Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Holy crap, I want that. I would kill people just to have that. Does the cord retract into the base so that you can use it as a decoration?

2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pffft, rounding nether portals is only for those that are too miserly with their obsidian to do them properly, but since nether portals are bugged and usually require you to tear down several magically created nether portals until they're placed right, you often end up with surplus obsidian. So there's no reason not to build them properly. :borg:

I felt the same way for a time, partly in response to this image:

[​IMG]

For the first month, I lived in a tiny two-room keep, one room on top of the other, and kept most of my materials underground in natural caves that were connected through tunnels. Other than striping all the soil off a nearby island and transplanting it to the area near my keep (which I had, stupidly, built on a beach), I didn't interfere with the landscape. I didn't even fill in craters left by creepers.

Later, I doubled the size of my keep. Later still, I tripled that. Then I built the walls to protect myself, and put cobblestone inside to stop animals spawning. Then I built paths connecting my various bases. It was at this point that I realised I had abandoned my environmental protection policy and so I started flattening random areas because nature is now my bitch.

Screw you, creepers. I don't care if I'm the real monster because I've got a diamond sword and I will cut you up! :evil:

They always dropped items for me, I was constantly finding feathers, arrows and bones in the morning. Perhaps your game was bugged? :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, I've never had problems finding morning drops from skellies and zombies. I don't think that's a new feature.

4. TheGodBen

I had my first wolf encounter. I was rerouting a path near by fortress to keep it off the beach when I heard a bark, looked up and there was a wolf. It then proceeded to slaughter an innocent sheep. I found that humorous. That night, I went up to the top of my tower to survey the work I had done when I saw some sheep randomly getting damaged and dying. Invisible wolves! :eek:

The next day, I went out to complete the task and saw a wolf and some bones nearby that were dropped by a skeleton, so I picked them up and fed them to her, now she's my pet. I've named her Laika. :)

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool! Only seen wolves once when I was down a hole and heard barking and baa'ing. But I didn't have any bones with me. :(

But I'm glad I'm not the only environmentalist who plays. I tend to build my structures into the landscape, replant extra trees, fill in holes, kill only the bare minimum of animals, etc. I think almost all of my shelters have been modified caves or holes in cliff faces. Current home is up in the trees on top of a mountain.

And yeah, like the others have said, if you go outside in the morning you can usually find tons of bones, feathers, and arrows just lying around the landscape.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm on a wolf-quest right now. One problem is that I only have one bone with me, so I'm guessing I have to go skeleton-hunting too.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha yeah, I dig into mountains to make shelter too. It's the only way I've done it so far.

8. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

Wolves are so fun. I love having a pack attack cows, skeles and spiders.....
    The april fool's joke was fun to see again. :)

As for environmentalism, my new favourite house is inside a massive tree that I built and planted many many trees around. I'm still working on that one though...

9. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know what today's date is, right? ;)

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It's still cool enough they should really make it.

11. Itisnotlogical

... Oh God DAMMIT!!!!!!!!

I will MURDER people until they make one of those!!!

And in response to the discussion about house design above: I don't build in to the sides of hills to preserve the virtual environment, I do it to save time on gathering blocks. The biggest portion of glass I've used so far is a puny 2x3 window in the swimming pool of my first house, which I eventually abandoned, along with all my door-traps.

EDIT: Here's a pic of my new house, along with my half-demolished old one nearby for comparison. I'm either going to burn the old one down or use it for storage... Anyways I was inspired to build my cobblestone fort after some thought about a lava wall, and thought about covering the entire exterior of my house with lava. But then I realized that I don't have enough lava source blocks, so I just made it into a bomb shelter: every wall is at least two blocks thick, including the ceiling, and I plan to add dirt so it'll blend in with the environment. Creepers aren't going to have anything on my house :lol:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  12. TheGodBen

Over the past few days, I have been working on a tunnel connecting my main fortress with my upgraded monster trap facility and ever since I tamed that wolf this afternoon she has been following me into the tunnels and making the work feel less lonely. This evening, I had just completed the tunnel and was taking the inaugural walk through it when my game crashed to the black screen of death and I had to reload. When I went back, not only had the tunnel reverted to an incomplete state, but my wolf was gone. :( It's one thing to lose her to my own stupidity, it's another thing to lose her because of a stupid glitch I've been experiencing since the new save format was implemented.

So I went back to work on the tunnel, which was about 10 minutes away from completion, and when I made the breakthrough and connected the two tunnels, there's my wolf sitting on the other side waiting for me. :D Before the crash, I had been working on the tunnel from the other side and while doing that I must have told her to sit so she wouldn't annoy me, and when I was forced to reload the game she must have reloaded in that position. That sure was a relief.

13. Itisnotlogical

^^

That's cute. :D I haven't found any wolves yet and I've traveled a large distance from my house (about 300 blocks, guesstimating by how far away I placed waypoint torches). Do wolves even spawn on worlds that were generated in 1.3?

14. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally found some wolves. There's a simple beauty in delivering a single karate chop to a cow or a pig and watching a pack of dogs descend upon it.

Does anyone know if hostile mobs will attack a wolf that's been ordered to sit? Also, do tamed wolves turn hostile if you accidentally attack one? I'm not too eager to try either scenario out.

15. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i've a question regarding ore blocks. I havent found any yet well except coal anyway and i was wondering do i need to deep very deep down to find them?.
    got an idea what they look like just havent seen any yet

16. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ore blocks all look the same, except that the 'spots' are different colors.

black spots = coal
    tan spots = iron
    yellow spots = gold
    etc...

Coal and iron can be found pretty close to sea level. Coal can be found at any height I believe, but iron won't be high up in the mountains. The remaining ores are all very deep. Think Mines of Moria deep. Basically, carve yourself out a 5 by 5 or so shaft, and start heading down and down and down...

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Just don't dig straight down. Knocking out the block you're standing on could mean a nasty fall into a dark cave full of monsters, or worse, a pool of lava. Also, make sure you lay down ladders and torches as you go so you can quickly get yourself out of the pit and have sufficient light so that mobs don't spawn in the shaft. A good defence against breaking through into an infested cave is to have a skylight at the top of the shaft along with glass floors. It offers great lighting during the day and has the added bonus of setting skeletons and zombies on fire.

18. TheGodBen

Alternatively, if you're looking for some adventure, you can explore caves and try to find one that goes deep enough. This method is horribly inefficient; in the time it took me to find 8 diamonds doing this, I found 40 by doing branch mining. Branch mining is also much safer as you place torches while creating tunnels, thus no monsters should spawn.

They should do as they're spawning on my world and I started that back in September. The only thing not available in my world is lapis lazuli ore, but that should be generated if I explore new regions.

I'm actually very lucky as wolves are constantly spawning outside my main base, so the game must have classed that region as a forest biome with the halloween update even though I had removed all trees from the area by then.

19. Itisnotlogical

Caves, which you might stumble upon in 2x1 straight-down shaft mining, are also a source of a very important resource if you plan on eventually going to the Nether: Lava source blocks, a resource which (when combined with Water) creates obsidian, which you can then use to make a Nether portal. And I'm still very mad that the Nether USB drive was only an April Fool's joke. :klingon:

20. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i found a cave that has a waterfall/stream and a lava fall if it dig a trench from the water to the lava that will give me obsidian?

oh i used my old house which was in a hill side until a creeper popped in to say hi now it's a openish mine.
    even found six diamonds in there so far though that was a long way down

built a new home on a island might do a covered tunnel from there to my mine