2ft E-D model

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by swaaye, Mar 16, 2009.

1. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've ever seen much about it.

3. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

In Issue #1 of the long-defunct ST:TNG - The Magazine, put out by Starlog, there is a good photo of Greg Jein holding the 2-foot model of the 1701-D.

The model can also be seen in Mike Okuda's "office" in some photos that I've seen online. I have a copy of one of the Okuda photos somewhere. If I can find it, I'll scan it.

4. BolianAuthor

Ok... I found it... the the photo of Greg Jein holding the 2-footer.

It's one of the ST:TNG Behind the Scenes trading cards... the card called "Vendor Miniatures".

I will scan it in the morning, and post it, unless someone else has it, and beats me to it. In the meantime, here's one I found of all three models... 6, 4, and 2-footers.

[​IMG]

-BolianAdmiral

5. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

oh wow, what I wouldn't do for a 6 foot model like that!

4 and two footers aren't bad either.... but where would I put them?

6. kitsune

kitsune Captain

This photo is almost begging for a caption contest.
    It's like the Mommy Enterprise, Baby Enterprise, and Daddy Enterprise...:)

7. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Where would you put the SIX footer then?;)

8. Praetor

Wow, thanks Bolian.

The six footer looks really beautiful there, as does the four in its fugly goodness. It's also nice to see the 'head' model with the working locking plates. I wonder where that went?

I also wonder if the two footer is more bulldog-ish like the four or maintains the lines of the six-footer better?

9. BolianAuthor

^

IIRC, the model of the upper battle section was sold at the Christie's auction.

10. BolianAuthor

Okay... here's the card with the photo of Greg Jein, and the 2-footer.

[​IMG]

11. Praetor

Wow. It doesn't look all that different from the model kit. :p

12. swaaye

Nice. thanks for the photos.

I have that TNG The Continuing Mission book that has lots of photos of the 6 footer being built. There isn't nearly as much info about the 4 and 2 footer out there.

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Enterprise E-D models

from this page about Designing the Enterprise NCC-1701-E for Star Trek: First Contact.

This picture is from the CGI version of ST:Insurrection film and how it was 4 years later that he was able to make small design changes to the NCC-1701-E for ST:Nemesis.
    http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/1701-e.html

This thread is about the 2ft. models but I thought you would find this of interest.

[​IMG]

14. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, for posting this pictures of three ships. Where did you get this photo from?

15. swaaye

Re: Enterprise E-D models

Thanks for the link. Good stuff.

It's interesting that some folks say there are only a few good angles to film the D from. I think a big part of the reason the E-D was shot at such few angles for seasons 1-3 was the inability to quickly & cheaply work with the 6 footer and that the 2 footer wasn't detailed enough.

In the later seasons of TNG they came up with lots of great new angles to shoot with the 4 footer. I think there are more great angles than unsightly. Most of the new shots in seasons 4-7 are excellent. Shots in Final Mission, Unification, and Birthright come to mind (watched them recently). They pull back from the D and shoot with more complex scenes with more ships, planets, etc. Birthright has that great "space tour" shot where the camera goes on a little adventure of its own lol.

Also interesting to learn than John Eaves helped build the 4 footer.

Anyone know if there are any scenes aside from the warp sequences that use the 2 footer ?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  16. Praetor

Re: Enterprise E-D models

QFT. The D is a fine looking ship, from any angle.

17. tnpir4002

tnpir4002 Commander Red Shirt

The 2-footer wasn't seen very often due to the fact that it was specifically designed for distance shots. I know for sure that it was seen in "Pen Pals" to show the 1701-D in orbit of Drema IV, and again in "The Pegasus" as the Enterprise moves away from the asteroid "with a surprise inside", with the Romulan Warbird approaching in the background. It can be distinguished easily from the other two by its deflector dish (actually that's a good way to distinguish between all three models when you get right down to it), the 2-footer's deflector is basically a bland blue patch whereas the others have the distinctive details.

18. BolianAuthor

Here's a bit of TNG trivia for you...

Can anyone name the VERY first scene, of the very first episode EVER, when a totally CGI ship was used in any Star Trek? I know, but I want to see how many of you know it. It was in TNG, I'll say that much.

19. tnpir4002

tnpir4002 Commander Red Shirt

A few postulates from me to perhaps help narrow the playing field:

We know it's nothing from TOS. And we also know it's nothing from the first few seasons of TNG since CGI wasn't really that widely used yet (and we also know CGI wasn't even the weapon of choice for Generations, which means it must be something from a decently well-budgeted episode near the end of the series' run for it to be CGI at all).

With that said, I'm going to take a stab and say the U.S.S. Pasteur's first appearance in Earth orbit in the first half of "All Good Things." Am I close? :)

20. BolianAuthor

Nope, it was actually WAY earlier in the show's run. :)