So sad...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by MarsWeeps, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I just finished watching all 7 seasons of DS9 via streaming Netflix. When the series first came out, I only saw the first 4 seasons or so. Watching each episode without waiting weeks in between gave me a whole new appreciation for the series.

The last scenes were heartbreaking...seeing everyone go through all the flashbacks, it feels like saying goodbye to old friends I'll never see again.

So sad to know there will never be a movie or follow up. I suppose there are some novels out there but it just won't feel the same. :wah:

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a person who loves DS9, I say read the novels!!

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. I'd suggest starting off with Avatar by S.D. Perry... practically picks up write where What You Leave Behind leaves off, and the Relaunch novels tell a powerful story.

The core of the crew, Kira, Bashir, Nog are still there and of course it wouldn't be DS9 without a certain scheming Ferengi. The rest of the cast will be filled out by both new faces and some familar ones from the Trekverse. And just because people like O'brien and Odo left doesn't mean they're not guest stars still. :)

Avatar tells a powerful story basically of a Prophecy of Doom and Death revolving around the birth of the Emissary's second child, which also ties in with Jake and the rest of the crew coming to terms with Sisko's departure, and setting the stage for the continuing novels.

The TNG crew and the Enterprise-E are also in the novel, but really their role is secondary and it's a DS9 centered story. I'd actually call their appearance a glorified cameo.

4. MarsWeeps

Now this is just bizarre! Amazon does not have Avatar book 1 of 2 in Kindle version but it does have book 2 of 2 in Kindle version!

What genius is responsible for that! :wtf:

5. R. Star

Was about to say...

Looked myself, and it looks like they do to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Book-O...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348426037&sr=1-2

6. MarsWeeps

7. MarsWeeps

Just to add...I was disappointed that they didn't include Jadzia in any of the flashbacks. She was there for 6 seasons but not one shot of her.

I'm guessing that maybe there was some type of contractual conflict with Terry Farrell...like maybe they would've had to pay her if they included Jadzia in any of the shots. :confused:

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Farrell or her people were irked that her voice had been used earlier in the season without the proper hoops being jumped through, or something like that, so they didn't allow flashbacks of her. At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

You might check Memory Alpha.

9. MarsWeeps

I've read interviews where she said that she didn't "quit" DS9, her contract was only for 6 seasons. I heard rumors of money issues being the reason she didn't renew for another year.

Which brings up another question...did the other actors originally sign up for 7 years and if so, why was her contract only for 6?

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure about that. It could be that the actors signed for 6 and Farrell was the only one who made a stink about renewing.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Fans sometimes forget that to the performers Star Trek is just a professional acting job. At the end of her contract Farrell had a chance to make a lateral move over to a comedy series starring Ted Danson and have a better billing position with higher pay. To turn that down for a single additional year on DS9 would have made no sense career wise. She did four years on Becker, while many of her fellow actors from DS9 worked only occasional.

Can you really fault her decision?

:)

12. R. Star

^

Can't fault that, but I do kinda think it was petty for her and her agent to raise a stink over a few sound clips of her character being used and forcing the absence of her character from that final montage.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least the first 4 or so of the DS9 relaunch does feel the same. As in, OMG it feels like the eighth season. I think it's the best Treklit there is. It starts directly after What you Leave Behind.

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Firstly, we all know that DS9 is awesome :bolian:

Secondly, the flashback sequences are done really well. It reminds you of all the greatness they accomplished over seven years, and that this was a series that was definately character-based and developed them all into full realised and well put together (writing, acting, etc) characters. One of my favourite scenes from all of DS9, is when Kira steps up to Jake, puts her hand on his shoulder and they look out the viewport. No words needed to say so much (getting misty-eyed at the thought of it).

Thirdly, it is a shame Jadzia doesn't feature, as she had done so much (starting with finding the Wormhole). But I kind of like that it was just Ezri, as it shows how she has become more sure of herself, of who she is without relying on the past lives of others.

Fourthly, the relaunch books for DS9 are great. The characters are well written and act just as they would in the series, the combination of old and new helps give a new dynamic without taking any focus away from Kira, Bashir, Dax, Nog and Quark. Getting to see Kira in command is also a huge thrill as you know she would be brilliant as Station Commander. Another huge plus is the development of the Andorians, I love the four sex idea, it helps to make them truely alien. I have to admit though, that my reading of the series stalled at the Worlds of DS9, for some reason I haven't been able to get into them as much as the others, but need to try again.

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course if the DS9 producers had just sought her permission in the first instance when the end came her camp might have been more flexible with the price they are asking. If you cheat someone, or they feel you've cheated them, you can't be surprised if they are not all that sympathetic to your cries of "poor".

If DS9 gets remastered I hope that with water under the bridge that they'll be able to add Jadzia to that final montage.

16. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain