7X01 Asylum Of The Daleks (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 1, 2012.

?

Grade "Asylum Of The Daleks"

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

55.2%
  2. Good

32.8%
  3. Average

8.6%
  4. Save us!

2.3%
  5. Exterminate!!

1.1%
  1. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted 'Average' simply because the Daleks are basically neutered now . . . But otherwise as an hour of TV it was Excellent.

I expect we'll see the Daleks and Oswin again soon

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Fun episode. I had been getting tired of Dalek stories, but this one I really enjoyed. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Time War and why there are still so many damn Daleks roaming the universe when, in theory, they should all be time-locked. That seems to be something we've just decided to ignore.

Here's the deal. I love Amy and Rory. They are probably my favorite companions, and I think they work so well with Matt Smith's Doctor. I will be very sad to see them go. I just hope they get a fitting send-off.

Oh, and I saw the whole Oswin-is-really-a-Dalek thing coming from a mile away, but I still think they pulled it off well.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

That's the overnight figure, we'll have to wait until Monday or so of next week for the final figures to come in. I suspect the final figure we'll be into the 7-8m figure mark. Which means still very helath ratings.

4. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given what we know The Time Lords were the bigger threat when The Doctor used the "moment". So it's entirely possible The Doctor's sole intent was to time lock The Time Lords so they couldn't destroy the universe. The Daleks on the other tentacle were of a lesser concern. However, why he didn't put them in the time lock is beyond me. I'm still holding out hope that The Time Lords will escape somehow.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They turned a chicken back into in egg in City of Death.

But if they had a gun that can zap a Dalek into a human being (A kaled?) "almost immediately"... I'd buy that for a dollar..

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Perhaps. I was under the impression that the Doctor [intended to] put the entire War into a time lock, with both Time Lords and Daleks alike being trapped inside. Obviously, the whole Time War is some huge incomprehensible timey-whimey thing that we mere humans probably can't comprehend anyway, so I'm not too worried about it.

But to apply a "timeline" to the whole thing:

-Doctor puts Time Lords and Daleks into a time lock
    -Cult of Skaro escapes by hiding in the Void Sphere
    -Dalek Caan uses his convenient "emergency temporal shift" to escape being sucked back into the Void
    -Davros, who apparently didn't die when the Doctor thought he die, teamed up with Dalek Caan and made more Dalek babies
    -???
    -I don't remember what happened in "Victory of the Daleks" other than some random Daleks got a new paint job
    -Now there's a huge Dalek fleet, which just happens to include the Dalek Parliament, but they have all had their memories of the Doctor wiped

7. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't say they're 'neutered', if anything, now they don't know who The Doctor is... it makes them more unpredictable and dangerous than before...

Previously, and as this episode shows perfectly, The Dalek's went out of their way sometimes to find The Doctor and battle him... but now, now they're unpredictable, they could attack any planet, anywhere, anywhen...

Without the 'oncoming storm' to keep them in check, they have noone to blame for the Time War, noone to focus their anger on, noone left to fear... i think that makes the Dalek's more dangerous than neutered lol

M

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's actually the first time in a while that I'm curious to see more of the Daleks. How will they behave now that all memory of the Doctor has been wiped from their minds?

9. Methos

yeah thats what i'm curious about...

The Dalek's have been at war with the Time Lords / Doctor for as long as i can remember... without him there as their 'ultimate foe' so to speak, there's little to actually hold them in check anymore...

M

10. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Should we read anything into the rumor of the Doctor becoming less emotional as the series progresses and the fact that he was exposed to the nanogens which slowly take away your emotions?

11. Methos

Nope... The Doctor has been around nanogenes before, going to the level of playing with them in his hands, and giving them an 'upgrade'... and they didn't affect him in the least...

[​IMG]

M

12. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

But do the Daleks remember the Time Lords? I don't see why they wouldn't.

13. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not so sure about this rumor that the Doctor becomes less emotional because of the nanogenes. That doesn't seem to fit the idea of him mourning, which strikes me for the reason his character is going to change. He's been a big kid with the Ponds since he arrived, and when they go, it's going to be like losing his parents in some way.

I think the thematic emphasis needs to be on "memory," as time goes on, specifically that, as Trenzalore comes and the question is asked "Doctor WHO?" will anybody remember him at all. I think that's the real issue at stake, and it's a mistake the Silents have made. They wanted to kill him to keep the question from being asked - well, what if that's the reason the asking of the question is such an issue? The problem in the future isn't that he must say his name - rather it's that nobody will remember the Doctor, because they all think he's dead, or, in the case of the Daleks, they don't remember him at all. What if the problem is also the reverse of the case in TWORS - in that, River wanted the Doctor to know that he was loved and remembered and sent a message that he needs help, and the universe said "Yes." Well now, thanks to those very events, they think he's dead (or don't even know he existed), so there's nobody to help when he needs it himself.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I agree. However, in spite of failing to lock in the Daleks, he may still view it as being worthwhile because his race had been essentially destroyed and replaced by something equally a threat to the universe as the Daleks.

Anyway, I think the biggest thing with the Daleks is they'll be encountered in the future just as invading aliens somewhere, rather than those who are seen because they're scheming to kill the Doctor.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Doctor didn't lock the time war into a particular era as a parting gift.

Rassilon knew that he was already locked during the End of Time, and that was well before the Doctor used the moment to make them all burn.

16. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

if you're going to criticise a show at least learn how to spell first... i find you below average

17. Alidar Jarok

Sorry, I meant the destruction, not the lock. I didn't know the Doctor time locked them.

18. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

it was meant to be time locked, hence why the Doctor was surprised Dalek Cann had some how broken the time lock to rescue Davros, in The Stolen Planet.

However too be honest, im starting to get the impression that the longer it is since an episode air, the less details like that actually matter to new stories, to the point where the details dont matter at all.

19. Alidar Jarok

The details never mattered except when an episode involves Time Lords or Daleks. I'd argue they don't matter for the Daleks anymore after Victory of the Daleks.

The whole point was to just make the Doctor a traveler without constantly running into his people (like he was before War Games).

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, did we really need the forced drama of Amy and Rory's five minute divorce? I just don't get it. Why was that needed? Was going to Skaro and travelling into an asylum full of crazed Daleks not enough drama for one episode? I am so glad that Amy and Rory are leaving soon.

With the exception of the Sam and Diane romance nonsense, the episode was ... pretty good. Had quite a few head-scratchers and an ending that you could figure out in the first 10 minutes, but for the most part it was an exciting episode.