V'Ger origins: Borg or not?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by xvicente, Aug 13, 2013.

?

was V'Ger related to the Borg?

1. Y

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. N

78 vote(s)
    89.7%
  1. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

No. The Borg go back about 900+ years, at least according to the Vaaduwar.

2. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why do the Borg have to be the only machine world in the galaxy?

It's like saying the Humans are the only ones who ever had the idea of building an interstellar community with their neighbours.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

How did this topic get turned around from the Borg "creating" V'ger to V'ger creating the Borg?

4. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because of this, I'm guessing.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anMOQ3vTy9k[/yt]

5. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

It evolved.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ And it has a plan.

7. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

I like the idea of V'ger being related to the Borg, but not necesssarily directly so. If the machine planet were a different offshoot of the same tech that the Borg came from, they'd be cousins, enough to explain Spock's situation in the Shatnerverse without making either one causative of the other.
    Even better than saying it is or isn't is making fans wonder...

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Since their dogmas don't come close to matching up (V'Ger was to see all it can see, learn all it can learn and return that information to the creator, whilst the Borg seek to achieve dominance and perfection through the assimilation of other species and their technology) I'd say that the two have nothing to do with one another.

If V'Ger was of Borg origin why wasn't it swarming with drones, assimilating every planet and ship it came across? Ilia Probe wasn't an assimilated version of Lieutenant Ilia but an artificial life-form in her image, which the Borg doesn't do--they combine organic with cybernetic (then even did it in reverse when they tried to entice Data to join them). Even Decker's merging with V'Ger wasn't any kind of assimilation more a symbiotic joining of its knowledge and power with his imagination and creativity.

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

TOS Battlestar Galactica Cylons were also supposed to be cybernetically enhanced intelligent lizards that had multiple brains (with the Imperious Leader having three brains, to connect him with the greater Cylon "hive mind"). There are references to the "Cylon Alliance" in script form and even a few in-dialog of a greater empire composed of other species, ruled and/or assimilated by Cylon tech (like the Ovions). Then the mentally challenged censors and network suits got a hold of the show and made them purely mechanical, lessening the impact, because we shouldn't see our heroes shooting other living beings, even in self-defense.

Cylons don't predate the Cybermen and certainly not the Zoromes, but they do predate the Borg, and the concept of cybernetic assimilation is not exactly an original concept in general sci-fi.

10. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

No, Sir, I don't like it.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. The Borg could not have cared less who created them. (Assuming they even remembered which species was their original.) They only cared about themselves. V'Ger was always driven by the directive to serve its creator.

12. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

And you think exactly the same as your cousin? If they're related, say by a common connection to the machine planet, where the machine planet upgraded both of them at different times, then they'd be recognizable to each other as distant kin, yet be totally different ideologically. Yours was a false argument.
    Different ideas do not equate to no relationship. Doesn't make them related, it just doesn't have anything to do with whether they are or are not.

13. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Sounds like the "Small Universe" syndrome to me.

Any time two things have even the smallest thing in common, then it's because they're connected in some way...

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The question being posed was whether the Borg created V'Ger, not if they both had a connection to a separate machine world, which was the question I was answering.

As for the same world having a connection to both, it seems highly doubtful. Why would the machine planet adapt the two of them with very different technology and operations? Neither V'Ger nor the Borg evolved, V'Ger needed to meld with Decker in order to do that but before that point it was operating on the same principles it'd launched from Earth with. Meanwhile, the Borg don't evolve, they assimilate, adding unique knowledge and technology to themselves through force, which seems to be their MO for as far back as canon sources go.

There is no common ground between them, nothing we've seen has shown any possible connection. It sound like trying to apply 'intelligent design' to something that has none.

As for my "false argument", it is merely another way of looking at the matter--which is the purpose of discussion boards--based on my own thoughts on the subject.

15. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

Not everything in Trek has to be intertwined.....

16. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I dont think the Borg created V'ger.

Whether or not V'ger created the Borg is a better question imho :P

17. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

The fact is that the concept of the Borg was envisioned nearly a decade after V'Ger. They had nothing to do with each other.

Think about how long it would have taken for the Voyager space probe to drift to the delta quadrant???

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Voyager disappeared into what "they" used to call a black hole.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I say yes, as it was in 'William Shatner: The Return' book.

20. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

This is true. So it could have wound up anywhere.