So I started watching "Babylon 5" for the first time.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tribble puncher, May 11, 2014.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I remember the time when it aired here in Germany in the mid 90s. Spoilers were hard to come by given that the internet was in its infancy, SF magazines rarely got good scoop in advance and you basically had to watch everything unspoiled (Best of Both Worlds is another example of its day that was awesome because i had no chance of finding out how it would go and end.. my best friend and me were stunned when the first part ended).

So i was pumped to see the season finale and it blew my mind.. until at the last few minutes my parents barged in and started to talk about something really unimportant and blocked the view. It was all done by the time i had them quiet down and move out of the way so i missed the last few moments from the finale! :lol::lol:

That summer was hell.. no way to see for myself what happened as naturally there was no repeat of the episode sometime that summer, there was no way to get the episode by filesharing or streaming (back then you were king with a 56K modem!) and message boards were only for true nerds and i hadn't progressed enough to be able to be in these circles.

2. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I'm on the forth ep of season 4, I knew sheridan survived, but for some reason the first 3 eps seemed a little slow to me, I will prob have to go back and rewatch them, but I felt impatient at the Sheridan bits (maybe because I'm not ready to embrace my true destiny or something.) Perhaps I was anxious to get back the war, so far so good. one more season after this one.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Ah the days before DVR's, the age of dial-up.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Truly a dark age.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, could some asshole reinvent the calendar using the invention of the internet or the invention broadband as year zero?

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know people rave about Season 4, but it's never been my favorite. As you said, the beginning of the season is a bit slow. In true B5 fashion, it does set up a lot for later on. Something about how the crew is split up that doesn't connect with me. Susan doing her best as the commander was okay, Garibalid's arc seemed to drag on, though I did love seeing Zack get some deserved recognition. In fact, it was nice to give more of the spotlight to Zack and Marcus. Londo, G'Kar, and Vir's storyline in these episodes also seemed to drag. Lyta is hamstrung by being an attache to Kosh.

Franklin seemed to get over his addiction rather quickly and easily (aside from being knifed). In some ways, I got the sense JMS reached a point with each character where he was done with their character arc, but not with the character. For instance, we got a lot of characterization on Susan in season 1 with her father being sick, then dying, and her coming to grips with it. Then a little bit with the revelations about her mother. Past season 2, though, Susan's character is pretty much set. The same goes for Franklin, who went through his character arc in seasons 2-3. Bit of personal gripe though, your mileage may vary.

The opening for this season is certainly correct though, as this is the year everything changes. The old dynamic we saw in season 2-3 (I leave out season 1, because Sheridan wasn't there) is gone and characters have been changed due to events, making the nice character moments between everyone fewer, in my opinion. Though we do get some nice pairings of characters who haven't had much to do with each other later in the season.

I guess I spent most of the season waiting for the gang to get back together in the same way they had before "Z'ha'Dum," and it never being the same again.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Didn't stop me recording all of seasons 3 - 5 on video tape! :p

8. Guy Gardener

Me too!

It's like I watched severed dreams 12 times in the first week, that I decided to keep it, and then wondered if I should keep the next week as well, which seemed kind of like an obviously good idea. However the odd thing was that the week before Severed Dreams was already on that tape at the rear end, so I was disjoint rewtaching the middle of season three slightly out of order for years to come unless I could be bothered to fast forward and rewind around what I had at hand.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes I do recorded B5 on to VHS, except I did S1-5.

10. Guy Gardener

There was a victorious point in most of our youths when we finally realized that we could afford both Blank VHS tapes and Beer.

11. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    What about making your own beer thus having money for more tapes and chilli? That beer making equipment was the best Christmas present ever.

12. Guy Gardener

I bought a large tin of lager sediment from the supermarket for $10 bucks in the mid nineties.

Thought I could mix it up in used coke bottles.

Instructions on the back however said that I needed to next buy a 40 dollar drum to brew in before I got to the bottling stage a month further down my timeline.

Fuck that.

How do you explain to a girl, that you have to stop kissing her and go home because a new episode of Babylon 5 is starting in an hour?

In retrospect I should have kept kissing the girl.

But that's only because I didn't know dvd box sets were going to be invented 5 years later.

13. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's see, I started taping B5 on Betamax, then when it was rerun (on SciFi?) I taped the whole series on VHS. Then Columbia started selling the series on VHS in season sets so I stared buying it (they released it in a ridiculous order - S1, S5, S2, S4, then never released S3 because DVD came out). And then I bought the DVD box sets.

I put those nice expensive VHS season sets in the basement and they got flooded during a hurricane. :/

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

DVD is the way to go.

15. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Just finished the Ep. "into the fire." so that's it huh? the shadow war is over. (and it turns out both sides were just afraid to quit doing their jobs because they were terrified of being alone.) Narn is free again, though the planet is now a dung hole. But I saw a small spark of redemption in Londo, He is an extremely interesting character. This show takes alot of risks, that frankly, shows like Trek never even dreamed of. I'm guessing now the arc will shift to Prez. Clark. ONWARD!

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And of course Vir got what he wanted. But that's it the end of the Shadow War which basically came down to

"You've been bad parents, we are throwing you out of the house."

17. Guy Gardener

Remember season 2's in the Shadow of Za'Ha'dum?

:)

18. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You have to love the way they kicked them out though: "Now get the Hell out of our galaxy! Both of you!"

19. Guy Gardener

But it was nice that they still needed/loved their Grampa despite everything else that had gone on.

Besides, remember what old Delenn in the future said about the war back in season 3...

Fuck Star Trek.

20. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dunno, I'd put that scene up against Janeway and B'Nanna hopping up and down like schoolgirls yelling "Warp particles! WARP particles!" any day.
    :borg: