Matt Smith confirmed for series 8

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Lonemagpie, May 7, 2013.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Same here. I've been on about Elba for the doctor for ages. Annother good choice would be Damien Molony and Jason Fleming.

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

What is it about Idris Elba that is particularly Doctor-like, according to his supporters? Or is it just because you like the actor?

3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

4. Green Lantern

Both. :P

The great thing about him is that he wouldn't' be a typical doctor at all. Now I don't want the to stray to far away from a traditional doctor and cast a teenager or a woman, but I don't want them to pick a "default" kind of doctor either.

Elba reminds me of Eccleston the most who's already one of my favourite doctors. Plus I can't remember a single thing Elba's been in that I didn't like.

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's a good actor but completely wrong for the part of The Doctor.

6. Green Lantern

We need something fresh and different. Not too far astray, not too similar to past doctors. We want a goldilocks doctor, juuuuuuuuuuuust right. ;)

Okay, how about my second choice then? Damien Molony.

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen Molony in anything, but as far as looks, I think we can go a bit further astray than that. 30ish, handsome in a not entirely conventional way, floppy brown hair. . . yawn.

8. Green Lantern

He was in the last two series of Being Human. He'd most likely play the more like McGann the most but with more humour.

9. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

^I found him particularly hammy in Being Human. But everyone's hammy in that. How does he differ in other shows?

10. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Being Human is the only TV he's done so far.

I saw him in Travelling Light at the National Theatre and he was ok, not hammy but then Antony Sher was hamming it up so much in that you didn't really notice anyone else.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The fact that he's a good actor is number one, yeah. He'd certainly be a very different Doctor which I think could be quite interesting.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well never say never because he might surprise me, but much as I'm a fan of Elba (have been since Ultraviolet) he does not strike me as the Doctor type. Eccleston for all his hard exterior, was actually quite a broken man, plus before he got the part I knew he'd be able to play the Doctor because I'd seen him play odd, alien characters before (Nicole Kidman's husband in The Others for example). I'm yet to see anything in Elba's back catalog that suggests he could play an eccentric 1000 year old Time Lord.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my issues with Elba is that he's massive - he's built like a brick shit-house which makes him right for certain roles but I'm not so sure about the Doctor.

14. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does Doctor have to equal childish clown? Is that going to be Matt Smith's legacy?

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

How do you get "eccentric" to equal "childish clown"?

16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

And however we want to define it, it's Patrick Troughton's legacy more than anyone else's.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Or David Tennant's? Trouble is you can't see past your own prejudices.

I don't want another Matt Smith (don't want another Tennant either) but I want someone who can imbue the character with some sense of the Doctor, and I just don't see that in Elba. I'm starting to think maybe you're serious about Statham now...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's easy to joke about Statham as the Doctor, such as in the one funny Ctrl-Alt-Del comic, because people would expect Statham to play the Doctor in the style of all of Statham's roles -- the hard-edged, ass-kicking, death-dealing anti-hero.

If Statham played the Doctor, he would have to play against type. I have no idea if he'd want the role -- to be honest, it would be a lot more work and a lot less pay than for a feature film -- but if he were interested, it would be for that reason, to demonstrate that he's capable of more than his persona.

No, I'm not saying that Statham as the Doctor would be a good idea or not. I would be amused by the casting (it would make some sections of fandom go batshit insane). Could be interesting. Could be a disaster.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

So it'd be like as if Jon Pertwee had returned from the dead. :techman:

20. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Good lord. I hope that at some point you can get over your "STEVEN MOFFAT ISN'T RUSSELL T DAVIES THEREFORE HE SUCKS AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH HIM SUCKS" spiel. Honestly, the palpable glee you take in every bit of news or rumors that could maybe, possibly have some sort of negative reflection upon Moffat is starting to border on nauseating.

Anyway, back on topic, Idris Elba is not going to be the next Doctor. Hugh Laurie is not going to be the next Doctor. Benedict Cumberbatch is not going to be the next Doctor. The BBC will select an actor with whom they have some familiarity, someone who's done some work for them (appearances in television shows, with maybe a bit role in a movie) and that they can sign cheaply, given the ongoing budget issues.