Firefox Mobile Operating System

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Into Darkness, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Into Darkness

Into Darkness Captain Captain

I just don't see the point. I love firefox don't get me wrong, their internet browser is one of the greatest, but why try for a mobile operating system?
    We already have iOS, Android and Windows for mobiles, how many more do we really need?
    How can Firefox possibly compete with these giants? and to be frank even Apple is starting to lose revenue to Googles android and the windows operating system never really took off, not surprising since Android is so much better.

I feel as though the markets are all trying to obtain a share of the pie and by doing so things are just going to get messy and confusing.
    The firefox OS actually seems very Android like too so why would people not just go for the trusty old Android?

What are other peoples opinions on this?

2. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems stupid if you ask me. Android is already an open platform to the extent that a firefox OS seems redundant and, yeah, stupid.

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I've been a Firefox user since the beginning.

That said, I think as a browser it has become bloated and they change things for the sake of change, probably only to justify their quick release schedule.

That's the last thing I want in an OS. Unless they change that mentality and unless a FFx OS gives me something useful Android doesn't, I'm not interested.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

The point in the Firefox OS is that it's got low system requirements, is totally open, where Android is Linux based and has open elements but also has closed components and is HTML based, so if you can wrote a web page you can write an app.

That means cheaper phones can be made that do all the smartphone type things but at lower spec and price points so users in developing countries and poorer people in developed nations can afford one.

Granted Android has some pretty cheap handsets out there but to be honest I'd quite like a system not tied in to Google.