Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Yminale, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't say that you'd said that, for once we actually agree on something.

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I'm more offended by his begging for people to see his movie than his idiotic comments. He has spent his career and likely whole life attacking a minority, now he's crying because there is some blowback. Like a child with a toy gun crying because after an afternoon of shooting at people got hit himself.

I said that I do tolerate what he says and would defend his right to say them. Tolerance isn't seeing a movie because you can't stand the author's views. Tolerance is allowing him to say it despite the fact that they're disgusting because he has a right to. It should be a simple enough concept for anyone.

I don't want to see the movie purely because I have no interest in it. I doesn't appeal to me. If there are good reviews I might check it out, but will most likely wait for Netflix. It actually has little to do with the author.

You certainly seem to get upset at the idea though.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just clarifying an early comment that may have been misunderstood. It was in my warning about the boycott.

I really would dread seeing a bunch of protesters outside of movie theaters calling people homophobes and bigots as they are taking their children to see this movie. I hope the people who do boycott it do so in an appropriate and respectful manner.

4. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It's pretty simple: I won't buy a ticket. People walking up to a theater ticket window/kiosk have already made their decision. Not only would it be awkward, but picketing would also be a monumental waste of time. Better to use the internet to raise awareness before hand - something Card himself has done with his preposterous plea for "tolerance."

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

But there's no reason to worry about that happening.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Let me get this straight, you feel bigotry should be tolerated? How far should this tolerance go?

So, liberals who have read the book and wish to boycott the film because of things Card has said are okay? Because its his views on Homosexuality that's being protested, not the book.

Where did you borrow "making a virtue of being offended" from? It's already getting tired.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm just wonder why folks you claim to value personal freedom and don't want government in their lives are all for legislating what goes on in the bedroom?

8. DalekJim

Shit like this has happened already. People are being branded as supporters of homophobia for praising Card's writing or saying they'll pay to see the movie. It's putting a knee-jerk emotional reaction over intellectual thought.

People have the right not to go watch Ender's Game, They do not have the right to never be offended, and their desire not to be upset should not affect other people's freedoms and happiness. Aggressive political correctness has only served to make liberals more sensitive when they do see material offensive to them. If people don't want to see Ender's Game because it'll upset them so much being reminded of the author's views regarding marital legislation, then that is fine. Weird, but fine. If they don't want Orson Scott Card to receive their money because of his opinions, then that is also fine.

But dismissing the book itself as being homophobic is infuriating to me.

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

My not giving him some of my hard earned money, doesn't stop him from bashing anybody he likes.

10. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

There's a really good other reason not to support either the book or the movie; the fact that it supports child soldiering indirectly by having Ender Wiggin and his pals be fighting a war. Why can't the Earth Government or whatever it's called just have a planetary draft, and get the troops it needs to fight the war that way? Why involve children?

11. Awesome Possum

Are people actually go to picket the movie? Because I thought that some people just don't want to see it.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure he has an opinion, but Orson also sits on the board and donates money to a multimillion dollar fund/lobby group that attempts to control/shape legal measures against homosexuality for which he is a public spokesperson of.

He's the face of "I fuck my wife".

It's all really bush league, but Card is putting a little too much effort in for my liking, but really no more than your average priest in a pulpit screaming about the wages of sin.

13. BillJ

Yet you have no problem constantly misinterpreting what other posters write.

14. BillJ

I haven't heard of anyone planning a picket, but it's still early. I'll just vote with my wallet what I think of Card.

15. DalekJim

I agree with that, it's what annoys me about him the most. The fact he doesn't want gays to marry has never phased me, that's a fairly standard viewpoint for many people. It's the fact he's devoted an obsessive amount of time and money in to his anti-gay campaign that weirds me out. I have no idea what his deal is.

16. Awesome Possum

We're the monsters here, all for refusing to give our money to an innocent bigot who only wants to keep gay people from having rights. We should be ashamed of ourselves for not fulling endorsing his absurd beliefs.

17. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

just because something is depicted in a novel doesn't mean that the author is supporting it. Actually, if you want to look into an interesting argument over interpretation of the book check out the "is Ender supposed to be a positive depiction of Hitler?" affair. (I think the answer is pretty clearly no)

18. DalekJim

I have no idea how this works as a comeback or reply to what I just said. Total non-sequitur.

19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

In some countries (Canada) this would be considered hate-speech. It is illegal. You cannot slur people just because of who they are. It is not illegal to criticize somebody for their opinions, however.

I believe that getting emotional and using emotionally charged arguments does nothing to further one's agenda and only alienates those who already disagree with your argument. As DalekJim mentioned, there are already people slurring others just because of a disagreement about the quality of Ender's Game itself or wanting to see the film. This was where my (admittedly exaggerated) comparison with the Westboro Baptist's came from.

Not going to this movie is a fine choice--getting so emotionally riled up (as some people on this board are) that you need to shout insults at people is unnecessary.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yup.