Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I always head the voice of the Xindi Arboreal Jannar from Enterprise, played by Rick Worthy.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

While reading Raise the Dawn, I had an idea for whom to cast as Gell Kamemor, the Romulan Praetor. Before, I'd been imagining her as an elderly matron, maybe a Judi Dench type, but the book described her as relatively younger, middle-aged but still with black hair. And something about the way she was described in a particular scene, the way she reacted to an upsetting situation with calm and poise, reminded me very much of Olivia Williams's performance as Adele DeWitt in Dollhouse. And Williams's shorter hairstyle in season 2 of that series did look a bit Romulan. Maybe she's a bit young for the part, but otherwise I think she's a good choice.

3. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

That's a good thought. I have to admit that for myself I heard Salome Jens voice when I read much of Kamemor's dialogue. The cadences of some of the longer passages brought to mind the combination of steel and sympathy that she used as the "female" changeling when talking to Odo.

4. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Hmm, I don't know Olivia Williams, but I do know Judi Dench; I could see her as Kamemor (I've been having trouble casting her), although I think I could see her better as Bacco. Hmm, yeah: Judi Dench with an American, ideally a New York/New England-ish, accent. Okay, I have my Bacco!

And yeah, after having looked her up, and watched her on YouTube, Olivia Williams would make a good Kamemor, although I do think she's a little too young. (And I personally would need the accent to be a little gentler to fit the limited notions I do have about Kamemor.)

Anyone have any ideas for casting Anxo Rogeiro?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think I had someone in mind while reading Plagues of Night, but I'm not sure I remember who it was. I think it was probably Esai Morales, since he had a recurring role on Fairly Legal during the time when I read the book.

6. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Benjamin Bratt (Clear and Present Danger) as Rogeiro, perhaps?
    And Rachel Weisz as Kamemor (though Olivia Williams isn't so bad, either).
    All of the appearing TNG, DS9, and TOS actors would come back, respectfully. ;)
    Who could play Jefferson Blackmer?

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kamemor: Carolyn Seymour.

8. Paper Moon

:wtf: No offense, but I've hated her in the Romulan roles she's played. (Actually in the "First Contact" [episode, not movie] too.) I mean, I can definitely see her as Kamemor, and of course my reaction is totally subjective and idiosyncratic, but still. One of my least favorite Trek actors/actresses there.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

10. Paper Moon

Aw man, no need to apologize! I should be the one apologizing for reacting so vehemently! I am sorry.

11. Epsilon IX

Epsilon IX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whilst we're on the subject of Kamemor, I imagined Vanessa Regrave in the role. This was after seeing her in Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus in which we saw her in some kind of position of power and influence as the mother of the title character. Also in terms of age, I think she fits the look of the character.

12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

This is a really good call, actually. I hadn't imagined her that way, but when you mention it, I can totally see it.

13. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We should reverse things for a change. Who should Carla Gugino play?

14. Paper Moon

^^^ In this vein, I was actually thinking just this morning, "Who in TrekLit could I cast Tony Shalhoub as?"

15. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm - I know we're used to seeing him as Monk, but I think Shalhoub can be gritty and disheveled enough to pull off Cervantes Quinn if he had to.

16. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Anyone she wants. :drool:

But seriously and no insult intended to Nicole Deboer but if one were going to recast Ezri Carla Gugino would not be a bad choice.

Yeah I could see it. Look at how scummy he looks as Jack Jeeves in Men In Black.

17. WarsTrek1993

I'll do some reversing myself:

Woody Harrleston as Quinn; or John C. Reilly.

Fred Dalton Thompson as Akaar.

Jeremy Renner as Lee Kelso?

Any roles for Willem Dafoe in Trek lit?

18. Mr. Laser Beam

AFAIK, Admiral Batiste from the VOY relaunch was written with him in mind.

As for Lee Kelso: Connor Trinneer.

In the novels, Lee was raised in an orphanage, so he could be a Charles Tucker descendant and not even know it...

19. WarsTrek1993

Heh, I could see him playing that snake Batiste.
    I like Connor Trinneer as Kelso. It could very well fit! Interesting that he might be a relative/descendant of Tucker.

20. Paper Moon

Ha, I could see Fred Thompson as Akaar. I've also pictured Jonathan Hyde as Akaar, primarily from his work as Ilya Gavrik on Spooks/MI-5 (that voice!). As such, I end up giving Akaar a Russian accent, which can be cool, make things more interesting.

Speaking of accents, I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I give First Minister Asarem a reasonably strong Nigerian accent. I tend to imagine the voice of a particular Nigerian female friend I have when reading her lines. I don't know any Nigerian actresses, but since Asarem is described as having pretty dark skin, I figured she could be plausibly played by a Nigerian woman, who might therefore have an accent.

Again, make things interesting.

Was just reading the MB page on John Candlewood, and saw this:

And for some reason, the first thing that popped into my head was Mark Zuckerberg with slightly altered features. :wtf: :confused: :p