Fandom Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TheDoctor388, Jan 21, 2012.

1. TheDoctor388

TheDoctor388 Ensign Newbie

[LEFT]Hello there [​IMG] My name is Alexander Kay, I'm a Star Trek fan and Digital Media student. I was wondering if any of you could please take the time to answer the questionnaire below and either send me the results in a comment or a private message. I am very interested to hear people's views on the subject. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]If you have any questions please don't desitate to contact me. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Thank you for your time. [​IMG][/LEFT]

[LEFT]TheDoctor388[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Alex Kay[/LEFT]

Web 2.0 and Fandom Questionnaire ​

Alexander Kay: 2012 ​

What main Media Texts (TV Shows, Comic Books, Video Games, Cartoons, Anime/Manga, Movies, Other) would you say, you are a fan of?

Have you ever created any fan produced content (E.g. Fan fiction, Fan art, fan videos, fan wikis, etc)? If so, what prompted you to do this and what did you hope to achieve?

Do you engage with fan produced content? If so, what form does it take and why and where do you engage with it? E.g. writing a fan fiction on fanfiction.net to explore an alternate ending to a TV series?

What do you think is the appeal of fan produced content?

Are you a member of an online forum dedicated to a particular object of fandom (celebrity, film/TV series, etc)? Why did you join and what has your experience been like?

Have you ever encountered any online abuse when you have been on an online forum? Can you recall a specific incident?

What are your views on fans producing and distributing fan created content through the internet? Also what are your thoughts on the potential issues of copyright (E.g. using someone else’s creations in a piece of fan art)?

What do you think are the good and bad points of online forums and websites that encourage creativity such as: YouTube, fanfiction.net, DeviantART, etc, for those involved in fandom?

Have you encountered or been involved with any instances of spoiling (revealing significant (and usually secret) elements of a TV series, film, book, etc, i.e. spoilers) online? What was the experience like?

Do you feel that fans have the right to post spoilers online? Do you think it ruins or enriches the experience of being a fan?

Do you think it is good or bad for fans to have access to celebrities and creative teams through the internet? (E.g. following writers/directors on Twitter) Do you follow a creative professional online, and for what reason? (E.g. writer, actor, musician, etc)

Have you ever been involved with signing a petition online or become part of an online campaign? Can you explain your motivation behind doing so?

Do you think that Web 2.0 has given fans a larger say in the creative decisions made for the products of their fandom, and if so, what are your views on it?

If you could change one thing about online fandom what would it be?

Definitions:
    Web 2.0:
    the internet viewed as a medium in which interactive experience, in the form of blogs, wikis, forums, etc, plays a more important role than simply accessing information

(From Dictionary.com)

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I think this is more suited for Miscellaneous. So hold on tight while I move it there...

3. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

that's easy. make everyone get along.

4. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

BOOOO!

5. TheDoctor388

Ah, but why would you want that? Do you mean get along as in share the same views, or get along in terms of general behaviour?

6. captcalhoun

get along in terms of accepting that everyone has different views and that doesn't make them any less of a fan or person.

7. TheDoctor388

Have you had any experiences of disagreemnts with fellow fans?

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Literature, comics, movies, TV, art.

I wrote two Star Trek short stories some years ago for the purpose of submitting to the Strange New Worlds anthologies.

I've watched a couple of fan films and read some fan fiction written by friends of mine, but in general I don't have much interest in fan-produced content.

It gives people control over their favorite characters.

No. Other than TrekBBS, which despite the name is a general forum, I belong to forums dedicated to creative endeavors in general.

Of course. Just the usual name calling, insults and impotent hostility.

There are no Copyright issues as long as no profit is made. The only issue I have with fan-created content is that some of these people are so talented that I wish they would devote their time to original works that they can profit from.

I'm completely in favor of any venue that allows to share their creative works with the world.

Yes. It was great. I love spoilers. :rommie:

Whether it ruins or enriches depends on the individual's tastes. People have the right to post spoilers, but they should be respectful of other people's feelings.

Of course it's good. Personal interaction with creators is fun and a lot of creators appreciate the feedback.

