Lauren Shuler Donner wants to do X4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Sep 22, 2009.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Lauren Shuler Donner, wife of Superman: The Movie director Richard Donner and producer of all three X-Men films including the spin-off X-Men Origins: Wolverine, has a desire to reunite the original X-Men for another installment in the X-Men franchise.

20th Century Fox is currently shaping up Wolverine 2 to start shooting next year for a summer 2011 release, and is circling directors for X-Men: First Class -- a prequel to the original films -- with tentative plans to start shooting by 2010. Bryan Singer, director of the first two films, had been circling that project with an interest in directing. He's now developing a revamp of the Battlestar Galactica property for Universal.

Fox is also developing a Deadpool spin-off with Green Lantern star Ryan Reynolds still attached, and X-Men Origins: Magneto which chronicles a young Magneto's quest for vengeance after seeing his parents murdered at the hands of Nazis and his forming friendship and rivarly with Charles Xavier.

Donner also wants to do an adaptation of The New Mutants, but no formal pitch has been made to 20th Century Fox about that or an X4.

Personally, out of all the X-related films currently in development, I'm most interested in seeing another X-Men film reuniting some of the remaining X-Men. I'm getting sick of all these prequels and spin-offs and I want to move forward. Let's see what happens next after X-Men: The Last Stand. I think an adaptation of the "Days of Future Past" story would be interesting. It's time we got Sentinels.

Source: www.superherohype.com

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I agree. Prequel, shmequel. Unless you take the Star Trek (2009) approach and re-write history, prequels are so hamstrung by having to remain consistent with the other movies that they generally remove all suspense and keep the writers down a one way street. I actually didn't hate Wolverine Origins, or whatever it was called, but I had a good idea how it would end from the moment the credits rolled. And I don't really want to see younger actors tackle Scott Summers, Jean Grey, Hank McCoy etc so that we can all point out how little alike to the original actors they are.

The idea of X-Men as a trilogy was always daft - why should a series that's been running for almost 50 years be confined to three movies just to follow the LOTR/ Star Wars/ Matrix pattern? The obvious thing to do is move forward and see what happened after the events of The Last Stand.

Oh, and to bring back Singer.

3. JacksonArcher

I would seriously love to see what Singer would do with X4. Would he ignore certain elements from The Last Stand or ignore it completely? Or would he honor it and take it into consideration while developing a new story? So many interesting possibilities.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

With so many X-Men out there, the movies could easily have followed the path of the comics and simply have the core team evolve and change over the course of subsequent films. I think the idea of doing further spinoffs and prequels could really water down the X-Men as a movie franchise in the long run (or simply run it into the ground)...

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't say I'm interested in the First Class movie. Its not necessary. Outside Wolverine watching the other core X members struggle with puberty of their mutant gene dulls me. What little they did in the other movies with Angel and Jean was plenty. Watching Storm, Scott etc deal with the same prejudices makes for a dull movie imo.

Give me X4. Strides were made in X3 to make Storm more formative(flying finally) and show leadership. Place Beast in there full time, give some type recap of the rescue of Xavier, hell make that the story. Bobby as Iceman was coming into his own, actually fully body icing up, give me more of that with his sleds and various ice projectiles.
    Get Rogue flying, change it if you have to where she permanetly keeps Storm's flight power, worry about invulnerability later. Colossus, more needed, 'nuff said.

I'm up for X4, do it with a competent director and script and we'll show up.

6. JacksonArcher

I'm all for recasting Storm. Halle Berry was all-wrong for the part. Angela Bassett would make a perfect matured Storm. Someone I could buy as a leader. Too bad Beast took the government gig at the end of The Last Stand however I can see him being recruited to help the X-Men once again.

Xavier needs to stay dead. Killing him was one of the bold moves about the last movie. I hate when characters in movies don't stay dead. It removes whatever resonance their death might have had. Jean is forgivable because of her importance in evolving into the Dark Phoenix. I also kind of liked how we barely saw the real Jean Grey in X3.

I wouldn't mind an introduction to Emma Frost. Nightcrawler should return. He was missed.

And I'd like to see Cyclops finally get the role he's deserved since the first movie. I mean, we didn't see a body. Maybe he's just knocked unconscious somewhere.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

If you include the spinoff there are 4 movies.

I agree, it's why Star Trek sucks.

8. Captaindemotion

It wouldn't be like Singer to make a sequel to the first two good movies in a superhero series, while ignoring a crap 3rd one, would it ...? ;)

9. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see The New Mutants. Particularly if the DOFP storyline was touched on like they did in the comics.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm fine with any of those moves for a possible X4.
    The only problem with the bolded section is that Xavier is clearly alive at the end of X3, post credits scene.

11. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

Did you see X-Men Origins: Wolverine? Trust me, these producers don't feel hamstrung by such silly concepts as "continuity."

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

If it's another FOX 100 minute borefest count me out.

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

And they shouldn't. But I'd really like it if they felt hamstrung by such silly concepts as "quality".

14. JacksonArcher

What post credits scene? ;)

15. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm always amazed by the seeming inability of movie producers to think ahead. Ms. Donner and the studio should have planned for X4 when the script for The Last Stand was written. Didn't they know that killing off both Jean and Scott would hurt future films?

Halle Berry would probably come back for the money. If not, the producers should look for a young, exotic actress to take over the role of Storm. IMHO, Angela Bassett (age 51) is way too old for this part.

16. JacksonArcher

If it is a sequel, I think older is better. Let some time pass from the last one. Storm should be older. More mature.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm up for Singer making a movie called X3. :)

Not really interested in X-Men Origins Continuations: Wolverine 2.

18. Captaindemotion

But in terms of Wolvie having to lose his memory, Stryker not getting the onscreen death such a villain usually gets (though the scene where he was wanted for questioning isn't consistent with him having such a high-powered role in X2), they weren't able to take any chances or do anything daring.

Sure, you can quibble about Scott being too young to have been around in the late 1970s or about Sabretooth being nothing like the guy in the first movie (with justification on both counts), but as I say, you have to ensure that certain characters are alive at the end, that certain events unfold in a certain way (did we have to see the adamantium grafting scene again?). Much more freedom with a sequel.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Let's have Singer ignore X3 and do "X-Men Returns" Make Wolverine spy on the students as they sleep.

20. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Said about everything I was going to say. So i will just second this entire comment. I am tired of prequels and eager to ease the bitter pill of X3.

I would also love to see a dark gritty take on 'Days of Future's Past" A World in fear of American dominated by the machines they built to protect them from the mutants.

Bring on the Sentinels.

However X4 would be nice to clean up the dangling X3 storylines and start where the other characters left off.

I say do it.

Vons