Voyagers ending, redone.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by bbjeg, Jun 6, 2013.

1. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

This has probably been posted already, but when I read this thread title, I thought of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-KAjeuVDs

^^ A pretty good re-edit of the series finale, though the added music can get a bit annoying by the 5th time you've heard it.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

But what about Axum?!?

3. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Watching "Unimatrix Zero" again, I remembered how disappointed I was in Admiral Janeway (old Riker & Troi in a different skin) stealing the show from the cast and the ship being put in God mode. There was the Borg Resistance all ready to be used. They could have easily appeared. And the door was open to bringing in many potential allies in taking down the Transwarp Hub. It's in the whole quadrant's interest to take down that hub. Thanks to Borg transwarp, we could've seen Species 8472 (Axum was going to talk to them), some Hirogen, the Hierarchy, Annari, etc, perhaps even Krenim, like Voyager's good will coming back to reward them (all the allies gathered along the journey or ship they might think was able to lead a battle against the Borg). What we got was a precursor to "These are the Voyages..." and a lame effort to copy "All Good Things..." in part. Time travel wasn't necessary.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean the guy who scares Seven by trying to touch her the first time she goes back to Unimatrix Zero? Beyond being creepy, he's bland and utterly forgettable.

5. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Actually an imaginative female fic writer kind of wrote the ending over that way. Only with new friends they had made. It's very J/C with some "shall we say adult scenes" but I kind of liked her take, without resulting in destroying the transwarp hub.

6. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, in many ways this is a very nice version, despite the music video added at the end. I kind of prefer J/C to J/7. I'm not bowled over because I still don't hate C/7. One of Seven's personalities, the victimized, weepy sow, matches up perfectly with Chakotay's macho pig version from Extreme Risk and Human Error.

It is of course still true that J/7 is canon. Only subtext, but still canon. And it is even more true that this version's fix, K/7, just is not canon. Another of Seven's personalities, Ms Borg Pride, does match up perfectly with Kim's dutiful never-say-die supersoldier. That's why TPTB scotched it as quickly as possible with Kim passing on public sex and Seven clouting him in the head. Also, despite the J/7 subtext, textually Janeway is mother (figure) to both Seven and Kim. This makes them figuratively brother and sister. TPTB passed on sibling rivalry (they only give lines or shots to Wang when they really need to carry a story.) But, this still makes K/7 incestuous.

Do you really want to go there?

Wait, maybe that would be the dark and gritty everyone wants?:devil:

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:eek:
    What a rollercoaster.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Subtext is not canon.

Subtext is the actors fucking about with quirks, sighs, farts and facial expressions.

Love and constipation usually seem identical to even the most trained set of analytical eyes.

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have ended it with them further away and probably all about to die. A really bleak cliffhanger ending.

10. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I thought it was quite refreshing they way they turned it round, so you saw Voyager coming home and flying over Earth with fireworks etc in retrospect. Many people say they wanted that at the end of the show but all the director did was show it at the beginning. It was a whole galaxy better than the ending of DS9 and I had a memory block for the last ep of Enterprise but I heard it didn't go down so well.

11. teacake

You didn't like the lonely people at the window in space ending of DS9?

I loved the ambiguity of DS9's finale, could have done without the montage though.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    For me, they might have continued the obvious Odysseus parallel by having Janeway giving up Starfleet, just as Odysseus had to give up the sea in order to get home safe. Starfleet wants to prosecute the Maquis, and use Seven and the Doctor in experiments. In the process they end up exposing and taking down Section 31. In the end, Janeway could resign her commission as part of a deal to keep the Maquis, the Doctor, and Seven safe from judicial and scientific exploitation, or go public about what they are planning to do with the Voyager heroes. Ending with her and Seven walking down the road to meet Gretchen and the family in Bloomington.

13. Guy Gardener

Captain Janeway 20 seconds after the final credits started rolling was going to jail for crimes she was "about" to commit.

In a novel, the current day time cops were about to throw Janeway in jail forever for (what a future version of herself, as as well as she herself did, playing along with a bastard from the future giving her orders on how to turn time on it's ass) messing with timeline, when their 29th century counterparts appeared and said "No, let her go this was part of history." Which if you really think about it, doesn't change shit. She had broken the law like it didn't exist, but just because the law needed to be broken, Janeway gets saved by some fricking Robin Hood loophole even though she was completely ignorant about how Robin Hood she was? Janeway had already done what she needed to do to maintain the integrity of "a good" timeline, and it doesn't matter if the time cops from the "good" 29th century manipulated and railroaded her (or/and Admiral Janeway) into viciously changing time, because it only establishes a weakness in her character to remorselessly destroy time, because Kathryn had wittingly done a bad thing to ignorantly do a good thing, there can't have been a reason to reward her with a get out of jail card if after destroying the borg that nothing she is still yet to do is still vital to the integrity of the timeline?

Oh.

The Department of Temporal Affairs couldn't throw Kathy in jail because she still had things to do (in the novels).

Fricking time travellers with heir half truth bullshit.

When finally this woman has run out of important things to do for the history books: THEY ARE GOING TO LYNCH HER.

(In the novel, it was the 29th century Time cops singing Ding Dong the Borg are dead! Give the girl a slap on her back! But not only were the Borg not completely dead, but the Borg went on to kill 63 billion people in their next scrimmage... Which means that either time deviated from the good 29th century or the Good 29th century is a pack of hyena's who needed 63 billion people to die and needed Janeway to be responsible for the death of 63 billion people, and needed the present day time cops and the present day federation council to allow themselves to talk them selves into the destruction of 40 percent of the Federation by agreeing to issues and potentialities which they in no way understood.

Next time some timecop from the 29th century shows up with sage advice and majestic orders couched in words like "destiny", any one from 2381 onwards is probably going to blow their fricking faces through. Seriously! How is a human head like a window? When you shoot a hole through it the size of a cat flap.)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  14. JoCat

JoCat Cadet Newbie

I think the Endgame episode should be written off as a dream. Janeway awakens after having thiis incredible dream about coming home but, alas, it is only a dream. There she and the rest of Voyager crew are....still in the Delta Quadrant. Now,they need to find their own way home without the help of the future Janeway. Perhaps they have to battle to Borg to get to those transwarp hubs or whatever. And perhaps once they get through each hub it must be destroyed to keep the relentless Borg at bay. Or perhaps, the Species 8274 (I think) is reasserting itself as a hostile alien to contend with. In any case, it is a struggle and we don't know for sure that they make it until near the end. And yes, it would be nice to see some of the aftermath of arriving back home. I understand that Star Trek doesn't want to be to too sappy but just a 2 second shot of seeing the earth was not good enough at all. It was completely unsatisfying.

15. Guy Gardener

Sappy?

Watch Dark Frontier some time.

I wanted to see Seven vs the Queen in an hour long wrestling watch.

What I got was 60 minutes of I miss my daddy, oh, yeah, and I might have had a mommy too, before they finally remembered to inject some good vs evil/fate of the universe "meat" into that silly story.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as it's mud wrestling. It would be efficient. :p

17. teacake

What is this whole deal with mud, jello etc.. I don't get it at all.

18. Guy Gardener

The honest answer is that it hurts the girls less when they fall over.

That's all we care about, their health and safety.

19. teacake

That's so sweet. And I guess that's why you don't want them bogged down in extra layers of clothing either. They could drown in regular clothes with all that mud!

20. Guy Gardener

Mud is good for their skin.

It counteracts sun damage.