost anything out there?"

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

While I thoroughly enjoyed TDK, and felt that it did a pretty good job of capturing Batman as a character, I did find it too intense. There was no breathing time at all during the movie.

I think that a redemption style of movie would certainly work, which is perhaps how Robin could be introduced (hopefully becoming Nightwing by the end)--if anybody could pull off a "realistic" Robin, it is Nolan.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Warners will be doing a third Batman movie in the next few years whether Nolan agrees to do it or not. There is too much money at stake.

We can only hope that if the movie goes foward without Nolan that it will at least be half as good as TDK. Also Brett Ratner needs to stay the hell away from this franchise.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I remember reading in the other threads here that Nolan has three franchises fates resting in his hands.

WB is waiting for Nolan to sign on to Batman 3. Then WB can go ahead with Green Lantern and Superman

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Somewhere JacksonArcher is having a coronary.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Which makes absolutely no logical sense.

20. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I agree with everyone who says there will definitely be a 3rd Batman film. However, if Nolan does not feel he can match or top himself, then I would applaud him for sticking to his artistic integrity and walking away having made two of the best comic book films in ages.