Ron D. Moore about VOY

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Salinga, Jan 2, 2013.

1. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I think Moore was right to do his show the way he wanted to, but Voyager was never gonna be BSG. The tech of Trek makes a lot of those issues moot. Got power? Your replicators can take care of the rest. That being said, I do think that by not having supplies/damage to the ship/loss of shuttles & weapons be an issue, you undermine the central concept of Voyager, which is "a ship alone. "

2. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Yes, VOY could definitely have used a few of the elements that made BSG (to me at least) so interesting. It ignored its premise, its characters, and its past, all to the point where it was essentially TNG 2.0.

The way things were going back then, I would have preferred a break from TV Trek rather than ENT. We ended up with an 18 year period where there was always something in production, and it was already beginning to show with VOY.

This break since ENT finished has been good. It's given the franchise a chance to lay fallow, and let people forget how it dwindled. It's allowed the production to be freshened up considerably, and suddenly it's a big hit again.

It's funny how much things change over the years. No Trek on TV, in addition to the new films, just make me nostalgic for the old shows. It's very unlikely we'll get new stories in the old continuity that exists, so it makes me appreciate what we did get.

VOY and ENT may have had their bad points, but there is enough about them to make sure they're not a waste of time to watch. While Berman and Braga may not have been the best showrunners, they would have put up with network interference that neither TNG nor DS9 would have experienced. While overall they may have been mediocre, there were a lot of high points in both shows.

3. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At the rate VOY was losing crew members, they would have had to start taking on alien crew ala' HMS Bounty when Fletcher kidnapped some Tahitian men.

That would have made for an interesting time travel story for Voyager to encounter a future version of themselves having to make hard choices like that*

* Which sort of happens when they meet Equinox.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

after 70 years in the DQ, the BQ and finally into the AQ over half the crew would have bred with one of Kes's descendants... And that's only if there were no multiple births.

They would have gotten home to Earth and half the crew would have claimed... We're Ocampan and we want to go home to Ocampa.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, now that you mention it.....

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, Voyager didn't loose that many crewmen.
    Most of the eps were allot of crew died were reset eps.

Very true but at the same time, Voyager did take us back to the over all theme of Trek that DS9 didn't do: "To seek out new life and new civilizations. Too boldly go where no one has gone before." I think Voyager did live up to that by bringing us back to the original concept of Trek. While the supply issues may have added more for the dramatic aspect of the show, it would have taking away from the ideas that they're explorers. You can't get very far in a busted up ship.:lol:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess that puts a whole new meaning of a train.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Moore has been writing scripts for Star Wars Underworld apparently.. which is now looking quite green light. Reliable sources have informed me of this.

9. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Battlestar Voyager would not have been Star Trek, in the Roddenbury sense.

And the Federation has enough technology to make life easier for a vessel trapped far away.

But, still, there was more that could have been done.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

One major problem was that the show really didn't have a plot. The whole "Lost in Space" thing is good as a general outline, maybe something they could stretch out for 2 seasons but after that you usually need something else to drive the plot.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

TOS Plot: Exploring in Space

TNG Plot: Exploring in Space, side of Klingon/Fed politics

DS9 Plot: More plots and plot than you could shake a stick at

VOY Plot: Lost in Space, side of Borg politics

ENT Plot: Newbies in Space, one season of War Plot

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much sums up why DS9 is my favorite series. :p

13. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I thinkkkkkkkk.......(here we go...)

In the concept stage, the producers were so determined to show that this show wasn't just going to be TNG Mk 2 (or TNG: the next generation indeed) that they latched on to this "ship alone" idea without really thinking through the decision.

We learnt from the 7 years of the show what they really wanted to do was TNG with a new set of characters and new sets, so marooning the ship in the delta quadrant was probably the biggest mistake they made.
    Only a few episodes dealt with the isolation aspect so it obviously wasn't a concept that interested them too much bar the first year publicity they could milk for the show.

The Maquis, too, was an idea they quickly fell out of love with.
    But the "divided crew" motif again made it initially appear different enough to TNG to be useful when launching the show.

The way it turned out, they might as well just had the Enterprise D decommissioned and give them the Enterprise-E, have it on a long term mission exploring the non-Dominion parts of the Gamma Quadrant through the wormhole etc but still able to pop back to the Federation for resupplying/shuttle restocking
    that way you get the best of the "ship alone" aspect and also not have continual questions about how this ship isn't running out of power/shuttles every week.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I think they should've used a bunch of DQ natives being held on the Array as the "Second crew" instead of the Maquis to give them more connection to the surrounding areas and help flesh out the DQ better.

And make the invasion of our Universe by the 8472 probably the major plot of the series after "Lost in Space" wears itself out.