WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CTM, May 12, 2009.

1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah this is the only thread I subscribe to.

2. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

me too.

3. Pauln6

I wonder if there will be much in the Haynes Manual about the refit?

4. CTM

CTM Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was a great experience at Maker Faire, but after 14+ hours of talking non-stop and being on my feet yesterday, I was exhausted - fell asleep about as fast as my head hit the pillow. Woke up this morning and felt like I had just wrapped up a LONG day, and was ready for bed - unfortunately, I had to drive home.
    Now home, unloaded, and "ready" to go back to work tomorrow, I might actually get to work on THIS project this week. I'm going to make a point of doing so, because I have been forced to be idle with it for far too long.

5. CTM

Good news everybody! I finally got enough time to make some progress on this project. I spent some time and generated a detailed plan view of the bridge interior. Next up, I need to build the structures shown.
    [​IMG]

6. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very nice work there :techman: :)

7. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I never doubted you for a second...good job.

8. Bryan B)

Bryan B) Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Bumping in 3...2...1...

I made the mistake of trying to work this math, on another thread. I came up with about 6ft between the bridge dome interior & exterior walls at the base, almost enough to fit in the TUC lift locations, if you prefer... particularly if the bridge floor were lowered about half a deck, like in Jaspers' earlier suggestion.

There's a storyline for that...taking a page from "Mr. Scott's Guide", the 1701A was the first E-size cruiser with transwarp drive, yet the TVH bridge was obviously based on the same systems layout as the 1701. It's conceivable that the 1701A's first outing revealed its M-6 computer was unsuitable for transwarp, and it went straight back for an upgrade to an entirely different (TNG-style) computer core. Along with that came the redesigned TFF bridge, mounted a few feet lower to improve maintenance access to the console-to-core interfaces (which now occupied most of B deck), and also to make room for more topside sensor gear, all without altering the armored outer pressure hull.

Anyway, phenomenal job on the TMP model, CTM! Can't wait for more pics of our favorite ship :techman:

9. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

10. -SS-

-SS- Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just read this thread today and, CTM, you are my new internet hero. Your work is absolutely fantastic, and your drive to continue working on it is incredible.

11. CTM

Well, once I finish modeling the interior, I will try to fit it into the exterior, and we shall see where the disparity lies.
    That will have to wait, however, as I am finishing up 2-d floorplans of an Oberth (I will post in a separate thread shortly) for my Gaming Group.

12. CTM

It is worth noting that my bridge floorplan comes from Mr. Scott's Guide, and I will incorporate any/all info sources I can to properly model it.

13. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Great work CMT. I've always wanted to see a 3D deck by deck version of my favorite starship. I wish someone did some maps of this ship for EliteForce. They did it for the original Enterprise.

Some observations and questions.
    1. Main Engineering looks like the Turboshaft goes in front of the pressure door we see in TMP and TWOK sets, at the front of engineering. Am I seeing that correctly. While it is not the definitive source, Mr. Scotts guide says the turbo shaft shifted over on the deck above after exiting the dorsal. It also says this deck, which you say is cramped, housed the engineering computer system. Could you not have your shaft shift over on this deck to? I think its Turbo shaft did not go straight down the dorsal, but did a stair step drop down the back of the dorsal.

2. Does your dorsal support emergency saucer sep?

3. Again, Mr. Scotts Guide shows a vertical computer core running from under Deck A to the sensor dome on the bottom of the saucer.

4. The concave sections are supposed to support tanks for water and air and hydrogen.

5. Do you have room on your port rear side of F & G decks for the aux fusion reactors?

6. Does your F deck have the exterior hatch used in TMP to exit E and walk to V'GER?

7. Do you have stair wells and or ladders down the center of the saucer and the rear of the dorsal?

On the topic of bridges, personally if I was the ships designer, I would replace that A deck airlock with the Captains ready room and make that a window and remove that console behind the CON with a door to the room. I like the TWOK bridge layout, but prefer the TFF workstations. But I know you're trying to make as faithful as possible version of the TMP version.

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see the finished product.

14. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/enterprise-deck-plans-sheet-8.jpg

I'm not certain if these are the plans you were using, but center section of P Deck should be pushed together to replace the center corridor. Otherwise, to get to the port turbolift tube, the car must travel down to T deck before it can get back over to the starboard side of the ship and back on the main line.

Some of the turbolifts are over done. Do they really need so many stops.

15. Dr. Stantz

Dr. Stantz Ensign Newbie

Another Problem with the Strategic Design plans is that they show only one sickbay complex (14 beds, but in twok the bed sections were numbered, and seem to go to 28).

[​IMG]

The easiest way to fix this is to shuffle some stuff around and lose two transporter rooms:

Copy the red sickbay to over the pink yellow and red circles (with the copied transporter room going over the red circled one) and moving the two yellow circled labs to replace the two purple transporter rooms and adjusting the sizes a bit so all four labs are slightly smaller but you have the two sickbays (which makes sense for a crew of 500) and it still leaves 3 transporter rooms on that deck. The new sickbay would be the primary one (beds 1-14) since it has a transporter room on either side and means the old sickbay is the one, with the far left side being the one seen in the screen shot.

[​IMG]

The other problem they also have the Senior officer quarters on deck 4 and normal officers on deck 5, but TMP showed CAPTAIN Kirks quarters on deck 5 and in TWOK ADMIRAL Kirks were on Deck 4 (which makes sense, since he was a guest so VIP Quarters in TWOK but in Command in TMP so Senior Officer Quarters).

This can be easily fixed by making some deck 5 quarters for senior officers, continue doing so for the other ranks until you get to the enlisted ranks, and then changing the junior most enlisted quarters into the 9 person bunk rooms seen in TUC.

16. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Wow we haven't heard from him since May. I hope he's okay.

17. Pauln6

Yeah - I miss him :(

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I'm glad this thread resurfaced and was hoping for an update. Now I'm kind of concerned too. :confused:

19. CTM

I'm alive, but buried under work (after spending a month overseas). Maybe someday I'll get back to this project..... Winter seems to be a good time for such.

20. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

(whew)
    I thought something had happened to you. I was about to send a PM.
    No hurries...