Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

If you count the Shadowland mini then yes.

Someone on the Marvel board, I think that's where I read it, commented how even though he didn't agree with the Captain Spiderine version of MK he supported it hoping for a change. He chastised "true MK" fans for abandoning the book cause this was 3 strikes and your out and we aren't likely to get an MK book for some time now.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People should absolutely abandon a book they're not enjoying. At the end of the day low sales is the only message that gets through to Marvel (or DC).

I have never understood the people that complain about, oh, say Wolverine's over-exposure, but continue to by every book with his name on it. Every book you buy is a message to the company to continue to produce more of the same.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree about abandoning books you're not enjoying. I have done this all my life. I consider myself a "hardcore" comic fan as well, but I'm not going to continue to buy books/trades that aren't entertaining me or that I no longer find interesting.

Speaking of abandoning books and interesting...I've got a question. Is anyone still reading Invisible Iron Man? I haven't for a long time. I think since Fraction was on the book. I know they're kind of doing Fear Its Self aftermath stuff right now...seems kind of interesting that all of a sudden Tony isn't the central figure of the Marvel Universe like he was two or three years ago for obvious reasons maybe. I'm just not interested in stuff going on in that book or the War Machine one.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  4. Captain Craig

My last Marvel read from last week- Legion of Monsters #4

This concludes the mini with Elsa Bloodstone, Morbius, Jack Russell/Werewolf by Night, Living Mummy and Manphibian trying to stop a monster targeted virus, of demonic origin?, from spreading and causing the monsters of Monsteropolis, under Manhattan, to go to the surface.
    Issue 3 guest starred Son of Satan and this one had Dracula himself. Overall I enjoyed the series. The art wasn't totally to my liking but due to the nature of script, with it's tounge in cheek humor at times the art style fit. If the tone was more hardcore I'd have had issue with the art.
    I'd like to see more with the Legion of Monsters as a team, toss in Man-Thing and the line-up is perfect. Just as DC is mimicing Mignola's BPRD with it's Frankenstein Agent of SHADE(which I'm also enjoying) Marvel should keep this up with Legion, imo.

With their Monster city underground it seems another plot could link to the Mole Man. Having just read Avenging Spiderman it seems he needs stopping sooner than later. Also the race, whose name I forget, that Hulk had taken up with in Hulk's new book. Plenty going on underneath the NY area.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I wondered why Fantastic Four and FF shipped on the same week this month, when usually FF comes out the week following. Upon reading them, there was a specific story reason for this to be the case, although it was not really specifically spelled out in either book (Hint: You should read FF first).

As for the story itself-- Johnathon Hickman is firing on all thrusters on both books. I'm really surprised at how much I still like FF post-Fantastic Four 600, as it is now essentially the Fantastic Four's sub-plot book. But with the sub-plots being as good as they have been, who can complain about them?

I can't wait until next month's issues, which are supposed to wrap the majority of Hickman's running plot-lines, and I'm glad that Hickman has decided to stay with both books moving forward.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. Admiral_Young

Hickman's story is beginning to come together and I said it would even when Johnny "died". I look at Fantastic Four as being the team book, while FF has become the kids book with Val as the star. Both issues were just fantastic.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So for someone who really hasn't read much of Fantastic Four, other than the early, early "Heroes Reborn" issues, how easy is Hickman's run to get into?

I've heard it's great, but honestly, I'm mainly interested in it, since it seems to have picked up where DnA left off with the cosmic heroes. I know that he's used Annihilus and the Negative Zone and I've heard Black Bolt is back, there's a Kree/Inhumans war, and Ronan is involved in the War of Four Cities. As a fan of DnA's work, will I like Hickman's?

8. Turtletrekker

Well, in theory, #604 should be a good jumping on point as it should be the begining of a new story arc.

I haven't read any Marvel cosmic, so I can't really compare Hickman's work to DnA's, but as for Hickman picking up where DnA left off, given that all of those things you mentioned-- Annihilus, the Negative Zone, Black Bolt and the Inhumans and Ronin and the Kree-- all originated in the Lee/Kirby FF run, I'd say it's more a matter of Hickman bringing all of those elements home than anything else.

ETA: That said, appropriate respect is paid to DnA's work as all of those characters and elements seem to be picked up from where DnA left them.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  9. Captain Craig

Marvel must not know this otherwise it would be billed as issue #1, ;)

10. Turtletrekker

That's why I said "in theory". ;)

11. Admiral_Young

Hickman's run is easy enough to get into. I finished his Fantastic Four run last month after starting to read the trades in late November.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hickman's run is very self contained but you do have to start at the beginning of it or it would be confusing. It actually began with the "Dark Reign Fantastic Four" mini series and then he took over the main book.

13. Admiral_Young

I wasn't confused and I started at Johnny's imprisonment, I then was hooked that I had to go back and read the entire run.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

word. tis the best place to start. love everything Hickman has did with the FF.

15. Admiral_Young

16. Turtletrekker

Well, I had been hearing so many good things about Mark Waid's Daredevil that I decided that I could ignore it no longer. I started with the Amazing Spider-Man crossover with issue 8, and by ordering the HC of the first 6 issues, which arrived in the mail today. I only need to find a copy of issue 7 to have the whole story.

