Help Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M.A.C.O., May 21, 2013.

1. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have been bad-mouthing the movie on Facebook, to friends and family. I won't go see it again. It is in the vein of Star Trek, but that doesn't make it a good movie. A for effort, D for execution, C overall.

2. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When your sitting down to watch a movie
    then suddenly your butt's all gooey.
    Diarrhea! Diarrhea! ♪

Sorry. I hope it wasn't too serious and that all involved are fine.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  3. TheCutestofBorg

TheCutestofBorg Lieutenant Junior Grade

As much as I LOVE Star Trek, and I even 'like" these movies, I'll be SO happy when JJ Abrams moves on to make Fast and the Fur...I mean Star Wars. He has proven to me that he thinks all people want from any franchise is fast paced scenes with fast moving cameras and hard to make out action. In other words, style over any real substance. I'd rather have a great looking Star Trek that actually made a little sense when looked at from a normal point of view. Rather than, "Oh that looks kewl." Or " make the movement faster and harder to see, kewl."
    So the sooner JJ is gone the better. That being said, I will be seeing it at least 1 more time before its out of theatres.

4. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

On my Facebook and on a couple forums I post on, I've seen a *lot* more positive feedback than I expected. People I know who aren't Trekkies in the slightest are talking about how much they enjoyed it. A friend who is the biggest film buff I know said it was the best new movie he's seen this year. I've done what I can to stoke the fire as well.

5. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

There will be a Star Trek 3 it's already received a 'soft' green light. The studio has already stated they want a Star Trek movie out in 2016 to mark the 50th anniversary of TOS. The movie is not a flop! In fact, the original estimate by Paramount up to three weeks ago was $80-$85M domestic. The change to $100M came after the last minute decision to move the opening date. The other thing working in STID's favor is the fact it's doing great business internationally.

What I will say about the next movie will that it will likely have a lower budget (i've already heard whispers of the $120 to the $140 range), there will be a desire by Paramount to try and make it appeal to younger audiences and I also have the feeling their maybe a new director.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay I need help to help the movie..

What was that review that was emphasized the political nature of the movie as far as criticism of US policy? I need that review and if possible a couple serious and hugely positive reviews. I'm trying to talk someone into it who has only read crap reviews and is now meh.. dvd.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Is this the one you mean? (Or maybe the one linked here?)

8. teacake

Thanks M'Sharak! I will read them both and send the best one!

9. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

Really subjective question that depends solely on the movie theater itself. I've seen this movie in two different theaters- the AMC 22-screen in the middle of a popular mall and the small 7-screen Carmike just down the road from where I live in an area that has lost a lot of custom since the mall nearby essentially closed down a few years ago. In the big, new theater it was packed on Friday night. In the small one, on opening night at 7 pm, there were maybe 10 people, including myself. I've never been to a packed movie in that place, but I go because I don't pay for movies because my sister is a GM at Carmike. But I have more fun at the big AMC.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to see it again on Sunday, hopefully in 3D (depends on my friend).

Fast And Furious 6 on Saturday. :)

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

It was at 1 p.m. on a weekday so 15 people or so... older farts like me with their wives or solo...

12. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Well it's the weekend again. I implore you to spread the word, encourage and take as many of your friends, family members and coworkers to see the movie this Memorial day weekend.

13. teacake

I've seen it 4 times and the cinemas had between 4, 4, 15 and 6 people in them not counting myself. The 15 was evening on Saturday.

14. Robert_T_April

Robert_T_April Captain Captain

I saw it opening day in IMAX 3-D and visually, it was AWESOME! Last night I saw the non 3-D digital version and was not disappointed at all.

15. M.A.C.O.

Thanks you are the best. My personal goal I set for STID is for it to take in $500 million at the BO. It's a high bar i know but if Trek is to to be ever taken seriously by companies and investors it has to perform at that level. Lets make it happen.

16. teacake

Anyone have a link to a fantastic review from a respected source? (ie, not us)

17. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Tactics is an interesting word, but it does reflect the marketing for this film.

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It's pretty much one of Paramount's top franchises, the fact is though it might've hit a ceiling. Sci-fi movies don't do well in the box office generally, even if they are master pieces.

19. M.A.C.O.

Iron Man, Spider-Man, Star Wars, and The Avengers may have something to say about that.

20. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

They're not really sci-fi movies except Star Wars, which has always been aimed at kids.