Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I've made it halfway through JF, and I have to say that Bruce Kalish and Co. managed to accomplish the very thing that Saban is attempting to do with Samurai through the reuse of the classic KNOT theme song and the inclusion of Bulk, but without the 'nostalgia factor' being forceful upon us. PRNS is more closely analogous to MMPR than JF (with every single character in NS having an equivalent MMPR character.), but JF and MMPR are incredibly similar in other ways.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Totally agree. The music was great and it had some awesome moments. All the episode arcs were fantastic

There was some wacky humor but I think it was there to balance out the serious moments.

I tried to like Jungle Fury but it just watered down all important parts of Gekiranger. I only watched a few episodes clips.

Episode 22 fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNq8IeJsMcg

3. Samurai8472

Shout Factory's will manufacture season dvds

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16646

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally! I don't plan on getting any PR DVDs myself, but this is excellent news nonetheless. :techman:

5. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that's fantastic news but you can watch all that including samurai, vr troopers, big bad beetleborgs and ninja turtles: the next mutation. all for streaming on NETFLIX the only things they don't have for streaming are the 2 movies.

6. Samurai8472

Legend War scenes HAVE been filmed for the eventual Power Ranger's version of "Gokaiger"

http://henshinjustice.com/2012/03/14/toei-filmed-power-rangers-legendary-war/

So Power Ranger's version will get this

[​IMG]

Minus about 15 groups.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, you don't mean that's a picture of the PR version, you mean it will be that picture minus about 15 of the depicted groups. I got confused there for a bit because I didn't see that last sentence.

8. timothy

this morning's power rangers was pretty good I love the new bull zword and the shogun battle armor on the red reanger is awesome. I would've taken that for the battleizer armor.

9. Christopher

The approach Power Rangers (Super) Samurai has taken to adapting the Sentai original -- retelling the story almost verbatim with its Japanese cultural context virtually unchanged while recasting the roles as Westerners -- is often bizarre and off-putting, but never more so than in this week's "The Bullzord." It was so weird hearing this very Caucasian father and son talking about how they were the descendants of a master Shogun and the creators of the "symbol power" based on Japanese writing. It wouldn't have been so bizarre if they'd just cast Asian actors in those parts (as I think they should've done with the Red Ranger at least)... although it would still leave the mystery of how the Bullzord could be in a mountain in (presumably) America after having been imprisoned by the Shogun 300 years ago (since Japan wasn't opened to the West until the 19th century).

And I know this franchise isn't strong on continuity, but I'm sure previous seasons have established Zords who were around much more than 300 years ago. Weren't the original Dinozords 10,000 years old or something? (Assuming they dated from the period of Zordon's original battle with Rita.) And of course one would assume that Zordon was the creator of the first Zord, just going from the name.

And why the heck was there a cave inside a Zord?

10. Samurai8472

I loved rangerboard's short description of it

Centuries ago in Japan, a very white group of Samurai entrusted a very white family with an auto-transforming mecha with lots of artillery. The history of the PRU is very weird, and very white.

11. timothy

wow who knew antonio could sing.

so is the bulk in this series is he the same one in lost galax? and if so how did he get back to earth?

12. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Bulk (and Skull) was seen in 'the 'Forever Red' special', during Wild Force's season. No mention was ever made on how he got back to Earth. Though we can speculate that since the Astro Megaship had been rebuilt on KL-35 (Andros' planet), regular runs to Miranoi and elsewhere were possible.

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    While I really shouldn't be buying any more DVDs of anything right now, I'd be very tempted to get some of these. Back in the day, I missed quite a few 3rd season episodes of MMPR. I loved Zeo & In Space. If I'm in a campy mood, I might pick up Turbo, if only for Hilary Shepherd Turner's portrayal of Divatox. ("Viva la Diva!") And I've heard lots of great things about RPM, so I might try that one if I'm interested in something new.

14. Christopher

I didn't much care for today's music-oriented Super Samurai episode, although it's noteworthy in that it seems to be a more original story for a change rather than a slavish adaptation of a Sentai episode. The fact that Bulk and Spike actually get significant screen time and are somewhat integrated into the story, rather than just having a couple of short scenes unconnected to what else is going on, is evidence of that (though all that stuff with the biker gang was bizarre). But the timing for such a story is odd, because the final defeat of that monster who's been recurring for the past few weeks, the guy who was played up as such a big menace, comes off as an afterthought.

15. Christopher

Well, obviously I was wrong two weeks ago about that being Serrator's final episode. Anyway, I kinda liked this week's episode, "Runaway Spike." They managed to make Spike less annoying and more sympathetic by having him try to get work to help his Uncle Bulk, and go through a personal crisis about his constant failure. And it's good that they're finally starting to have some interaction between Bulk & Spike and the Rangers. It's been very awkward having them in brief tacked-on scenes that had little or nothing to do with the main episode plots, and only interacting with each other. If they begin to interact more regularly with Mia, Antonio, and hopefully the other Rangers, it would be a better way to make use of the characters.

16. timothy

Fantastic episode this week. I like spike boy did he inhearet his fathers laugh. I just want to know who his mother is?

17. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm finally doing a watch-through of Kevin's Choice, and the episode has me 100% convinced of a couple of things:
    1) The prohibition against interacting with others and giving up your old life is less of a 'hard and fast' rule and more of a 'guideline', albeit one that Kevin has latched on to as a personal indicator of one's level of dedication to the Samurai lifestyle and the duties of being a Samurai Ranger

2) Dayu's angst and issues have less to do with what actually happened to her and Deker and more to do with the way she's 'internalized' what happened to her and Deker, with her having latched on to the image of a 'perfect wedding' and her physical Harmonium as a way to deal with her angst and issues and cope with what happened to her and Deker. In a way, the symbols of the perfect wedding and her Harmonium have become more important than the actual circumstances surrounding Serrator tricking her and cursing both her and Deker.

Note: I'd actually become convinced of Point #1 earlier on in the season after being able to watch the first 10 episodes of the season in their proper chronological order, but Kevin's Choice just further cemented things for me.

Edit: I'm in the process of watching Runaway Spike now, and the Dayu/Deker scene in the episode only further illustrates my second point.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  18. Christopher

Well, last week I said it would make better use of Bulk and Spike if they were integrated more with the Ranger cast, and that's exactly what seems to be happening. Their treatment this season is a definite improvement over last. And this episode was a lot of fun (though I'm wondering where Emily got the wig).

19. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Ji's closet! :rolleyes:

It was fun. Great seeing Bulk and Spike fully involved-the most of any episode(?) and not simply cut and pasted in. Though it did bother me that Emily didn't give them credit for returning the wallet (to Mia).

20. timothy

She looked hot in that outfit.
    :drool::drool::drool::drool: