STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless there are one or more unexpected breakout hits for the rest of the summer that gross more than $225 million domestic, Star Trek Into Darkness looks to end up as the sixth highest grossing summer release in the domestic market behind Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, Man of Steel, Monsters University, and Fast & Furious 6. Its worldwide ranking will be at least one rung lower and possibly a few rungs lower depending on how things shake out.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I hate to spoil your meal of locusts and wild honey, out there crying in the wilderness—really, I do—but I'd appreciate it if you didn't keep trying to make this out to be a contest of you against everyone. Present a solid argument, however, and I'm pretty sure that argument will get all the respect it's due.

That the Earth is round is provable, and thus a fact. What you're bringing are not facts, and repeated earnest declarations that your claims are facts renders them no more factual than they were to begin with. At best, you've got details, and I don't think your interpretation of them is necessarily the correct one.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

No just you and the bubble you are living in. No one is trying to say it was a sucess on the level of Skyfall, TDKR, Iron Man 3 etc but the film had made a good profit broken franchise records and by the time all non box office $$$ are taken into like DVD/Blu Ray STID will have made Paramount a lot of money.

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I thought the movie was f***ing stupid, but there's no doubt it was a success. It's going to continue to rake in the dough from bluray and DVD sales.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just like I said in the Rise of the Federation book thread where I was one of the few that didn't like it: you can't win them all. :techman:

6. datagal

datagal Admiral Admiral

I know.
    I bought that issue and only thing that pop in my mind was......Where's Fargo?

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Think it might have made more if Khan had been revealed right from the start in the trailers? I appreciate they were going for the surprise but would they have been able to generate more buzz?

8. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I know some people will claim anything just to hate this movie. But to call Entertainment Weekly the most trusted news source of entertainment news? That takes the cellular peptide cake with mint frosting!

9. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

Success or failure seems to be in the eye of the beholder. Just as a girl can seem beautiful to some and unattractive to others. If your standards were for STID to set all kinds of records and compete with many of the heavy hitting big budget blockbusters then it was a dissapointment. If you simply wanted STID to be commercially viable and make a profit to justify a sequel then the results were extremely satisfying.

I mean hey, you can argue whether the grass is green or every color but green . . . it only affects your perception of the object. It doesn't change the actual grass.

10. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll also be behind "Oz, The Great and Powerful" which made $234 million domestic and $491 worldwide.

All and all, a good take for STID. But let's be honest, isn't there something at bit unsatisfying about the domestic numbers? In April, I'd have bet a week's salary the movie would've at least matched the domestic total from ST09.

Still, the take of the two movies show a return to relevance for the franchise, and that's probably good enough. At this date, assuming the third movie is as well-received as the first two were, put my prediction for the domestic box office take of the third movie at $262 million. (Which will mean adjusting for inflation, people will point out the movie didn't really bring in as much as ST09. There always has to be a hitch in things.)

11. BillJ

Sure there is. I wanted Star Trek Into Darkness to do a billion-dollars and finally wipe away the stigma of being a Trek fan.

But it didn't happen. It doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed the movie immensely and like I said before, if this is the final movie then we went out on top. A movie that was a critical-success and a moderate box-office success.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I expected it to squeak past $450M, and likely wouldn't make $500M. So, in actuality, it's doing a little better than I expected, since it seems it will more than squeak by $450M

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I was talking about summer releases, which doesn't include Oz: The Great and Powerful, which was a spring release.

14. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, there is.
    None of that money went in my bank account. :(

15. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yes. Once you change the numbers, it doesn't look as good.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Comparing success by the numbers of tickets sold (which is essentially what you do when you adjust for ticket price inflation) is fair.

17. BillJ

No it's not. We have no idea of the financing or merchandising or tax rebates that go into the numbers of either film. For all we know, Into Darkness could be more financially successful than the original film even with less tickets sold and a higher budget.

The only people who know how financially successful or unsuccessful Into Darkness is, with certainty, are the folks at Paramount and Bad Robot.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, it's made enough to be profitable enough for them to be interested in making more movies.

None of the money is going into our bank accounts (As SalvorHardin so succintly points out), so, how much over "enough to justify a sequel" doesn't really matter unless you rate your entertainment choices by popularity of the General Masses.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Sucess in business isn't all about volume. It's about a good return on investment. Making a large number of sales at low prices isn't inherently better or more successful than making fewer sales at high prices. It depends on the ROI.

STID is a decent-sized hit, a big enough hit to warrant a sequel. Had it sold the same number of tickets as Star Trek it would be a much bigger hit domestically given the higher ticket prices, especially the 3D premium, but it's done well enough to be marked down as a success nevertheless.

20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Fair enough.

:lol:

It's like rooting for a professional sports team. All perspective is lost. Say your favorite baseball team wins the World Series. A lot was at stake for them. The players get about $350,000 each in winning shares and rings worth several thousand dollars each. We fans, who are as emotionally attached to the team as anyone, have nothing at stake other than getting the privilege of buying overpriced t-shirts and caps that say "World Series Champions" on them.