Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shaw, I never meant to say that you were lying.

I did a Google search myself, and I didn't find Eaves' blog, so I was curious as to where you got the information.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I didn't think you were... I was teasing you. :techman:

It wasn't like anyone was going to just find what he said via a google search, you had to know exactly what you were looking for to find the cached version.

Yeah, but no one (neither Eaves or Mandel) should have needed backing up just for referring to previous versions of Trek. :eek:

It is just troubling. :(

3. USS Mariner

^After hearing this, I will never pay to see this.

I said that about Watchmen, but Snyder never did shit like this to his staff, and I had much less ire about that from the beginning.

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that cuts it.

Not only am I not going to see this travesty, I'm not picking up any merchandise, I'm not gonna check out the DVD from the frelling library, I'm not even gonna bother with this season of Lost.

JJ Abrams can kiss my hardcore Trekkie ass.

5. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

That's pretty lousy treatment of Mr. Mandel. Fortunately the man is talented enough to continue a prosperous career, and fortunately I've now decided not to spend the money to watch the film in first run.

6. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope.

Can you do one more and perhaps stop posting on the Trek 11 forums then?

Well I can see you are grasping at straws to justify your opinion, even if you are entitled to it. You seem to be oblivious to the fact that this sort of thing undoubtedly happens all the time in the industry, including of Trek past where writers, etc have gotten the shaft (Harlan Ellison & Courage getting messed over comes to mind right off the bat.) You had no problem supporting Trek then, so you're looking for anything to weasil your way out now, and this is how far you've stooped.

Also, the way John Eaves presents this information I have to wonder how much of the full story is being presented by the way he more or less makes it a joke/light story at the end.

7. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If your "justification" is just because of something that is probably common practice in the industry, then perhaps you should also not spend any more money on all of Trek in the time being.

8. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can we can the discussion on ST:XI and get back to our beloved TOS Enterprise. Please.

9. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

yotsuya,

Agreed...

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Devon, consider this a friendly warning - keep the personal remarks and suggestions for others' behavior out of the posts, or it will become official.

Thanks.

11. USS Mariner

^Bah. This ain't worrisome.

12. FalTorPan

Perhaps you should not presume to suggest how I should spend or not spend my own money. Paramount's decision to fire Mandel was a business decision. Similarly my decision not to waste $10 on watching the upcoming movie in first run is a business decision.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  13. FalTorPan

Thanks. Fixed.

14. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

After an encounter with this troubled sole I couldn't help but wonder if there are others harboring similar notions.

Hopefully everyone here has read the sign on the door, which reads...

Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

So no matter what anyone else says, believes or what not... lets be really clear here. I only represent this as my work, to which I only claim to be doing my best and it is done strictly as a labor of love.

The bizarre ideas quoted above are even more outlandish when one considers the fact that I have (to date) only released sketches of elements of this work. The fact that anyone would think that I would think that my unfinished work (which in my mind is total crap!) is either perfect or flawless is themselves delusional.

I am always happy for the praise I've gotten in this thread... but it seems like others are assuming that I share that point of view. In reality, the praise makes it even harder because I feel more pressure (because I don't see my work measuring up to what others seem to be seeing in it). I don't want more pressure, I wanted to discuss some ideas I have had with others who enjoy this subject.

So for those who think that I think that I'm the greatest Trek guy around who sees himself as "the new standard"... please, seek help! I'm never made any proclamations (vigorously or otherwise) to that effect.

For everyone, the only thing I am willing to guarantee is that in the end I will have done my best (or I won't release any of it if I don't think it meets my standards :eek: ). I will attempt not to remake any of the mistakes that others before me made, but I'm quite sure I'll be making all sorts of new ones.

I do want to apologize for wasting so much time in the last week on this trivial stuff (that has nothing to do with my actual work) or attempts to explain things that have been discussed at length in this thread else where when I could have been finishing off my studies of the 11 foot model's nacelles. I will endeavor to not let this type of thing happen again. :techman:

As a side note, even though it has been stated many times before, it bares repeating... I have sequestered all other reference plans that I have to the 11 foot model and have avoided a direct comparison of my work with that of others unless in the final stages as a method for cross checking. If things don't match, I go back to the model and try to see why.

I know I've stated this before, but some people just won't get it no matter how often I say it.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Unless one gets a look at original archival material (such as construction plans) then this kind of project entails a lot of speculation. And anyone who undertakes such a project is likely to have differing perspectives and thus come up with different answers to "fill in the blanks."

Even original plans may not be the final word if the actual models deviated in some manner from those plans. Shaw isn't the first and most likely won't be the last to attempt integrating disparate representations of the TOS Enterprise into a coherent whole.

Will it be definitive? That really depends on every individual's perspective because there was never a truly definitive version of the ship in the first place. There was a flawed and incomplete filming miniature and interior sets where each viewer basically filled in the blanks with their imagination. This is little different from fans of a novel having different interpretations of the book being adapted to live-action.

Shaw has his vision of what the Enterprise is while trying to respect what is actually known and established. And I respect his vision (and others before him) even if I may disagree on certain points.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That person clearly has issues. I wouldn't worry about it Shaw. :)

17. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Keep working. :)

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, back to work, Shaw. ;)

19. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, Shaw, what you have so far is 10 time better than the old FJ plans. Far more accurate to what we saw on screen. I know what you have is not complete, but you seem to be accounting for everything I can think of that was wrong with the FJ plans. You are nailing down the Enterprise with far more certainty than anyone has been able to do with the Millenium Falcon (there's a nightmare). Keep up the good work and don't feel pressured.

20. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

FalTorPan,

Agreed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.