Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Stupid me, my eyes saw Reunion, my brain said Remember Me. What an idiot. :D

2. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

It certainly looks like we're on to a winner here if the guys at CBS D are working on season 4. If true I wonder if they either extended the schedule or expanded the facilities and workforce to accommodate doing more.

3. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Lets hope they have given CBS-D the time and resources needed to do this project justice.

[​IMG]

4. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Is that a screenshot from the Blu-ray? Oh dear. :(

5. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I love the little red light hanging above the saucer. I feel that is attempting to run behind the saucer in shame.

The nacelles feel wrong to me. The right and left nacelles feel that they are attached to the pylons at an angle.

The ship doesn't feel that is in the same space as the planet. It feels to me that the ship is superimposed over a backdrop.

6. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

WHAT IS THAT SHOT???? Looks worse than any we have seen so far

I cant wait for S3 trailer

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That must be the same ugly blue planet from before. What ep is that from?

8. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

IIRC, that was Starbase 6, and was from the episode "The Schizoid Man".

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

What the hell is going on on the right edge of this shot?

10. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Definite issue with missing grain:

VFX in shot, like stars in a window etc: NO GRAIN
    no VFX: Normal Grain

Also sometimes issues with black levels. Sometimes the vfx stars in the window are fully black but then the black in the uniforms or Trois hair are grey instead of black. EDIT: Might be all the time when vfx in shot, like a window. The black of space is correct but uniforms etc are now grey.

11. ACE

ACE Lieutenant Red Shirt

It looks as if the frame edge of the Enterprise-D elements ends before the frame edge of the background elements.

An easy fix for that would have been to reposition the Enterprise-D elements further to the right until the frame edges matched, or to stretch those same elements slightly to the horizontal until the edges met up.

On a standard def, CRT television, you probably would have never seen this, because the overscan of the picture tube would have masked it off. In high def, where the entire frame is clearly visible to the home viewer, this is inexcusable. Very sloppy.

12. BillJ

You can still see the window lights right at the edge of the frame if you look close. :guffaw:

I'll reserve judgement until I view the set. But there's no way it's a 4/5 or 9/10 on video like the review sites keep saying.

13. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, that's awful. Will CBS go all the way and redo the effects of season 2 from scratch? I hope so. But it will take a ton of prolonged outrage for that to happen. CBS would definitely have to pull out the checkbook and put out a mea culpa.

Reviewers obviously aren't going through every episode with a fine-toothed comb, just as before. Which I can understand, but again, what's the point of a review that looks at only 5-10% of the total package?

You know, you can't really blame HTV for this. CBS apparently expected them to be more competent than they were capable of being. CBS should have known their track record. Dan Curry or no Dan Curry, they were not up to the task. Once again, CBS's rush to get a product out the door at minimum cost has come back to bite them.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You mean that red light isn't suppose to be Q "watching" the crew of the Enterprise during the whole humanity on trial thing?:devil:

15. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Yep. If your going to take on a project like this...do it once and do it right. In the end you don't save yourself anything by cutting corners.

Respect the property your working on. Respect the paying customers too. They'll be there patiently waiting when a new Season is finished. Two seasons a year is more than enough, there was no need to try and rush 3 Seasons through.

It would be great if CBS-Digital were allowed to go back and revamp Season 2 at the end of the project, but I doubt the CBS parent company will allow that. We'll be stuck with this mess for the long haul.

16. BillJ

While I'll be picking up season two, I'll be sorely disappointed if CBS lets HTV-Illuminate anywhere near TNG again.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

After last night, it was almost as if I put the picture quality at the end of my reasons for getting this set. I'm not going to allow that to overshadow the other things, like:

-The Abundance of special features that should have been on the DVD in the first place

-Measure of a Man extended cut

-Being a completest

-Deleted scenes

-It's TNG, my favorite series

I do hope this company doesn't do the other seasons because their job was hap-hazard. I think what really bothers me about this is I originally thought the PR about doing this for the fans, putting in a lot of care for this, stuff like that was genuine. If it was so genuine, they would have cut HTV out of it pretty much after the first quality check. Yeah I know they have deadlines, and it was the holiday season (Hey, if you were a company doing this, wouldn't you want to take advantage of the holiday season too?) but Season 2 isn't up to the standards of Season 1 and that's a shame. Add to that the audio issues of season 1 and the whole replacement thing going on, and I have to ask, how genuine are they that they are really doing this for the fans?

One other thing, why hasn't the price for this come down yet? The season has 3 less episodes than the previous season and that was like $59. I looked on Amazon and even though cyber week and Black Friday, it was still $79. What is going on there?

18. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Might this have aomething to do with the fact that the effects elements were shot in 1.33.1 aspect ratio and the image on this set is 1.35.1.?

19. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

At least it's not going to HTV this time. The more I read about that company the more dreadful work I find out about.