Spoilers TOS: Allegiance in Exile by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jan 21, 2013.

?

Rate Allegiance in Exile.

1. Outstanding

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Above Average

20 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Average

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

I thought about staying up until I can download it, but then I might not be able to sleep at all...

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This leads me to believe that Pocket (or at least DRGIII) hasn't forgotten that many of us really want to read the Ascendants storyline. Perhaps it will finally happen soon, and the backstory will now be even fuller.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, did order it just now. Wasn't sure, since TOS and the 5YM don't really interest me that much. But it's DRGIII, and with that little spoiler I'm intrigued enough to want to read this.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just bought it.

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine should arrive tomorrow, apparently. I'm glad at least one of these TOS books will satisfy my continuity needs. Enduring until July will be a little easier now ;).

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Did that once and it did not download until 7am anyway:rolleyes:

7. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

2:30 am for me.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was definitely my favorite David R. George book in several years. My only complaint is about the structure. Each third was good, but I think it loses something read in quick succession, rather than waiting (and reading other tales of the Enterprise?) in-between each "episode".

I see what the current title means (twice over). But can anybody see how the contract title of The Red Ensign could have applied to the book? Because I'm not seeing it.

9. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could you speak as to how significantly The Famous Spoiler factors into the story?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

From the comments various authors have made about the practice, the contractual working titles are sometimes just placeholders that don't have any specific relevance to the story at all. They're just something to put on the paperwork.

11. ATimson

The book isn't your typical 5YM "planet of the week" book; it's really a character piece, about Kirk dealing with the impending end of the 5YM, and Sulu coming to grips with what being in command can require. However, the plot which the character work revolves around builds to The Famous Spoiler in Part 3.

True, and that could be what this was. I was wondering if there was some significance that I was missing that someone else saw, though. :)

12. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks! Since I just got done with the Cold Equations and am quite in the mood for an introspective piece I think that settles my reading order decision ... *heads to online store*

14. ATimson

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

My copy should appear in time to start by the weekend. How "fast" a read is it?

16. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

My copy just showed up. This is my first 5YM book in years. I have high hopes :techman:

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Mine came yesterday. Even though I would have bought the book anyway, the spoiler ups my excitment level and moves this book to the top of my "to read" pile.

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I ordred this book I hope it will arrive in the mail in a few weeks.I can't wait to read this Tos novel.

19. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

About halfway through this one, lovining it. The emotion of Kirk realizing how much of his mission has passed bye & the weight of the lives lost during that time was a nice touch.

20. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

My copy arrived today. I was, however, inside the vault at HSBC archives, so I wasn't able to start it. What was I doing inside a secure vault, you ask?

You don't have clearance to pursue that line of inquiry! :p