I find myself joining the chorus of this book's supporters as this is just plain, good old-fashioned super-hero fun. Matt's new attitude towards life is refreshing and a welcome change from how grim Daredevil has been depicted in recent years. Which isn't a knock on the work of more recent writers, but the grim Frank Miller-esque Daredevil had been taken as far as it could. The dark times are acknowledged, sometimes humorously ("Suddenly, I miss ninjas"), and are indeed the catalyst for Matt's new look at life.

I eagerly await the next issue. If you haven't been reading this, I would recommend giving it a look.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  17. Admiral_Young

Waid's "Daredevil" run reminds me of old school DD and I love that they've started to restore the friendship between Peter and Matt, and the Felicia thing was interesting, especially Peter's reaction to it! LOL. I don't really like "forced" love triangles but this could be interesting.

Marvel teases the Spider-Men! I really hope this is a Peter/Kaine team up!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-spider-men-teaser-120201.html

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  18. Turtletrekker

This week--

Winter Soldier #1-- Pure awesome! This book is gong to be fun ride.:techman:

Avengers Academy #25-- This continues to be the book that I look forward and enjoy the most each month. The expanded cast hasn't shifted the focus away from the original class, whom have all become very interesting characters.

I loved the two-page spread promoting the up-coming guest-spot by The Runaways. All of the match-ups shown made a certain amount of sense-- Lightspeed vs Karolina, two speedsters have shared page-time (and sparks!:p) in the past. Stryker vs Victor (Hank Pym's grandson!:cool:), both with electrical based powers. Chase with Old Lace (Wasn't she killed off?:confused:) vs Reptyl, both have the dino-thing going. Mettle vs. Molly, two powerhouses (The ad is actually in every Marvel book this week. Check out Mettle's eyes as Molly is decking him:lol:). and Hazmat vs. Nico, who actually have nothing in common power-wise (but are both hot asian chicks ;)).

Uncanny X-Men #6-- I'm loving the Tabula Rasa storyline (Which spun out from the "Dark Angel Saga" over in X-Force). The Tabula Rasa is an interesting idea-- sort of the Savage Land in reverse, with the area and it's inhabitants, flora, fauna and fish being millions of years more advanced than that of the surounding area.

Avengers: X-Sanction #3-- This title, frankly, is really not setting my world on fire. I'm buying it because of it's relevence to the upcoming AvX event, but was hoping there would be more to it. Of course, there is still one more issue to go. I did enjoy the Summers family reunion, and thought that it was an interesting choice to have Cyclops and Wolverine meet up for the first time since Schism in this book rather than an X-Book.

Defenders #3-- Is it just me, or did this book start strong and go nowhere fast?

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was utterly uninterested in Winter Soldier #1. Defenders has nice art but I don't care about the story or the characters. I want to like Avengers-X but its literally "Cable fights one Avenger, defeats him, next shows up, cliffhanger!" every time.

I started off very uninterested in Avengers Academy but I'm pretty into it now. I'm really glad they expanded the cast and made it into a larger school like Avengers Initiative.

20. Captain Craig

Last night I read:
    Punisher #8 - I continue to enjoy Rucka's run on this title. He's taken Frank back to more of a strategist and by using the Detectives involved created a type of crime Noir. I also found it interesting that on Frank's laptop he files for Call of Duty-esque games and one labeled Superheroine Upskirts. :lol:

Venom #13 - I only got this for the Circle of Four storyline that features Ghost Rider(Alejandra). I doubt that'll reflect in the sales data properly but oh, well. I liked how the narrative for Alejandra and Blaze picks right up out of Ghost Rider #8(seemingly the last issue of that title). Alejandra has broken away from Adam who used her and is begrudgingly taken up with Blaze who wants to mentor her in how to be Ghost Rider. This is what the first 8 issues of the series set up and the dynamic as seen here would've been fun to see. To Alejandra, a young 19yr old, Blaze is a washed up 40yr old ex-Sprit of Vengeance and not sure what he can show her. A different dynamic than when he and Ketch were together, that was more brotherly. This would be more Fatherly and since her last "Father", Adam, used her the psychology elements at play are something I was looking forward to but alas shortsighted GR fans bailed on the book and it's over.

But back to the Circle of Four story. Blackheart is attempting to raise Hell into the same plane of Earth. He needs something from Venom, Red Hulk and X-23 along with the power of a Spirit of Vengeance to power the mechanism to complete the spell. Blaze tries to caution Alejandra into not rushing into the situation to confront Blackheart cause A)she isn't ready for that yet solo B)they don't know what is exactly going on at that point. Like an impetulant daughter she rushes in anyway, and triggers the mechanism that begins to unite Hell onto Earth.

This story in Venom runs every week in Feb so seeing as how GR is going to have lots to do I look forward to it. I also like Red Hulk so should be fun. I dropped Venom after #3 cause I just wasn't buying Flash Thompson, soldier as Venom. This arc though as Ghost Rider in a main role so ++