Making the Intepid Class Prototype (Sternbach)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by calamity_si, Apr 11, 2013.

1. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like that, makes it look less like the Ent-E as well with the nacelles inverted (but upright pylons). I never liked the Ent-E nacelles, they remind me of running shoes or something.

Nice work on the ship!

2. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's an interesting variation. Thanks for indulging me. :)

Rick

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I definitely prefer it with the pylons up. There's something about the pylons angled upward that suggests flight and speed that you don't get from downward pylons. That's just how I see it, anyway.

Does the ship have aft-facing torpedo tubes? If not maybe those could go in place of the center impulse engine now that you've added those extra engines.

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd have to say I prefer it with nacelles down. It gives the ship a more individual look.

5. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I would also add that I think that the nacelles-down configuration makes the ship look more sturdy overall. More of workhorse sort of design, which I like.

6. HarryM

It is good to get away from the standard Enterprise layout, good as it is (there's a reason they went with it originally after all). You can have downwards pylons work, a good example would be the Akira, D7, or Miranda. You can use certain tricks to make the design look less grounded. An example would be on the D7, the nacelles aren't vertical, they are angled inwards slightly, this gives a little "nervous energy" to the design, like someone on tip-toes. I think some refinement of the nacelles and pylons would help the design look a little less grounded.

7. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

This is the Intrepid Class starship prototype designed by Rick Sternbach. Many thanks to Mindless-Productions for the use of their Type 11 shuttle and simobassa for the use of his Nemesis Drydock.

[​IMG]

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like the raised nacelles--what with the V for Victory stance.

9. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always preferred the pointy nosed shovel-like primary hull shown in the concepts more than the blunt nosed spoon-shaped nose of the final version of the Intrepid class. I especially love the sketch where the primary hull looks flatter and wider, than what was chosen in the end.

I think it was a good thing that this design element was used for the Nova class and the Prometheus class.

By the way, Mr. Sternbach, if you happen to read this, I want you to know that the Nova and the Prometheus are among my favorite canon Starfleet designs, up there with the Sovereign class. They play a significant influence in my designs, and the amount of detail that you put into your sketches has influenced me to try to do the same in many of mine (well, at least the ones I post):D.

I'd have liked it better if the sharp nose and the wider looking stance of the saucer, like in the bottom concept sketch in the image below, and used that with the secondary hull that was used for the final design:
    [​IMG]
    I also like how the secondary hull starts to become thinner in the top concept sketch, and how it transitions from thicker to thinner by a section of the hull curving, as opposed to having a section of the hull that has a faceted look.

I don't know if I like it as much as the simpler overall curves of the secondary hull of the final design, but it makes for an interesting design element.

And I like how the front edge of the bridge and the edge of the fan-tail is rounded and curves better than how they are blunt in what we ended up with, like what is shown in the top image, and Calamity_si's model.

I think that the first model that they did before starting all over might have looked better had they used some of these design elements. I also have never liked how the first model looks taller, as opposed to being flatter, and more splayed out, like something fast waiting to take off.

The final thing I can't help but notice is that most of the concepts are have better phaser arcs, with aft dorsal phasers on the secondary hull. This interestingly enough seems to have been remedied for the model used in STO.

Oh, and by the way Calamity_si, your model of Sternbach's concept looks fantastic!:techman: Your modeling skills have improved dramatically from what you had when you entered that Enterprise-F contest.

10. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice work. :techman::techman: It is great to see the design realized.

11. QuinnTV

QuinnTV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd hate to be the guy that has to use the lifeboat under the nacelle pylon!

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Great ship. Would love to have seen it in action on screen.

13. calamity_si

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'm still working on some renders. I'm basing them around the idea that this was originally going to be the Intrepid class but was abandoned at the last minute in favour of the existing design. The keel lay in drydock for almost a year and was going to be broken up. With the outbreak of the Dominion war, the sudden shortage of Federation ships meant that every keel that could be used, was. In keeping with the DS9 technical manual, many ships were fitted with the basic systems and rushed into service with large swathes of their internal volume left empty. This being one of those ships. It's basically gonna be a good excuse to render this beauty up against some Cardie and Dominion ships.

14. calamity_si

Ha! Nice catch I may have to move that over a bit. Unless that escape hatch is reserved purely for redshirts lol!

15. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm a big fan of this design and this is great stuff! The only thing better is Sternbach's foamboard mock-up of the ship.

Regards,
    Chuck

16. Rick Sternbach

Thanks! Those two were the beginnings of a design cycle that ended too soon for me. :) But that's okay; I'm actually fiddling with a lot of the hull details that worked, and you may see the results somewhere down the road.

Rick

17. calamity_si

Well Rick, I for one would be happy reading a thread with just your napkin doodles!

It's a crying shame that you never got to design any of the ships from Star Trek online. Some of those Klingon and Fed designs just don't look right!

18. HarryM

I do like his more realistic style. Very tired of gothic designs and "blade" nacelles.

19. Rick Sternbach

Well, it's not for lack of trying to get involved, all the way back to talking to the Perpetual guys, which was like talking to a bunch of asylum inmates. Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if it really comes down to design and development folks wanting to play in the sandbox their own way, and I don't really have a problem with that. If game companies and others produce stuff that ticks the fan base off a bit, but still makes money, I suspect CBS won't yank on the reins. I think it's a bit like the Architect telling Neo "There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept." :lol:

Rick

20. calamity_si

Hi all,

I've just returned from a quick break and wanted you all to see my latest render. This is the ship all lit up![​IMG]

[​IMG]