Breaking News: THE CLONE WARS Has Been Cancelled

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cooleddie74, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ultimate Spider-Man isn't *bad* but it's pretty superfluous and goofy. I thought SSPM was the closest to the comics, and I really loved the 90s toon back in the day.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

While I don't know about Wolverine&The X-Men, but with Spectacular Spiderman according to Greg Weisman Disney and Marvel by extension only own the animation rights to Spider-Man, everything else you need to make more episodes still belong to Sony so unless Sony gets paid to do it they can't do any more episodes of Spectacular Spiderman

Which is different from Clone Wars as Disney bought the studio that makes it not just the rights to Star Wars.

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Say, centered around Rogue Squadron... :cool:

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 5th of Never, amirite, amirite? :)

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Bring back the adventures of C3PO and R2D2

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I wouldn't mind that too much. Droids from the 1980's doesn't hold up terribly well after more than a quarter-century and all the EU that's been established since about the time period between Episodes III and IV.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they'll keep any of the behind the scenes people from Clone Wars around for the new series?

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You just knew something like this was going to happen as soon as Bob Iger was involved.

All Bob Iger does is cancel shows that people enjoy.

Other than that he's pretty much useless.

10. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

If that were true, Phineas and Ferb wouldn't have made it past its' first season.

I don't agree with a lot of what Iger's done either, but the fact is Disney was going down in flames when he took over from Michael Eisner in 2005. He's done a helluva lot since then to correct Eisner's mistakes and put that company back on solid ground. Pixar and Marvel have been very good to Disney, and vice versa (and before you start, Cars 2 was John Lasseter's idea, not Iger's).

Clone Wars only had one more season left in it anyway, and we're getting that (in one form or another). And nobody really wanted to see Detours. I can't really call this a disaster.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Some people are just angry that Lucas sold SW to Disney in the first place.

12. cooleddie74

I'm just trying to keep as open a mind as possible about the Disney takeover. After all, Marvel and its associated films and other multimedia projects have flourished under the Disney umbrella and very few of us would call The Avengers any sort of celluloid disaster.

Disney brings factors to the table that both inspire and concern me. They could knock the new Sequel Trilogy clean out of the ball park and make them the best SW films in more than thirty years, then again they might not. Point is: the buyout just recently happened and the smoke hasn't settled yet. It's a little premature to hit the Red Alert button and predict disaster for the SW franchise when a lot of us are still getting used to saying "Disney now owns Lucasfilm."

I'm profoundly disappointed about the decision to cancel The Clone Wars but for all we know the end of the show might have been in the works before Lucas sold the company. The ratings have been declining for a long time now, the magic 100-episode threshold has been passed and there are the rumors that have circulated for some time now that Season Five might be the last.

I'm just going to take a wait-and-see attitude. It's out of our hands anyways.

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Well about 100 episodes was what they planned and they've passed that with more to come. What we get next will wrap up the series which seems good to me. I don't think they could fit that many more adventures into a 3 year gap and season 5 wasn't the best, it seemed to be milkin it a bit too much.

I hope they do the live action set between the prequel and original. I think anything set after the original trilogy would get in the way of 7,8,9. Then again the live action series might get in the way of the standalone movies.
    Too much star wars is the problem now.

14. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although it seems ratings were considered to be irrelevant, as to whether the show would reach 100 episodes or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_(2008_TV_series)

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

One day they'll figure out that moving around a show's time slot can have consequences.

16. cooleddie74

9:30 on Saturday morning was just a thuddingly dumb decision and I don't know anybody who agreed with the time slot change. Trying to use the show to be the anchor of and boost ratings for the channel's Saturday morning schedule didn't make sense when they knew good and well a lot of people who regularly watched the series wouldn't be able to be in front of their TVs that early and enjoy it.

What did they expect? 9:30 on a Saturday morning isn't exactly the Seinfeld slot for any television show, I don't care what it is.

17. gturner

gturner Admiral

Are all the people who protested for an end to the Iraq War and the Afghanistan War going to now turn around and protest against the ending of the Clone War? I just don't see it, and Lucas should be prosecuted for starting the war in the first place.

18. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Disney confirms that Dave Filoni is still a part of the team. It makes sense that if you wanted to continue doing animated Star Wars, your going to want to keep the guy who knows how to do it best. But it's still good to hear confirmation.

Disney Channels Worldwide boss Gary Marsh also said the company is “working closely with LucasFilm, Kathleen Kennedy and director Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) to explore new Star Wars content for our platforms,” to be detailed later this year.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome news. As much as I never cared for the setting or characters in TCW, it's hard to deny what a great job the creative team did with the show, and it'd be a shame if Lucasfilm didn't continue to use them.

20. cooleddie74

Agreed. Except for the not liking stories set during the Clone Wars bit. It's not my favorite era of Star Wars history by a stretch but it was ripe for a lot of deep exploration as very little had ever been depicted before five years ago.

Filoni and his team have done a gold medal job of producing some very mature and thoughtful stories and they're probably better equipped to make SW animation than anybody else is. I'm looking forward to hearing about any future projects.