UESPA Announces the Launch of Earth's First Warp Ship

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by uniderth, Apr 23, 2014.

1. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Well my summer job brought this project to a screeching halt. But now that it's over I've had some time to work on it a bit more. I've remodeled and added details to the command module. I'm also working on modeling and rigging the landing legs; but no images yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Nice work, so far.

3. uniderth

Here's my work on the landing leg so far. It still needs some tweaking and rigging.

Here is the leg extended:
    [​IMG]

Here is the leg retracted:
    [​IMG]

My next posting I should have the leg rigged and added to the model. I might even try an animation of the leg extending and retracting.

4. uniderth

5. uniderth

There will be two models of the Valiant one with and one without Warp Nacelles. The reference images of these type warp engines are very low resolution so I will be filling in the gaps with my own creativity.

There seems to be an interesting history associated with the engines from the Jein model. From these early images we can see the engines as there first were on the model.

[​IMG]

It then seems that the pylons were repositioned, however this could have been the original angle of the pylons and it was changed to match the hull. I'm not sure the orders in which these photos were taken.

[​IMG]

The engines were then removed and put on the C1-21(aka Mystery Ship) model.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag368/uniderth/Untitled-181_zps10c4f4c7.jpg

[​IMG]

Then the pylons were again repositioned so the the engines are straight across from each other.

[​IMG]

Then when the C1-21 was used as a prop in an episode of Voyager the engines were removed.

[​IMG]

I wonder what happened to them. If anybody sees a stray pair of Warp Nacelles...

Actually I plan on incorporating the changing pylon angle into my design. My idea is that early warp ship had these movable pylons so that they could better tune the warp field by moving the engines themselves.

Here is my start on the warp engines:

[​IMG]

Just testing the glow for the reactor domes.

[​IMG]

View from the opposite side.

[​IMG]

6. uniderth

Here's a look at the progress so far. I think the warp engines are done being modeled. I put them with the ship to do some scaling and positioning. The nacelle pylons need beefed up a bit. I think she looks pretty good so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

That is really beautiful work.
    The pylons seem a little weak.

8. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I love it.

--Alex

9. uniderth

I've beefed up the pylons a bit, but I still might make them a bit bigger. I'd say the modeling is about 90-95% complete.

These pictures probably aren't post worthy because not much has changed, but I really liked the nacelle design. I tried to stay true to the original model while also bridging the nacelle design of the Phoenix and the Friendship 1 probe.

Here is the nacelle off:

[​IMG]

Here is the nacelle on:

[​IMG]

10. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I agree that the nacelle pylons seem a little thin.

I never considered that the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" Valiant could land. The STAR TREK Encyclopedia Valiant (years before ENT was put into production) is an interesting if radically different design compared to the ships was saw in ENT.

I hope more artists take this concept in new and fascinating directions.

Thank you for sharing this refreshing 3D artwork.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  11. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Why do I look at this space vessel, in landing mode, and keep thinking of the Eagles and deep space probe ships from SPACE: 1999? Maybe that was the intent back in the '90s. It would be interesting if, like the Eagles and probes, the Valiant had a modular quality to it with the bulk of the ship's larger hull retaining the capability to "drop away" from underneath and make planetfall independently, while the rest of the ship with the engines could remain high above in orbit. It would also be neat if the forward section ("command module") could also separate and perform limited near-space operations as well.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  12. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

So, I know I don't post here nearly as often as I used to, but I have been lurking and following this thread for some time, and wanted to pop in for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to say that I absolutely love the direction you're going with this model. Really beautiful.

Second, I had a possible suggestion regarding the "nacelle struts". I also agree that, though they are clearly consistent with the original model, they do look a bit "fragile" to me, and even a little less substantial than in the images of the original model. However, in looking at the overall design and the low-res model shown in post #25 above, it occurred to me that there might be a way to "beef up" the look of the struts without adding a lot of visual bulk. Again, understanding that the images are very low res, and that you have already reproduced what is probably the actual construction of the struts; but another possible interpretation is that the struts might actually be composed of two elements: there might be a sort of "scaffold-like" structure surrounding a more solid inner core (plasma conduit?) "Scaffold" is probably the wrong word, but I hope it conveys the right image; in my mind I see a structure like the Epsilon 9 station in TMP, in miniature. This might add a visual appearance of further strength without making them look too heavy. It would also be visually and stylistically consistent with the somewhat similar structures you have designed to support the aft engine elements, as well as on the warp nacelles themselves.

While it does look as if the struts on the original model are most likely solid, as you have interpreted them, it also looks to me as if the detail that was added might just have been intended to mimic or suggest a structure such as I am referring to.

Just a few thoughts from a novice non-artist, but "starship pr0n junkie." :p Take it for what it may be worth. Regardless, I will look forward to following your continued progress on this model. Qapla' :bolian:

13. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is one beautiful looking model. And the working landing gear is just the icing on the cake!

14. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

do the nacelles retract? because they look like they could be brought in and parked along the hull for atmospheric flight and deployed in space for FTL flight.

15. uniderth

Thanks for the great comments.

Wingsley: Actually the command module is designed to separate and operate as an independent vehicle.MY thoughts is that it a sort of predecessor to the enviropod on my S.S. Enterprise ringship in that can function as a lifeboat in case of emergencies.

TrekkieMonster: I've actually had a similar thought about the "scaffold." I may keep the outer box structure but make the inner surface more pipe-like. My thoughts are that the center structure of the pylon could be built of something like this: http://www.isotruss.info/

BK613: Yes, the nacelles will retract for atmospheric flight.

[​IMG]

16. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

That's super awesome. I love what you're doing with this old ship.

--Alex

17. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great work!!! I can not wait to see more and also interesting idea about the retractable nacelles. :techman::techman:

18. uniderth

Trying to come up with a more battered look for a scene with the Valiant getting swept into the great barrier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. uniderth

I haven't been able to get much work done on her. School and work are keeping me plenty busy.

[​IMG]

I have an "overheated engine" texture on the engines right now. I want to use this for when the ship is trying to escape the magnetic storm.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Very nice.