Teen Titans Go!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Apr 27, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, did anyone else try this? I only lasted about 5 minutes before I moved on. The humor just wasn't working for me. But I haven't cared most of the "funny" DC Nation shorts either.

2. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like to see it but I don't get cable. (Or any channels, actually.) I was a pretty big fan of the Teen Titan's show from the early 2000's, which I understand this is based off of. Is there no serious character development or action in this one at all, then?

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's action and character interplay, but in a comedic context. Basically it's like the most comical parts of the old show without the more serious parts. The first segment had some big action sequences but for a comical reason (and in a much more cartoony mode than in the old show), and the second had a supervillain subplot going on in the background while the characters were preoccupied with their personal/relationship issues.

I liked the first segment, which made me laugh a number of times. The second segment (which, interestingly, was written by Batman Beyond's lead actor Will Friedle) was more weird and offbeat and didn't appeal to my sense of humor. I suspect that, like the original show, it's going to be a mixed bag.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tried to give it a fair shot but it just reminds me of many cartoon properties, something like Johnny Test or Gumball, and there's plenty of those other properties to render this superfluous. I don't think there's anything that plays to the unique strengths of being a superhero property. If you were watching Green Lantern or Young Justice before and not Johnny Test or Gumball, I'm not sure why you'd watch this.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went from this to Adventure Time, and I'm sorry but I really thought this paled in comparison.

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I tried to like this, but I couldn't. This is what we lost Young Justice for? It's just a pale imitation of the old Teen Titans cartoon, without any of what made that show good. Not even jokes about Raven being a closet Brony could save it for me.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I very much doubt it, because it was in production well before YJ was cancelled. It takes a very long time to make an animated show, after all.

Is it as good as past DC animated shows? No. But is it a mildly entertaining way to pass the time? Maybe. One episode and two stories in, I'm finding it about 50-50. Might be worth checking out occasionally.

I don't think you can use "Brony" for girls (it's "bro" + "pony"). Anyway, I got a mild chuckle out of the in-joke of a Tara Strong character liking a pastiche of a show starring Tara Strong. (And I think she was voicing one of the Pony pastiche characters too.)

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It may have been in production before, but it's essentially the replacement, so it stings.

Brony is acceptable for use to refer to both male and female fans. Though sometimes, Pegasister is used instead. I chose Brony because it's the more recognizable term outside of the fandom.