Will you be able to resist boot legged copies of STID?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DarthTom, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

I won't. I have a moral issue with it, and I also don't care for the extreme low quality of handycam recordings.

The only movie I've ever seen outside of a theater prior to it being released on DVD was Taken, and that's because I didn't actually know it hadn't come out when a friend brought it over on DVD and my roommates threw it in the player. It was also a DVD-quality video and not a handycam recording, despite the fact that it wasn't even in theaters yet. I didn't find out until afterwards, so I went and saw it in theaters when it came out to sort of "clear my conscience," even though it wasn't really the kind of movie I would have seen that way. As a musician though, I take a hard line against piracy (even though I've never released material for sale, but that's my choice).

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because most major films actually make more money overseas than in the US now. Studios don't mind bootlegging of films as much, because they know people don't like camrips, but if there's a screener copy leaked, they'll flip their shit. That said, the bootlegs could help boost DVD/BD sales down the road by exposing more people to the movie, so it's not a total loss.

3. Maxx42

Maxx42 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Gave up on bootlegs because Jerry and Kramer never got me a copy of "DEATHBLOW" and "CRY, CRY AGAIN".

:techman::p:lol::lol::lol::p:techman:

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Iron Man's record breaking $200 million weekend take seems to confirm that assertion.

Forbes

No doubt, Disney is popping the champagne corks.

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Me, too. In fact there is a high probability that I'll be seeing this one a few times in the theatre. For sure, once each in 3D and 2D - and I know one of my grown kids will insist we go together as well.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

While that is true, the US is still by far the largest individual national market for movies in terms of box office, which is why it's a little strange to have the movie start a few weeks later here, because that basically guarantees that the pirates will have a much greater number of buyers/downloaders while people are eagerly waiting the film's release.

7. DarthTom

Addiionally it's much harder for US film companies to enforce copyright law and shut down international websites than domestically

8. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Well when Ironman 3 was first released online it was in Russian, tried to watch it and it was unwatchable, so I just went to the end to watch the closing action scene.
    2 days later it was up in English.

I won't watch Star Trek in Russian that's my line in the sand.

9. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Didn't Chekov tell you? Star Trek is originally from Russia!

10. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't have the patience to watch a muddy, shaky-cam picture with muffled audio. So yeah, resistance is a piece of cake.

11. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

after four years between movies we'll only have a few months to wait for the DVD or Blu-ray so I will most definitely be waiting for the full HD sexiness :D

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The only bootleg I couldn't resist was in the 1980s. It was a vhs copy of a certain blooper reel from a certain television show during a visit to a dealer's table at a certain convention.

13. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Even if a Blu-ray 5 channel version were available right now, I would resist. I dislike getting letters from Cox.

I admit my morality loosens up the older a movie or song is.

14. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I'm resisting. Being currently stationed in Afghanistan all I have to do is walk down to the Bazaar and pick up any new movie on bootleg for $2.00 but they are crappy filmed in a theater with a phone/camera copies.

I won't watch them any more, even if I didn't buy it. We have a DVD shelf in the conference room that has all sorts of movies there (some bootleg some legit) and I picked up the new Resident Evil and Taken 2 from the shelf. Both were movie theater filmed bootlegs and I immediately turned them off. The ones that are copied from original DVDs (Robin Hood is one I watched) are fine with me.

But for STID, if I can't get to Qatar on my 4-day pass to see it I'll wait till I redeploy and watch it at home. I refuse to even think of watching this one on bootleg. I would hope that the DVD would be out in the states by November so I can see it as soon as I get home.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that's the one I'll be getting.

16. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I'll see it in the movies for the whole big screen thing. Wouldn't look good on my monitor.

17. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

I can resist in this case. This is a movie that needs the theater experience. However, once I've seen it a few times in the theater, all bets are off.

18. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

If they keep releasing clips, not only will I be able to resist a boot leg, I will be able to resist the theatrical release. I'm starting to feel as though I've already seen the movie.

19. DarthTom

:lol: True Dat. Someone with too much time on their hands should try to string togethter all of the existing clips into what would be a close as possible as what the spoilers say happens and make a mini-film - which I'd wager between all of the clips is over 20 minutes of air time.

20. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

New Zealand gets it a week before the US so I'll not need to. :)