Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Gotta stay out of this thread til after BOBW. I want to see trailer on the big screen first!

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That trailer sure was goofy.

The Worf/Lwaxana bit followed by the Enterprise firing? Cute.

The visual effects look great (despite it being the fugly 4-footer). Modern Video pulled it off. They have my blessing for season 6. ;)

3. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, Modern Video is alright in my book. They're pretty close to CBS-D quality, with a few iffy shots (the Enterprise turning away from the purple rift, the sparks from Guinan's gun, and the shot at 1:52 - from Clues IIRC). I wish they'd been contracted for S2.

4. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Yeah it looks good. I guess one thing to keep in mind is that there is still a bit of time for some of the shots to change like they did with the season 3 trailer. Miles ahead of season 2 though.

5. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Thread stuck. Ultimately, there will be seven of these babies at the top of the forum. Might get a tad crowded up there.

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Perhaps merge Seasons 1 and 2 when Season 5 rolls around? Then add in 3 as 6 comes out etc.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Please god NO! The last thing anyone wants is one big clump full of several seasons of posts! Talk about one big unreadable mess! :eek:

8. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

It's probably safe to unstick S1 and S2 by now.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Personally I wouldn't mind having all 7 seasons up there for a while. It's been so long since I've been this excited about TNG, or Star Trek in general.

However, having the latest two seasons stickied is probably enough if it gets too crowded.

10. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I'm predicting The Wounded or The Drumhead will make the cut, probably along with Redemption.

Oh and you didn't just mention "The Loss" did you?!?!

:D

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like its Redemption.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  11. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Honestly, this is the meat and potatoes of TNG now. I'd leave them all up for the foreseeable future. We can all scroll down but it's worth it so they're easy to find. Even the older ones.

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did mention The Loss, and there was one reason for that. I'm looking forward to how the FX will look on the Cosmic String. It's one of the more underrated shots in the season and if they wanted to feature visual effects, you can't get much better than the Cosmic String shot.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The Redemption footage from the trailer looks amazing!! It's a good pick for the theater event!!

14. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

Whoever cut the trailer together has obviously been watching a little too much TNG Recut on YouTube!

Season 4 looks great! I can't wait til it's out!

15. LogicDeLuxe

LogicDeLuxe Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am pretty sure. I bought the NTSC DVDs in order to do my own norm conversion since the PAL DVDs have it done with very poor scaling rendering the quality even worse than it already is (was, thanks to Blu-Ray). I prefer a PAL speed up over NTSC 3:2 pullup anytime, as I find the pitch shift far less distracting that the judder.
    Of course, I watched it in 24p. I guess, people who don't notice the issue don't have 24p displays and see judder all the time. Maybe that would hide the issue with this scene. Those in charge for the editing do watch on 24p displays, don't they?

And since I did a norm conversion of the entire show for private use, there was no way around noticing certain oddities like "Identity Crisis" has 30fps throughout major parts of the episode.
    Btw., the editing job of TNG is still rather consistent. The editing in LEXX is far more crazy for instance.

16. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

I am somewhat sceptical about the trailer. It seems that all the good looking space FX are shots from episodes remastered by CBSD i.e. BOBW and Redemption. In the shots of the other episodes the use of shadow and lighting as well as the blending into the scenery are much less impressive. The Enterprise looks rather plastic and toy-like in the Modern Video scenes. Might not be as bad as HTV but it's still clearly not as good as CBSD. I truly hope this is a work in progress but at this late point I doubt it.

17. jimbotron

That's not the remastering, that's the nature of the 4-footer. Season 4 gets away from much of the stock footage of the 6-footer. It inherently looks plastic and toy-like. That model only looks good from overhead, and when in darkness. Then it was not shot very well, because it was meant for SDTV. When the lighting is bright, the ship loses that sense of scale. The initial ILM work was feature quality, but later work by Image G was meant for TV, and wasn't meant to hold up in HD. No remastering in the world can fix all of that.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  18. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

I disagree, you can do a lot by sensible use of shadowing and lighting. CBSD shows this off very clearly in the 4-footer shots from Redemption. Outstanding stuff. In the Modern Video scenes on the other hand the Enterprise looks bland and overexposed. Space is dark. Somehow this is lost on everyone but CBSD.

19. jimbotron

It all depends on the situation.

I'll take Redemption out of the equation since CBS-D worked on that.

00:00: Modern Video - the Enterprise looks properly lit
    00:09: CBS-D
    00:19: CBS-D
    00:30: Modern Video - kinda ugly, but that's inherent to the footage, as FrontierTrek mentioned
    01:23: CBS-D
    01:40: Modern Video - looks great
    01:47: Modern Video - kinda bright, but the lighting is darker and more realistic than the original: http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s4/4x10/theloss277.jpg
    01:53: Modern Video - lighting is good, the shine is intentional
    02:04: Modern Video - heavily backlit, but it's not overly bright
    02:07: Modern Video - looks good

True, you can see what's CBS-D and what's MV, but the difference is negligible, IMO. Definitely not an HTV hackjob. We'll know for sure when we see their take on the ILM stock footage.

20. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Nice rundown of who did what in the trailer jimbotron

I think 1:47 looks true to the original, even in the original you see it kind of looks like the Enterprise stands out from the cosmic string, like you can clearly tell the Enterprise is at a different z-index than the string is.

But I do agree it seems CBS-D puts in 110% and puts some extra love into their scenes, instead of being 100% recreations of how it looked in SD.