Funniest Star Trek Line Reading

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Too Much Fun, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I don't usually make impulsive threads like this, but I couldn't resist...I just had to share the joy of a Star Trek-related experience right after having it. I just laughed the hardest I ever have at a "Star Trek" episode, and I was surprised at when and why! :D I've seen this episode and moment in the past (two or three times, in fact), but it has never affected me like this before.

In "Tomorrow is Yesterday", Kirk is talking to the computer and it calls him "dear". Shatner, completely straight-faced and deadpan replies, "Computer, you are not to address me in that manner" and :rofl::guffaw::lol: OH MAN, I laughed so hard I embarrassed myself (the person watching TV downstairs thought I sounded like a lunatic). Sometimes the funniest moments aren't even the most overtly comedic ones...just the instances of someone playing the straight man against something ridiculous.

The Mudd episodes and "The Trouble with Tribbles" are often listed as the best comedic episodes, but this one should be right up there with them. The facial expressions of the security guard beamed into the transporter room (especially when McCoy slowly disarms him) were a hoot too. Shatner's delayed line readings have been the focus of much mockery over the years, but at this moment I have nothing but affection for them. They made this line (as well as his "Please...not again" in response to Riley's agonizing singing in "The Naked Time") uniquely hilarious in a way that no one else's line readings could have been. I invite others to share favourite funny Star Trek line readings here.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only wish we could have seen Majel's facial expression when she was recording those lines. She was probably having a total blast. :techman:

"Computed..." :( :lol:

3. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

That ep was so chock filled with goofy 60s fun! Thanks for reminding me of that one. It's been a while since i watched it.

4. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd love to have been around for that pitch meeting!

"And here, we'll have the computer flirt with Kirk!"

"Are you stoned?"

"Duh."

"...moving on then."

5. Baldus885

Baldus885 Captain Captain

"Take Dartagnien here to sickbay!" from The Naked Time. It's totally out of character for Spock, and yet Nimoy plays it perfectly straight. I crack up every time I see it.

6. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^One of my favorites, too.

I also like Spock at the end of Friday's Child, words to the effect of, "I think you two will be inordinately pleased with yourselves." Something about the way he says it just makes me laugh.

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhura's "Sorry, neither" in The Squire of Gothos always cracks me up.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

"THE WOMEN!!"

9. THX1138

THX1138 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

"Kirk, I'm gonna lock you up for 200 years!"

"That oughta be... just about right."

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Pretty much anything Jadzia says when she's on the NCC-1701 in "Trials and Tribble-ations." When she's wondering how great it would be to meet Koloth, Kirk, etc. and Sisko stops her, then she just starts pouting and says "It would have been fun..." :guffaw:

11. Kirk1980

I love the look on Shatner's face as he says that... amused, then kind of weary.

12. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my favorites (as a USAF veteran it always strikes me.) But I've always had my own caption

[​IMG]
    "Ok Kirk..what's this 'Technical Manual' and who's this Commie named Franz Joseph?"

13. Kirk1980

YES, THAT LOOK!

14. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

HELLS YES!. We have never been in so much agreement. This is a main reason that episode made me a Jadzia fan for life. :techman::techman::techman::techman::techman: