Deleted scene where Spock explains how the timeline "healed itself"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by VOODOOXI, Nov 20, 2009.

1. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it reported that there is a deleted scene (or maybe an extended version of the cave scene) that almost made the movie where Spock prime explains to Kirk how the timeline is attempting to heal itself?

If memory serves one of the writers offered this as an explanation as to how Kirk just happens to stumble into the exact cave where Spock prime has been hiding.

I thought that I heard that the scene almost made it into the film, but was cut at the last minute. If it does exist I'm kind of surprised that it didn't make it onto the Blu-ray. In theory it could explain a lot

2. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Re: Deleted scene where Spock explains how the timeline "healed itself

I think it was said in interviews.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think the deal was that the line to which you refer was part of an earlier version of the script, but had been removed by the time filming started. I remember that one of the writers (Orci, iirc) was quoted as saying he would have liked to have kept it in.

The explanation by Spock Prime does figure in the novelization, if I'm not mistaken.

4. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I read that in an interview in the Star Trek magazine.
    Too bad, that was a cool concept.:rolleyes:

5. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Sounds like it might have been cool, but I like that there are 2 separate time lines, rather than 1 trying to fix itself. Or am I no understanding what Spoke Prime was saying?

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think you're understanding it, and I think the line was cut because, no matter how they tried to write it, it hinted too much at a single timeline instead of the two separate ones they were trying to get across.

From this TrekMovie interview (published April 30):
    Edit:

Here, TrekWeb has excerpts from the Star Trek Magazine interview, which contains this, from Kurtzman:
    Looks like I misremembered about who said they wished they'd kept the line in, and he says here that it was filmed but not used. Maybe it didn't end up in the extras because it wasn't an entire deleted scene?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  7. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Spock had made the comment, it would have been in step with something he said in "CITY...", to the effect that time itself might direct him and Kirk back to McCoy so they could set things right.

8. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

I think it works with either one or two.There are still two time lines but the new time line is trying get to the same ultimate place the original was got to or something.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This would certainly go a long way towards explaining why nuKirk made Captain so damn fast. The admiralty in the new timeline may be somehow influenced to promote him that fast because of this healing action of the timeline.

10. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I prefer than line not to be in there. I can handle everything that they met due to a coincidence or assuming it is "fate", but to have a line that specifically points out that it was destiny doing it would probably have taken me out of the movie at that moment.

11. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

The script is available online.
    After the mind meld this conversation takes place:

12. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice one.

I did wonder, actually, when i saw it the theatres that tere seems to be holes in that scene. It didnt seem finnished, rushed to say the least.

But the inquisitive mind in me went into over drive to imagine what else Kirk and Spock couldve discussed/explained. Such as destiny/fate, timeline trying to heal itself, but in hindsight, i prefere the paralell timeline though. This is still a little brief, but it explains a lot in a short exchange.

13. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And i guess the 'timeline healing itself' will cause the rebirth of Vulcan.

Fooey. Amazing that minutes after Vulcan is destroyed, a few cadets landing in positions they are qualified for on a starship is "the timeline healing itself".

14. Mr. Laser Beam

The survivors are founding a new colony, so in a way, that's true.

15. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I've never been a fan of this destiny business in the film. I'm happy the line was omitted.

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

It would have been nice for this dialogue to have been included on the DVDs and BluRay discs, but oh well. A lot like the ommitted dialogue between Luke and Spirit Obi-Wan in RETURN OF THE JEDI where Ben tells Luke how and why he and his sister Leia were hidden from their father and the Emperor and he mentions Bail Organa and others we don't meet until the prequels years later. More exposition than anything else and just takes up time.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That and the original crew didn't even come together "in a time of ultimate crisis". They came together in regular duty, and THEN they had some adventures, and only one of them involved a planet killing machine. Doesn't fit Spock's character to glorify his own past. ;)

18. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

It could be used later in attempt to correct the time line and get rid of the alternate reality. It actually makes a nice change not to have screwed up time line corrected where you have everyone going to where it all started as if nothing ever happend.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

That is not possible. The Abramsverse exists; it can't be wiped out.

Even if we go back in time and prevent the destruction of the Kelvin, the new timeline will not be erased. A *third* timeline will be created which strongly resembles the original. But the second, created in ST XI, will remain.
    Just like how ST XI did not erase the original Trek timeline. This one can't be erased either.

20. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neither am I, but it would have been preferable to the old band of the TOS crew showing up on the Enterprise by a series of incredibly staggering coincidences. Suggesting that's the timeline working mysteriously to heal parts of itself would at least be acknowledging the nature of the coincidences in an effort, however half-hearted, to explain them.

Oh well. When I first watched the film I got no impression there were two timelines anyway, to be honest - it's worded carefully so that interpretation might be drawn from it (as O&K insist) or it could just be seen as time being rewritten again.