Star Trek questions that need answering

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by IzzyAtWarp9, Jul 24, 2013.

1. IzzyAtWarp9

IzzyAtWarp9 Commander Red Shirt

Depending on how popular this is, I'll be posting a new question roughly every week. This thread is for those questions that Star Trek needs to have answered (well, in my opinion (so WARNING most of these will probably be kinda fangirly sorry :vulcan:))
    This week:

Riker: Beard or no beard?

When I first saw him with a beard I thought it didn't suit him but once the new uniforms came in I thought it made him look more commanding.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The beard was improvement. First season's baby-face Riker looked to me like Roger Korby's android making machine gone awry trying to clone William Shatner. Frakes definitely seemed more comfortable with the beard. It's like Avery Brooks and the Sisko hair thing.

3. IzzyAtWarp9

So do you like Sisko with or without hair? I'd definitely go with.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think Brooks was more comfortable with his head shaved. And it seemed to improve his performance. That's as close to a like/dislike you'll get from me. ;)

5. IzzyAtWarp9

Hmm that's true the character massively improved... You may have converted me :P

6. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Riker is better with the beard. The beard commands/demands respect. Riker would never have had the guts to put his leg up on peoples' consoles and shove his crotch into their face without growing the beard first.

Sisko is better with the Van Dyke. The Van Dyke made him more dark/threatening and fit the war story they were trying to tell. Van Dyke Sisko is not a man to be trifled with.

Hmm. Had Riker been Sisko's XO instead of Worf, the Dominion War would have been over in a single episode. When their beard powers combine...

7. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Riker with the beard, definitely. He looked way too young to be XO without it.

I think I liked Sisko best during the brief period he had both facial AND scalp hair.

8. IzzyAtWarp9

That is so true I would love to see that. The new film - Star Trek: Wrath of the Beards

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

James Kirk and the Giant Peach Fuzz.

10. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

I liked Riker better with the beard, but it also was a pleasant change when he had it shaved off all those years later in "Insurrection".

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't that kinda the point of Riker, he was a young hot-shot who was climbing the ranks quickly. Anyways, I'm more used to seeing him with beard, so I'd have to say I prefer him with it. It has been a while since I watched him beardless though.

I'm with you on this one, Sisko suited the hair and beard together.

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Beard, babyface was more fun but the beard got things done.

Without for the same reason.

13. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With the beard, definitely.

14. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Definitely with the beard-ola. Troi shaved it off in Insurrection and look how crappy that movie was!

15. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Riker had a beard in Generations and First Contact and those movies sucked, too ;)