I've signed several petitions to save doomed TV shows.

I suppose it has given them a larger say because it provides the creators with more and speedier feedback-- how that influences a particular project, though, depends on the specific creators involved. My views on it are, like anything else, it can be either good or bad.

What captcalhoun said.

9. TheDoctor388

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. It is most appreciated. :)

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Maybe TV & Media? My answers are in bold. :D

[edit] If this has anything to do with Star Trek...Re-boot TNG for TV. :D On The CW!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  11. TheDoctor388

Thank you very much Jetfire. :) Really appreciate the time taken to complete the questionnaire. Many thanks. :)

12. captcalhoun

err, you new to the internet?

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Yeah, disagreement is inevitable-- it's how people behave that's an issue.

You're welcome.

14. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    What main Media Texts (TV Shows, Comic Books, Video Games, Cartoons, Anime/Manga, Movies, Other) would you say, you are a fan of?

Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Have you ever created any fan produced content (E.g. Fan fiction, Fan art, fan videos, fan wikis, etc)? If so, what prompted you to do this and what did you hope to achieve?

Before there were video recording devices like VCRs and DVDs you could only watch your favorite show once a week and you had to practically memorize it while it was on because you...well, you wouldn't see it for another week. So I started writing my own Star Trek.

I didn't want to achieve anything with it, I just enjoyed writing it. To this day, no one has ever read any of those stories.

Do you engage with fan produced content? If so, what form does it take and why and where do you engage with it? E.g. writing a fan fiction on fanfiction.net to explore an alternate ending to a TV series?

No. I believe strictly in canon.

What do you think is the appeal of fan produced content?

I would hope it's because they enjoy being part of the franchise's universe. Just the way a football fan enjoys going to see a game.

Are you a member of an online forum dedicated to a particular object of fandom (celebrity, film/TV series, etc)? Why did you join and what has your experience been like?

I've been a member of the Trek BBS since 2001. I've always enjoyed it. It's fun to talk to other fans.

Have you ever encountered any online abuse when you have been on an online forum? Can you recall a specific incident?

I've been bashed for years for being pro-Roddenberry and con-Berman, but that's alright. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. You can't take stuff like that seriously.

What are your views on fans producing and distributing fan created content through the internet? Also what are your thoughts on the potential issues of copyright (E.g. using someone else’s creations in a piece of fan art)?

Fans definately have the right to produce material even if its based on Star Trek.We did it before the internet and I'm sure we will continue to do it beyond that.

Now if anyone decides to sell the material based on Star Trek that's another story. The artist is the sole owner of his/her intellectual property and has the rights to say how it is to be used.

What do you think are the good and bad points of online forums and websites that encourage creativity such as: YouTube, fanfiction.net, DeviantART, etc, for those involved in fandom?

I think it's wonderful! I can't tell you how many new rock bands I have discovered because of YouTube. I also love to see the new Star Trek fanvids that come out. Some people are very, very talented.

Have you encountered or been involved with any instances of spoiling (revealing significant (and usually secret) elements of a TV series, film, book, etc, i.e. spoilers) online? What was the experience like?

No. When we were commenting on "Enterprise" when it was in production we were very careful not to give away any secrets until the other countries in the world had seen them.

Do you feel that fans have the right to post spoilers online? Do you think it ruins or enriches the experience of being a fan?

We all knew Spock was going to die before TWOK premered and it in no way spoiled the experience. People are going to post spoilers whether it is right or wrong, it's just life in fandom. You get used to it. Besides, if the script is good enough, the spoiling really doesn't matter.

Do you think it is good or bad for fans to have access to celebrities and creative teams through the internet? (E.g. following writers/directors on Twitter) Do you follow a creative professional online, and for what reason? (E.g. writer, actor, musician, etc)

Oh yes! It's wonderful to have access to the people who actually create these series. It makes it more of a community and it seems they enjoy talking to us too. Mike Okuda and Rick Sternback are regular visitors to this BBS and they are nothing but wonderful when they post.

