Season 7- Would U Rather Have Seen a Recurring Jadzia or Stick w/Ezri?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 9, 2012.

?

What is your view on how Producers dealt with the Dax character?

1. I am glad that the Producers killed Jadzia and introduced Dax’s new host (Ezri) as a regular Season

27 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. The Producers should not have killed Jadzia, but made her as a reoccurring Season 7 character.

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. The Producers should not have killed Jadzia, but made her come back for the Series finale.

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Season 7- Would U Rather Have Seen a Recurring Jadzia or Stick w/E

Well I preferred Ezri to Jadzia anyway, so keep Ezri, kill Jadzia.

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

Definitely should have made Ezri a man. Cast someone like JR Bourne from Stargate :luvlove:

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jadzia should have been in the final montage in What You Leave Behind. Certainly though killing Jadzia was just the bold move you had come to expect from DS9. The whole Pagh-wraith thing really was a weak point in Dukat's character arc, but the fact that he did murder Jadzia quite casually was crossing a proverbial Rubicon with the character that whatever admirable traits he had, he was quite nonredeemable. The shock value of Jadzia's death, and the consequences thereof are full of just the character goodness one had come to expect from DS9.

I find myself surprised she's supposedly expressing willingness to return as a guest or what not when she threw a fit over a snippet from a previous season being used in flashback even threatening legal consequences. I would imagine that was why she wasn't asked for a part in the finale, despite whatever lip service Ferrel gave to being willing to return.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't call killing Jadzia a bold move, every show does that as a cheap ratings-grab when their regulars leave. Every crime procedural anyway.

Another Dax was the easy move, since every fan would already be emotionally attached to her. The harder move would have been to introduce a totally new character. Killing Dax was the most 'Standard long running TV show procedure' move DS9 ever made.

That being said I did like Ezri. Just, killing a character because their contract ended is the most fantasy-breaking thing you can do, and I prefer being immersed.

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Kira was more than enough woman for S7 :)

I do think that a male Ezri would have been interesting.

6. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it was also the unique thing about a regular character in Star Trek, it would have been a waste not to use it.

If Terry had been willing its a shame they couldn't have had both of them in the mirror universe episode. Funny that Jadzia died (offscreen) too.

7. miraclekid

miraclekid Ensign Red Shirt

I would have preferred Jadzia had stayed on as a reoccurring character. Don't get me wrong now, Ezri is adorkable and all but she is no Jadzia. Definitely my preferred Dax.

8. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked Ezri more then Jadzia. Terry Farrel is a decent actress and had amazing looks, but she didn't pull off the "Wise Jadzia" well, and the "Klingon Jadzia" I found old after a while.

Actually, in 20/20 back views. They should of started with Ezri, and had a unexpected Trill getting dax and growing into her new self over the seasons.

That, and Nicole De Boer is Adorable.

9. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Ezri was one of the better parts of season 7, and anyway, Nicole DeBoer was hooooooooooooooot!

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I was never a real Ezri fan (I like her more in the post-DS9 Trek books where they've essentially reinvented her). I much preferred Jadzia and her wordly devil-may-care attitude on life.

11. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

that was more mid-DS9 Jadzia to me. I thought early DS9 Jadzia was more the aloof, cerebral scientist.

12. R. Star

Yeah, it would've been nice if they were consistent with Jadzia. One episode she's acting calm and sophisticated, the next she's drinking until she drops with Ferengi, the next she's on a quest with Klingons to kill something.

I get the whole Trill thing changed your personality from when you started, but I didn't think it was supposed to give you multiple personality disorder.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think earlier she had more a Zen-like thing--not too many things fazed her--but even then, she didn't stand too much on ceremony.

14. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I would rather have jadzia is a rucurring role than have erzi,they could of have jadziz promoted and tranferredto a ship as it science officer or even 1st officer.

15. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm perfectly happy with their choice.

First, Jadzia was one of my least favourite characters and I think that Farrell was one of the weaker actors on the show, so not too sad to see them go.

Second, killing off one Dax host and introducing another one was great from the story standpoint, lots of cool things could be, and were, done with that.

And lastly, I am a fan of Ezri and DeBoer.

So, for me, this was win all around!

16. scotcat

scotcat Ensign Red Shirt

I think they made the right decision.

I liked jadzia, but the actress only signed for 6 seasons and was looking elsewhere by season 7. It's better they killed the character off than have her appear periodically with an actress that possibly didn't want to be there.

I found Ezri to be an interesting counterpoint to Jadzia. I always felt it was a shame we only got the one season with De Boer.

17. R. Star

My biggest problem with Ezri was the same thing that happens to every character that's introduced mid-run of a series... you have a large percentage of episodes being about them, as if to overexpose the audience and somehow compensate for them not being around earlier. Seems every non-Dominion episode in season 7 was about Ezri just about... and half of the rest had the B plot revolving around her.

18. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I would still have Jadzia killed off but during the Siege of AR-558. It would have given that story more dramatic punch and by happening a couple episodes in would have been more unexpected. Then Ezri shows up on the station but as a young but brilliant civilian scientist.

Then the part Ezri played in the early episodes could have been taken by the character of Erika Benteen from the season 4 epsiodes Homefront/Paradise Lost who imho would have made a great regular or recurring character.

Erika Benteen would have been a familiar face to the audiance rather than a complete newbie. Because of her previous actions in Homefront/Paradise Lost she would have been demoted to a lower rank and maybe not given jailtime since she helped in the end but instead assigned duties on earth and held back from serving on the front because of being mistrusted. It would have made sense that she would be on earth and that she would have time on her hands to visit Sisko who she knows even if they didnt part on the bets of terms.

But because of helping Sisko in the opening episode he gets her assigned to the station but she still faces mistrust from those around her like Worf with his often rigid ideals of honor. Her past involvement in conspiracies coudl be a bonding point with Garak, Bashir could develop a crush on her, Nog and jake might distrust her at first but come to be good friends. Some of the stories that Ezri had could have easily suited Benteen with minimal changes. The whole story with Ezri's family could have been easily twisted to fit Benteen and she could have had a romance with Bashir where he helped her to lighten up a little.

The whole Worf and co. grieving for Jadzia by taking on a seemingly suicide mission to ensure her a place in sto vo kor could have happened a little later than the opening episode with a few minor tweaks or not at all.

As you can probably tell this is a subject i have already spent plenty of time overthinking :P

Edited to add that i do really like Ezri as a character and think she has more interesting personality than Jadzia i just think she would have worked better if not a counsellor and without the romancing a guy still in love with her previous host (im referring to Bashir not Worf here).

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been watching some of the Ezri shows recently (Afterimage and Prodigal Daughter) and the more I see of her, the more I like. She might even become better than Jadzia, which is something I didn't believe about 2 years ago.

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jadzia never did much for me as a character. Farrell was very good to look at, but if that's all that I find interesting in a character, I'd rather see that character go.
    I liked the character of Ezri, even though she wasn't a very original one. Young woman, struggling to find her place in life... Sure, they did an interesting take on it with the whole unwanted Joining, but other then that, characters like her are a dime a dozen. Still, I liked Ezri.
    What pissed me off was the way they treated Ezri in the novels. She became a know-it-all bitch, constantly using the knowledge of the symbiont's prior hosts to proof that she 'rawks'. Constantly argueing with Bashir that she MUST be right in every fight they had, because not only was she a trained counseller, she also now had all this knowledge at her fingertips, so how could she be wrong? So you know what, she thinks, I should switch to command, since I can finally reach my/our fullest potential there. There were a few subtle hints that things may backfire, but in the end, Ezri gets command of a brand-spanking-new starship, since both the CO and XO died. I'm sorry, but she got a bit to much Mary Sue at the end. Here's hoping she'll grow into a more mature and stable character in the novels.