First-run syndicated television dramas from the late 80s-90s

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

OMG, Thunder in Paradise! :lol: I had a job working at a K-Mart many summers ago and in our tiny break room there was like 15 guys or whatever and a TV with basic cable. Some people hated sports and some hated news and some hated this and that and somehow this meant Thunder in Paradise was the only show that everyone would at least tolerate at lunch so I saw more Hogan action than I would've otherwise.

2. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Not only was it bad, it was pure propaganda.

3. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I definitely watched some episodes of Renegade and Thunder in Paradise when I was a kid. I really miss all those outright cheesy 80's/90's action shows.

4. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched a lot of syndicated shows just because of how they were aired. You usually had the local tv station which showed the show re-airing it once or twice a week in a very late night slot to fill programming (like 1AM/2AM/etc...) and since I usually would be awake that's when I'd watch them. I can understand why the syndication market for original programming has dried up because now you have cable networks with their original programming.

5. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Yes, thank you, I meant Time Trax...sorry about the mix-up.

Was it? I don't remember seeing it on USA, in fact I'm almost certain I saw it on Sci-Fi.

While that's true, I thought the shows I mentioned deserved to be on the "short list" for the era/genre.

6. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

That was "Thunder in Paradise".

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I always liked RELIC HUNTER, which I thought was more fun than the actual TOMB RAIDER movies . . . .

8. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen Renegade mentioned a few times as being a horrible show. Granted when it was on, I was like 10 years old but the only thing I really remember about it was it was always on USA here. Was it really that bad?

Also does anyone remember Kung Fu the legend continues? I remember liking it and it did have a successful run.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Well, not everything could have been TNG. :lol:

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When did Jack of All Trades come into the picture in terms of the syndication? I thought that was a bit more clever in terms of its concept and execution than some of the other first run syndication shows of the era.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember it being paired with Cleopatra 2525 since they were only half hour shows.

13. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, Cleopatra 2525 was pretty dire, relying on campiness to carry it.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, I know this is a minority opinion, but I thought Cleopatra 2525 was a lot of fun. The theme song alone made me grin every week.

I will go to my grave regretting that I never got to write a Cleopatra 2525 novel . . . .

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

And Superboy.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

You must have. It WAS on Sci-fi, but it originally aired on USA.

That's where I saw it first run in 1994.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I really liked Viper when it aired on NBC but I didn't keep up with it when it went into syndication. When it came back, it looked cheap, the car transformation wasn't as good and James McCaffrey and Dorian Harewood weren't there. McCaffrey came back in season 4, but I still couldn't get into it because it bounced around the schedule. I wouldn't mind catching up, but it's not out in any format.

Here's the season 1 intro. It's one of the best I've ever seen.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u95IHZ1dnNI[/yt]

I loved that show. It was supposed to go for a 5th and final season, but it got cancelled.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBWRcNjJqnc[/yt]

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I used to like Pointman. If you've never heard of it, the intro sets everything up.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEvz6ie8fZw[/yt]

And here's Night Man... I think I saw one episode.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5LhB2X0cuA[/yt]

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't watch a single one of the shows that had clips, though I did watch a number of those that were listed before the clips.

I think this was because Hubby and I had moved in together in '87. We were busy doing...other things...most nights. ;) :D

20. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

TNG
    DS9
    Friday the 13th The Series--underrated little show here although occasionally over the last few years SyFy has aired it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIIzRXKoYDI
    Viper
    Superboy with Gerard Christopher and Stacey Haiduk