Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I can live with that because I was drooling during the whole sequence. :techman:

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

So nuKirk is like the nuScriptwriters then.

The whole 10 minutes of "Kirk gets demoted for recklessness and then again promoted to Captain" thing could have been cut out of the film without making a difference. It's as pointless as the ship being under water in the opening sequence.

3. BillJ

You're right it could have been cut. But I really love the dialogue of the scene and the way Greenwood, Pine and Quinto played it.

There are times I simply go to the movies to enjoy the ride. It had been a really long time since I had went to a Star Trek movie and enjoyed the ride before Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman came along.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Could it have been? I liked the scene cause it was a very father and son moment. I think losing that scene would have lessened the impact of Pike killed later, as well as the "grown up decision" of Kirk to take Khan into custody over gunning him down as ordered.

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I posted once that the opening sequence was probably meant to be indicative of the kinds of dangerous stunts and stupid things they were doing over the last year. (The things that made Kirk a pain in the ass to Pike.)

If anyone in the audience face-palmed during that opening scene, that may have been part of the writers' intent. The Kirk at the beginning of the movie is immortal and acts that way. He believes whatever he chooses to do, and however he chooses to do it, things will always be fine in the end. In fact, he probably thinks he's not only immortal, he's a genius. The movie was about him learning that neither of those traits are true.

Now, if 53 year-old Jim Kirk ever took the Enterprise underwater, it better be for a damned good reason.

6. BillJ

I love the scenes in question but I think the whole "Kirk gets demoted" subplot wasn't handled very well. He's a "Captain", then a "Cadet", then a "Commander/First Officer" then a "Captain" again in a span of about ten minutes. It was awkwardly structured and I think they could've done it better and given us the same father/son and death scenes.

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That is true, there's a better way it could have been handled. Slowed it down. But with the pacing as it is, the scene is needed.

Maybe have sent Pike after Khan, Kirk as XO, Pike dies restarting the core, Kirk gets the Enterprise back for the 5 year mission at the very end.

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    True and true... and I think I tend to take background materials somewhat more seriously than most until screen directly contradicts it. Admittedly, this is my problem, not the Abramsverse's. :rommie:

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with this. The land/water thing seemed different for no apparent reason, and that in and of itself bothered me... but if you can build a 700 meter starship, then why can't you build it on the ground. ;)

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What I find funny is when people take examples like Voyager or the Holoship, which were specifically designed to operate in the atmosphere, and then make the jump to "therefore, the Enterprise must be able to do this as well".

No, it doesn't mean that by default. Just because Voyager had landing gears doesn't mean the Enterprise has. Just because the Enterprise-D could separate doesn't mean the Enterprise-E can. Just because the Holoship, which is basically formed like a brick, can be hidden a couple of meters under lake water doesn't mean the Enterprise can hide hundred meters (because that's where the engineering section would be) under (potentially) salt water.

That's the "we went to the moon, why can't I have a flying car" logic. ;)

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Indicates that Starfleet ships can with little effort though.

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well this is a universe flying cars :lol: Along with gravity manipulation technology, forcefields, and the like. So tossing a few metric tons of metal into orbit should be child's play.

Well Scotty was bitching about salt-water damage. But otherwise, a starship is basically a submarine: a sealed environment. So real issue there, in terms of keeping the crew alive. And this goes back to different Enterprise, different specs. We don't know what is the norm in this timeline.

12. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Enterprise did operate in the atmosphere in the original series. It was low enough for an F104 to intercept it and try to shoot it down. The Enterprise D used meta phasic shields (WTF) to sit inside a star, and a phase cloak to go through an asteroid yet people flip out because Enterprise is sitting underwater. It looked cool though. :p So when nu Kirk gets to the planet with the Roman Empire and tells Flavius his ship is somewhere at sea, he isn't bs'ing :p

-Chris

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  13. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would have been cooler than the throwaway of the ship underwater in the opening teaser just to scare the crap out of a bunch of aliens. It would have been a pretty cool homage to Space Battlecruiser Yamato. Although Trek has done that before intentionally and unintentionally. Two cases the deflector dish used as a weapon against the borg, and stealing the Enterprise in Search of Spock was very similiar to the Yamato crew stealing their ship to stop the comet empire. The sequences are very similar with ships trying to stop them, and escaping the dock.

-Chris

14. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Because, as people have pointed out numerous times before, if you're going to criticize one episode or movie for doing thing X, while simultaneously calling another episode or movie or series consistent and ignoring that it also did X, we're going to call you on it.

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I think it's important to point out that it's a different Enterprise, built at a different date in a different timeline.

So ?

16. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I rather liked the watershot, if you are going to reveal yourself and break the prime directive why not do it in style. :cool:

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A submarine has to keep many atmospheres of pressure out. A starship has to keep one atmosphere of pressure in. Very different design problems.

18. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

It was cool. Can't we leave it at that?

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Still, basically, a sealed metal tube. For a society that has forcefields and gravity manipulation tech, it's pretty much a non issue.

Apparently not :lol: I can't recall any other shot in a Trek movie being dissected as much as this one has.

20. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Shields and starship hulls have to keep out impact events in space (space junk can hit pretty hard due to its velocity, and it's not all going to come head on for the navigational deflector to stop it, which is still a "shield"), which is an order of magnitude higher than the pressure on the whole ship when submerged on an earth-like planet. A metal bolt hitting at 20 km/s is harder to protect against than water pressure (earth-like ocean), and we don't see this bothering starships in Trek.

Not to mention being able to withstand the most common threats in battle to some extent (which has shown to be true in Star Trek -- ships seem to be able to withstand a certain amount of battle damage), which again, will be far higher than the pressures of an earth-like planet's oceans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.