Holidays 2013 - What's on Your Wishlist This Year?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the first time in many, many years that I don't really have much of a budget for giving away Christmas presents. I've always been more focused on giving gifts rather than receiving. At the moment, the only thing I can think of getting for myself is The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey extended Blu-Ray set. And maybe some clothes and winter accessories.

What say you? It doesn't have to be material gifts per se. What do you want for Christmas this year?

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have asked the few people I normally get and receive presents from to donate to ShelterBox rather of buying anything for me. Out of the five people I asked only two agreed to do so :(.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  3. Gryffindorian

Giving to charity is always a noble cause. My employer has an annual adopt-a-family drive during the holidays in collaboration with the Salvation Army. There are wish lists from low-income families that we try to fulfill. Some employees shop for gifts, while others donate cash.

4. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

As I couldn't remember anything I wanted this year I decided to buy myself a little feel-good gift: I twinned my bog!

http://www.toilettwinning.org/

I also don't have a lot of people to give more than symbolic gifts this year :bolian:

5. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I looked at the toilet twinning site on International Toilet Day. I hope I might be able to twin my toilet sometime next year. It is a good cause. Did you specify a particular country for your toilet or are you leaving the choice up to others?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  6. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

^I chose Ethiopia.

And I got the idea from that thread on that day :)

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

8. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

Stuff we want from other people, or stuff we've given ourselves?

My mom asked me what I wanted, I told her socks.

I bought myself every Star Trek movie on bluray as my xmas gift to myself this year.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

What I'd really like is to get to do something really "Christmasy" with friends and/or hubby--like going to see a Christmas-themed play, a Christmas light display, a Christmas party or some such. Doesn't look like it will happen this year, though. :(

As for material goods, I'd like some clothes from Coldwater Creek, some cat toys for Junior or one of those nice Jim Shore Santas.

10. Gryffindorian

More like what you want for yourself. In my case, I just want more money to buy presents for others. :lol: I've narrowed down the list of friends and work buddies I want to gift this year. Also, my family has decided to do a Secret Elephant gifts exchange to save money.

11. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to go back to Sydney and see the family.

In two and a bit hours, I will be doing exactly that.

This is going to be an excellent Christmas. There's nothing worse than December 25th on your own - no shops are open.

12. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I asked for the usual: silent movies.
    This year I asked for Douglas Fairbanks' "The Three Musketeers" and "The Iron Mask", a collection of Buster Keaton short films, and Louise Brooks "Beggars Of Life". My family draws names and has a fifty dollar limit, so I won't get all of these, but the fun is in the surprise.

As for non-material....I've gotten my vacation time approved, and really that's the main draw for Christmas as I get to visit my family.

13. mari

mari Captain Captain

I've asked for nothing but maternity clothes, which my mother has gotten for me (we went shopping, because I'm picky). I'd like my son's next ultrasound on 12/24 to be perfect, as the last one had a questionable measurement. He was squirming a lot. That's about it. So pretty much everyone has given up on me and is getting me stuff for the baby... unless someone got me Shatner's new album, which would be cool. Oh, and I'd also like a quiet Christmas at home, but that's not happening since I have to go visit my sister and her family... but that's a damn sight better than her bringing the boys down again. OMG my poor house is still a mess from Thanksgiving.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

What's a secret elephant exchange?

15. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Sounds like a portmanteau of Secret Santa and White Elephant.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is nothing I want. We are doing Kris Kringle this year and the person who has me is considered one of the "good" ones to get because she will buy something well thought out, I'm quite looking forward to seeing what it is. There are a few others that are considered disastrous to get as they will probably buy you a keychain despite the minimum of twenty bucks required :lol:

I bought the person I got for Kris Kringle a bottle of perfume that is discontinued and hard to find which I knew she very much wanted.

I did all my shopping in November in one night, online.

This year our Xmas theme is STAR WARS and all the table settings and decorations are Star Wars themed :D

17. Gryffindorian

I came up with the idea last year. :D I made up some game rules to make things more interesting.

18. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

A bag of pot. :)

19. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How I know Christmas as an adult is different than Christmas as a kid?

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said socks and underwear. And the thing is I really DO want socks and underwear. In fact if January 10th(my birthday) rolls around and I don't have some new socks and underwear I am going to be pissed.

Oh and also a new iPod and a job I can be at least somewhat proud of.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would like to get a Tablet this Christmas. Other than that, it's mostly gift cards and an electric toothbrush.