Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ZeNd, Jan 21, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Rom had a lot of good moments and a lot of very annoying moments.

Rom's best moments were when he was rebelling against Quark and helping Starfleet. His worst moments were when he was screaming.

2. Mirror_Barclay

Mirror_Barclay Commander Red Shirt

Ezri is my favourite character, so I definitely don't agree on 'worst.' There are a range of options for that.

I would have really liked them to change Daxes halfway through the show. More Ezri for me. Less rush to introduce her in S7 for others. Win-win. :)

Jadzia suffered from inconsistent writing; rather than contain the serenity and wisdom of age at the same time as youthful enthusiasm, she switched between. And then she turned into a spotted Klingon.

Ezri was far better written for exploring what it means to be a joined Trill, a species far more interesting - and far less already done - than Klingons.

Lous likes this.
  3. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

FanST and Lous like this.
  4. bptrav

bptrav Ensign Newbie

I don't necessarily think she was a bad character, but they definitely focused on her way too much for the final season of the show. After the first couple episodes of the season, the next dozen or more episodes didn't move the Dominion/war plot-line forward at all so it just kind of felt like we were left hanging.

The final season also didn't have as much Garek, and he is probably my favorite character on DS9 (not necessarily the nicest character but definitely the most intriguing)

FanST likes this.
  5. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Ezri has grown on me over the years but I admit to not liking her at all at first. Of all the DS9 characters, replacing Jadzia was the "easiest" for the writers, you just continue on with a new body.

I think its ironic that Farrell left because she didnt feel her character had much to do but then Ezri gets a ton of screen time in season 7.

FanST likes this.
  6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Rom was supposed to be annoying.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZlBETlT1yo[/yt]

But I absolutely love this scene. So random. I was in tears the first time I saw it. Arr, DS9, what a great show.

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the writers overdid the getting to know Ezri thing in her one season.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, she really derailed the tense storyline of season 7... what exactly did she bring to the table anyways beyond being a consolation love interest for Bashir?

9. wingsabre

wingsabre Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't love the character, but warmed up to her towards the end. It wasn't ideal how her character was created. In terms of Sisko warming up to her, I think it was perfectly realistic that he did so so fast. When Jadzia first came aboard the station, she had recently been joined, and he warmed up to her fairly fast. She even warned him that not all relationships from a former host survive a transfer. This was Sisko's 3rd Dax, and 2nd time he had to adjust to a permanent change.

As for Neelix, I still dislike Neelix. Not that fond of Joe (The Doctor) either. Don't think she's that bad compared to Neelix.

10. wingsabre

wingsabre Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The last season had a lot of Garek, especially the final 7 episodes.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I liked Ezri. She did a good job playing a fish out of water and grew into her character well. Enjoy her continuation in the novelverse as well.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Ezri was just too darn cute. One time I had just bought one of those Star Trek Magazines and Ezri was on the cover. A friend saw it, and his first words were "She's cute!"

Ezri was so cute, you just wanted to pick her up and take her home and-- well, she was cute.

Lous likes this.
  13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The thing about Jadzia is, she was a great idea for a character, but how do you develop somebody who has lived eight lifetimes already?

I liked what they did with her in Dax, but there's only so many times you can draw from the metaphysical 'who is she really' well. They should have committed to making her a comedy-oriented character.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The writers never knew what to do with the Jadzia character. They should have just written her as an old mentor type of character from the start.

We also got Kes from a race that only lived a short 7 years, but the writers on THAT show didn't know what to do with that character either.

15. Bad Thoughts

In the case of both Jadzia Dax and Kes, it seems the producers wanted characters that were wise but young, possessing levels of experience far beyond their years. I think Kes was better: the shortened lifespan suggested reaching a level of maturity much sooner without giving her lots of knowledge. She had more social intelligence than other members of the crew, particularly Paris and Kim. Jadzia's level of confidence was not only difficult to believe, it was also difficult to portray. Terry Farrell admits that she needed Avery Brooks help because she could not portray the level of gravitas the part required.

For what it's worth, I think the writers did a better job with Ezri Dax than Jadzia. The kinds of episodes that Ezri got would have been great in the first season. However, the pacing and structure of the last season didn't allow for such introductory explorations of character. Nonetheless, the show needed another female character, and unless they intended to elevate a recurring character to the regular cast/crew (Cassidy Yates? Leeta?), they would need to write a new character, whose presence would be awkward in comparison with the rest.

16. R. Star

She was cute. I wouldn't presume to deny that. My main objection to Ezri was... what exactly did she bring to the table? Sure she helped Sisko get over his depression, and was a love interest for Bashir. Beyond that it just felt they rammed her down our throats, often distracting from the intense arcs of season 7, for no apparent reason except to give her tons of screen time as if to compensate for her not being around the first six seasons. Really you could've accomplished the same with a guest star that appeared for a few episodes.

17. Bad Thoughts

She played centerfield.

I don't think guest stars would really accomplish as much, given that none of them would have or would develop any rapport with the crew in such a short time. Indeed, I don't know how any character, Ezri Dax or not, could avoid Cousin Oliver Syndrome in some for or other. And in the end, another permanent female crewmember was necessary, lest the show devolve into simple, testosterone driven action.

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

She graphically demonstrated that it's possible to have a worse ship's counselor than Deanna Troi. It's valuable to see how TNG dodged a bullet.

19. R. Star

At least Troi was never duped by a hologram. ;)

20. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to have a strong dislike for Ezri. Probably because I thought Jadzia was awesome. Although, after a few re-watches of the seventh season, she kind of grew on me.

Lous likes this.