The Good That Men Do question

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Jun 17, 2010.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Beneath the Raptor's Wing and thinking back to the events of The Good That Men Do. I'm drawing a blank on the revelations discovered by Jake and Nog in the story. Memory-Beta isn't helping on these details.

What exactly prompted this new information to come to light? What were the major things they unearthed? And most specifically, I remember them being surprise about the nature of the attack on Coridan. What did they think had happened? How could something so major be covered up/unknown to the future generations?

Thanks for the help.

2. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Nog, now a senior engineer, was supposed to be digging into Earth's Warp 5 program as a hobby and got into the history of the NX program. The events of These are the Voyages were revealed to have occurred in 2155 (Charter of Coalition of Planets) instead of 2161 (Founding of the Federation) as was said onscreen. This is the retcon that sets up the relaunch. It all blamed on Section 31 who have apparently been exposed and disbanded in the early 25th Century.

Trip is supposed to be dead as of 2161 according to history but he's really a Section 31 spy on Romulus. He's our "Eyes on Romulus" for the relaunch.

The revelation on Coridan is that they were bombed by the Romulans. That part is completely missing from history until they appear in the 23rd Century wanting to join the Federation. The part that says they were a Coalition partner has been completely erased.

The whole book is a retcon to set up the relaunch and undo TATV.

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing I don't understand about Coridan is how can their people not be aware of the erasure of a huge event in their history? Whenever 31 covered up that event wouldn't the people of that time been aware of it?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I don't recall the details of the novel, but I'd assume that what was covered up was the cause of the cataclysm, not the occurrence of it.

5. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

That's the best explanation. Instead of say a dilithium explosion due to a natural disaster or a Praxis-like careless industrial accident, it was an act of war.

The whole Coalition of Planets is supposed to be like the United States under the Articles of Confederation: a bit that has been overlooked by history, sandwiched by more famous events.

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell ya (only slightly dented by some Breen a few years back). :devil:

Has no novel pondered the possibility of, say, Romulan sabotage there yet?

Timo Saloniemi

7. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

one thing is certain. there isnt a damn thing in the alpha quadrant that the romulans haven't been involved in.

8. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Heh, I wonder if the Romulan people complain about small-universe syndrome like we do? ;)