I will say that during the production of "Enterprise" two of the writers were constantly on the BBS looking for our input. We were ruthless with them...we criticized them heavily...but they understood that we were trying to help them create the best Star Trek they could. I don't know our input helped the series improve in its final season, but I think we'd like to think that we did.

Do I follow anyone? No. I've never been that kinda fan.

Have you ever been involved with signing a petition online or become part of an online campaign? Can you explain your motivation behind doing so?

No.

Do you think that Web 2.0 has given fans a larger say in the creative decisions made for the products of their fandom, and if so, what are your views on it?

I don't know much about it to have any opinion.

If you could change one thing about online fandom what would it be?

Nothing. I just enjoy it.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RESEARCH:bolian:

15. TheDoctor388

Thank you very much for your, interesting, insightful response Anji :). Extremely depthy and enlightening. Fantastic stuff! :D

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been feeling kind of invisible lately so answering a long tome of questions might fix that..

TV Shows, one particular game, movies, in that order. Dabble in everything else though.

Fan video, tumblr and blogging. I hoped to achieve enjoying myself.

I watch youtubes, look at art and sometimes read fanfic if it's parody.

It's MORE MORE MORE of the universe you love, especially if it's done well. You get that instant hit of knowing someone else is as into your fandom as you are and you get to enjoy your universe in a new permutation. When you have watched the same finite episodes over and over for uhh.. decades.. new content is very enjoyable.

I've been on lots of them, this being the longer term one (yahoogroups pretty much died). The first thing I do when I'm all caught up in a series is look for forum discussion, whether here or elsewhere. My experiences have been very interesting and enjoyable, though sometimes it is sad to see I've missed the boat when a fandom seems to be stagnant (Bab 5).
    No, though someone once attributed some craziness to me that was actually someone else. I let it stand because it was it like gaining a bad rep without doing anything and I thought it was funny.

I think that fandom creations are huge in keeping a series alive and still being something that gets watched (and which advertisers pay for). It's FREE advertising, free fanvangelism, free publicity keeping the subject of the fandom relevant. It irks me when TPTB don't see it that way.
    Good points: sense of community, frequent humor, get to be awed at others creativity, allows people to be a part of an ongoing tide of memes.

Bad points: Can't think of any.

I work very hard to stay unspoiled, yet my own curiosity spoiled me for one of ENT's big reveals. I was kicking myself for a long time. I do value forums that are strict about posting spoiler warnings for this reason.

You either love 'em or you avoid 'em. As to "rights" well that's up to the forum owner isn't it? There are no "rights" other than what the forum owner gives you.

I barely follow them, might look up someone's facebook if I hear mention of something like an album coming out. "Good or bad", why the value call? If you want to follow someone, go for it, if not then don't. I prefer the fiction to the reality behind it which is why I don't pay much attention.

Yep I have signed many Bring Back Janeway petitions. My motivation is.. "hey, who knows, someone may actually read this."
    I think any organic wiki-esque social networking is a positive thing. If you mean however creative decisions made for a series because of social networking/blogging then I highly doubt it. I don't think much attention is paid to fandom other than perhaps the loudest voice at any given time. And just because that voice is heard doesn't mean it will translate into action.

The participatory nature of web 2.0 has hugely enhanced fandom, making it not just more accessible but ubiquitous for the generation growing up with it. Nowadays if you're a teen and you like a show you will be plugged into tumblr, facebook, twitter etc.. as simply the way you like that show. I believe this has revitalized fandom. I remember going to a con in the 70's.. it was full of old, fat, strange people. I was the youngest person there. NOW I go to cons where there are THOUSANDS of young people all dressed up in costumes, arriving in huge groups with their friends, having a fantastic time. They meet tumblr friends at cons. Fandom has had an incredible adrenaline injection and while I won't say social media is the main reason it has certainly been the conduit.

A Bab 5 forum that isn't dead? That's about it, I love online fandom.

17. TheDoctor388

Thank you very much for your interesting and detailed response Teacake. :) Are you a fellow Media Student may I ask? Lots of great stuff in there which I can add to my study. :D
    Cheers very much,
    TD388

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No I'm not a media student, just like watching the changes.