Help. Question.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TerokNor, Nov 26, 2010.

1. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

"...be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old"

Does this mean till the 30th birthday, so the last day to apply for this visa would be when you are 29 years and nearly 12 month...or does it mean, when you ARE 30, like for example 30 years and 9 month, but not yet 31, you also still can apply for the visa?

TerokNor

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Under 31.

PS. thread needs poll for maximum fun

3. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

Are you very sure, because if you have your 30th birthday you start your 31 years of living....which would mean you are over 30 years old then...

TerokNor

P.S. This needs no fun, this is deadly serious! :P

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you wanted a definitive answer, you'd ask the agency administering the visa, not TrekBBS. :p

But if you're asking what the common vernacular meaning of that sentence is, then it's what I said. :)

5. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Look t it this way. When you are 30, you tell people you are 30. You don't tell them you are in your 31st year do you?

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

No more than 30 = 30 or less. If you are 30, you qualify.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, as long as you are under 31, you should be fine.

Disclaimer, if we're wrong, it's your fault for not asking someone who would definitely know the answer to the question.

8. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

Thanks for the answers...but yeah, I guess you are right and I have to write to the Embassy and ask there...just to be very sure. Would be rather stupid when I´d want a visa next year and they tell me no, too old.
    On the German side it says "vollendetes 30tes Lebensjahr" which would mean till the 30th birthday, but not after....but then...sometimes things get translated wrongly.
    Why are there age limits anyway? Idiotic...like what if I´d like to have a year rest from ordinary life with 50 and want to do work and travel in another country then, because I had no time before...and can´t because of age. Not fair...actually it is descriminating, isn´t it?
    If they already have to restrict the freedom of moving and working with visas, they at least could do it without age limit.

Uhm..how can I say it clearly, to the point, less complicated and in correct English what I want to know? Cause I always write a bit long winded and complicated and am never sure I get across what my question is...

TerokNor

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am ___ years old. My birthday is --/--/----. Do I qualify for a visa?

10. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

Thanks. :) Thats really to the point, I only have to add when I want to leave, as right now I know I do still qualify for the visa.

TerokNor

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Based on the quote, one would no longer qualify as of his 30th birthday (and the German translation is consistent with that). As you said, the conventional method of counting age is to count years completed-- unlike, say, the method of counting years, which labels them with the current number. So, while saying this is 2010 means that 2010 is in progress, saying you're 30 means that you have completed 30 years and moved on.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But then you have to report to Carousel and hope that you RENEW! RENEW! ;)

13. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

*looks devastated* I really hope you are wrong, but I do fear you are right.
    What do I do when you are right? That would destroy my whole plans for next year and the year after.

TerokNor

14. RJDiogenes

Sorry about that. You should still check, because they may not mean what they wrote. We live in an age where official corporate press releases and websites are full of basic errors in spelling and grammar, so they might mean that 30 is inclusive.

15. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

Yes I will check...though its the original Embassy page, so... but still..just to be sure.
    If my plans get destroyed I guess I have to think of an alternative...

TerokNor

16. SaturnVengeance

SaturnVengeance Lieutenant

This thread is weird.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Good contribution.

18. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

*shrug* If you think so.
    I hold it the way, if I have a question I ask and if some nice people try to answer my question I am grateful for that. Don´t find that weird.

TerokNor

19. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

Oooohhhh, I just found this in the explanations of the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

"...erlaubt deutschen Staatsbürgern, die zwischen 18 und 30 Jahre alt sind, d.h. ihren 31. Geburtstag noch nicht überschritten haben, die Einreise nach Neuseeland..."
    (...between 18 and 30, which means who do not have had their 31th birthday yet... )

I will sleep reliefed this night. :)

TerokNor

P.S. Has one of you ever heard of the around the world tickets?
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Round_the_world_flights
    A friend just pointed it out to me. Cool. Certainly must put that on my already quite long to do list. :D

20. RJDiogenes

Good news. :bolian: