NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Use of Time, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Giving up #1 overall for Alex Smith should be cause for automatic termination and probably civil commitment in the psych ward, too.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You don't even get first round picks for good players in trades anymore. We're talking mid-round pick at best.

3. Timby

The 49ers will be lucky to get a 6th-round pick at best for Smith. They can make all the noise they want about feeling confident that they can work out a trade or whatever, but everyone knows that the finances simply don't work out to eat a $9+ million cap hit for a guy who's going to be your backup quarterback. San Francisco's leverage is essentially nonexistent, and they're posturing.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Carson Palmer would disagree with you. And a first-round pick from the Raiders is almost as good as a #1 overall pick.

5. Timby

Oh, my God, the Chiefs traded a second-round pick and a mid-level pick next year for Alex Smith.

What in the world are Reid / Dorsey smoking? That is a hilarious overpay.

6. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Ummmm.....

7. Timby

See my above post. The Chiefs went full retard, holy hell.

A second round pick at #34 is a fucking ridiculous amount to pay for a guy that was going to be released: His contract was way too high to be riding the bench. A third-round pick (which at #63 overall is technically a bottom 2nd) should have more than sufficed. To throw in a future pick next year as well? That's fucking lunacy considering the complete lack of leverage that San Francisco had.

8. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somebody just got done negotiating what is reported to be a 6-year, $120M contract. Any guesses on who that was? Anybody?

Joe Flacco. Oh good lord. :lol: Don't get me wrong, the guy's not a bad QB by any means.... but he ain't a $120M QB either. Oh, Baltimore. No wonder why the GM said they wouldn't be paying out the ass to keep this year's team together- they don't have any money left to bring the rest of them back! :lol:

9. Timby

Flacco was overpaid, sure, but he took a risk cutting off contract talks before the season, won the Super Bowl (and was the MVP), was a dropped pass and missed field goal from going last year on top of that, and honestly, someone would pay him for that. The Ravens absolutely could not lose him under any circumstance. What other option did they have? Flacco and his agent took a big gamble, and it paid off.

Also, this deal means that Aaron Rodgers is going to own part of Lambeau Field when his extension gets worked out.

10. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

My thoughts on Flacco...

[​IMG]

11. tighr

Haha yeah I read that. There's actually about ten more pages of that, and it ends with Flacco not really being elite after all.

12. Timby

I agree that it's an overpay for Flacco, but I say again, they've made the playoffs every year he's been on the team, he just had a lights-out postseason and was the Super Bowl MVP. What should the Ravens have done, let him walk and trade for Alex Smith / draw on the deep pool of quarterbacks in free agehahahahaha I can't finish that sentence with a straight face.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Given the QB market and the fact that other good QBs are getting extensions right now, it's hard to do anything but overpay for Flacco. It's not like the Ravens have an alternative option.

14. Timby

Exactly. This deal is basically what at least 15 other teams would have given him on the market, and the Ravens sure as shit don't want to go through another decade of sifting through garbage to find a franchise quarterback. He's a good-to-great quarterback, so if they need to pay him market value, so be it.

The Ravens are a well-run franchise and they have very little deadweight on their books:

They can afford the Flacco contract. And let's be realistic, also; he'll restructure three or four years from now.

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Harvin and Boldin join the NFC West.

Damn!

:scream:

16. Timby

Boldin, no. :(

How the hell did Newsome only manage to get a sixth-round pick for the guy who bailed the Ravens out so many times? Ugh. But ... I suppose it makes sense. A young offensive line with very much to be optimistic about is many times more important than a 33-year-old slot receiver. Boldin probably has a great year of production left, but I'd rather see Flacco able to stand upright during the season like he did in the playoffs, and sling throws to Pitta and Torrey.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Yeah, it's tough to know with a receiver that age. Still, he is so big and strong....

I'm thinking more selfishly. Harvin and Boldin enter our division, Amendola is looking like an Eagle (or maybe a Raven?), Gibson is definitely gone...Bradford needs some serious help. Our three receivers after that are Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Austin Pettis.

That's not going to cut it.

Take Steven Jackson out of the offense, and the Rams are going to need several offensive miracles.

:scream:

18. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

More QB carousel rumors: The Cleveland Browns are supposedly interested in arranging a trade with New England for Ryan Mallett, but Belichick might not be willing to part with him unless the Browns pay a high price:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/03/two_potential_qb_targets_for_c.html

Of course, if New England does trade away Mallett, then they'll have an opening for backup quarterback, which could pave the way for a Tim Tebow - Josh McDaniels reunion. ;)

19. tighr

Is this real life?

http://deadspin.com/pranksters-record-two-nfl-gms-discussing-free-agency-ov-452366184

I don't even understand how something like this happens. The only way this is possible is that these guys are older and not tech-savvy and don't understand how calls are routed/connected. Especially when one of them says he's been calling all day, and suddenly gets through on that same number, but the other says it must have been a wrong number.

In any event, there's some solid information on Fitzpatrick there. He's going to have to restructure because he's not putting up his fair share of numbers. Two seasons ago he started out like a firecracker and got his deal, but 8 games left (plus all of last season) he was pedestrian. You gotta imagine the same conversation is going on in New York behind closed doors about Sanchez.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've got this feeling the NFC West might be the best division in Football next year. Seattle goes after Harvin, and then in almost a response, 49ers go after Boldin. That was a great trade too, as the 49ers have plenty of draft picks (And will be adding a second rounder with the Smith trade) and they pick up a wide reciever threat, while not really in his prime, can still contribute. I just with the 49ers would go after Revis, but now that just doesn't seem likely. That's a little unfortunate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.