USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Now here's a ship that brings to mind one thought, "Heeeeeeere's Johnny!" (in my best Jack Nicholsen voice.)

2. GilmourD

GilmourD Commander Red Shirt

Sweet Lord! Honestly, I like this MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the Sovereign class. What is the size of this compared to a Sovereign?

3. the citizen

the citizen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

DESIGNATION: USS Grandeur-A REGISTRY#: NFC-90125-A
    CLASS: Avalon II TYPE: Heavy Tactical Cruiser

DIMENSIONS:
    Length: 580 m (1902.4 feet)
    Width: 235.5 m (772.5 feet)
    Height: 92.23 m (302.5 feet)

CREW COMPLIMENT:
    531 (315 enlisted, 140 officers, 75 MACO, And 1 barber)

ARMAMENT:
    19 Type XII Phaser Emmitters, (Quad Phaser Arrays)
    4 Torpedo Launchers (store -240 photon torpedoes)
    2 Quantum Torpedo Launchers (store -160 quantum torpedoes)
    2 Wyvern V Anti-Recoil Proto-Cannons (right on the bow)
    2 retractable modified Pit-viper pulse cannons (P and S of main deflector)

4. GilmourD

So it's a bit shorter and narrower but a bit taller.

Honestly, I just like it so much better. It has a neck! I can't stand that about the Sovereign design. It just looks like a wedge instead of a Trek ship.

5. Adagio

Adagio Captain Captain

This ship OWNS the sovvie. I love this design so much more than that other ... thing.

6. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've wondered for a while, why is it called the USS Grandeur-A when the registry also bears a suffix? For example, we had the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A...it wasn't the USS-Enterprise-A. Just something I've wondered.

7. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

That is a good question and one I am not sure I have a great answer for but I will try. All I can say is that the orignal Grandeur got really messed up in one of our stories, and that is what sparked 'the Commander/the citizen to design the next new Grandeur which as you know in trekdom takes on a new letter the second one being "A" that and along with the fact that we have what is known as the Grandeur-A project, we just sort of kept calling it the Grandeur-A. But when we use the numbers we also include it on that as well.

I think if you look on most updated ships on the saucer you will see the number followed by the hyphen and the letter.....on the Star Trek CCG playing cards you will have the card listed by the updated name like Enterprise-A but you will see on the saucer the number as well NCC1701-A.

No biggie I guess just something we use and say to let people know this is not the first ship called Grandeur in the Avalon Class but its successor.
    Hope that makes a little sense.

8. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

We think so as well :) Not that we have anything against the Sovie I like it all right, but I do have a great love for this ship, Vektor is doing an outstanding job, much more then we ever thought possible I guess.

The updates, as most people proberly think, are not as often as we would like, but we know that jobs, family and other things come first, so we are more then patient with all he is doing.

I am just glad to see all the many fans of Vektor's work especially on this wonderful ship hang in there all of this time and continue to give it many many praises.

Still looking for a few others to work on the Grandeur-A Project. We are so happy with all the ones that have volunteered in the past. Thanks to everyone for supporting it thus far.

9. GilmourD

There's ONE tiny little sniggling thing that I don't like about it... The saucer-mounted torpedo launcher. There's already three above and below the deflector... I just feel the lines on the bottom of the saucer would be a bit nicer without it.

10. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oooh, okay. For some reason I thought "USS Grandeur-A" was an official name rather than just a shorthand way of referring to it such as "Enterprise-A". That makes a lot more sense. :techman:

11. the citizen

:vulcan: Well, if I am to understand the question correctly...

1- to the p&s of the deflector are the pulse-cannons, like on the Defiant.

2- in the center above the deflector is a torpedo launcher. As far as I know there isn't anything on the bottom of the deflector.

3- the underside of the saucer has a quantum topedo launcher, in nearly the same position as Ent-E has.

4- on the bow of the saucer will be twin proto-cannons (the big guns) when the time comes for them to go in place.

I believe there is a torpedo launcher on the aft of the ship too.

As stated above, Grandeur is a tactical cruiser; we have a multi-vector attack mode like the Prometheus does (being a fighting vessel)... but it's just the saucer and stardrive that seps though, so both parts have to have adiquate weaponry.

12. GilmourD

Here's a pic of the deflector with the torpedo launcher underneath.
    [​IMG]
    And a pic where you can see both.
    [​IMG]

It's really only the third (or fourth, I guess, since the one above the deflector is a double tube launcher) launcher on the underside of the saucer that I would change and I would smooth over the underneath like the rest.

HOWEVER, I just noticed that the older pic that I just posted (showing the launchers above and below the deflector) has it exactly how I would make it.

However, like I said, that would be the ONLY change I would make to the entire ship.

13. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are a pair of photorp launchers above the deflector, a single quantorp launcher below the deflector and another single quantorp launcher on the bottom of the saucer. There will also be at least two or three aft-firing photorp launchers. Of course, you also have pulse cannons on either side of the deflector, the heavy pulse cannons on the bow (not yet shown in the latest renderings), and numerous phaser arrays all over the ship (several of them not yet shown).

As the Citizen said, this ship has a multi-vector assault mode, though I really dislike that term, and both major sections are independantly and heavily armed.

14. GilmourD

Gotcha. :) Well, I figured it was purpose driven since you don't seem the sort to just go "HOLY MOLY!!! MOAR GUNS!!!"

I think it's gorgeous.

If Star Trek ever gets produced in the TNG timeframe ever again, I hope they hire you to do ship design. Seriously... Best thing I've seen since Jeffries and Probert.

15. the citizen

:rolleyes:Oh, heh... I forgot about that one.

After you said that, I was thinking... where's the other quantum torpedo launcher? So... there it is... that's the stardrive quantum torpedo launcher. Sorry.

16. GilmourD

Eh, my brain is a block of Swiss cheese with extra holes... So I... uh... What was I saying?

17. the citizen

I dislike the term as well... I guess it's the new treknobabble for ships that seperate for a purpose other than emergency evacuation. Grandeur seperates like the Enterprises do, but we are doing it to have a better advantage of wiping someone out quick and getting to the heart of the problem!

But also, when we do have to seperate, we employ our mobile assault ship... LOL (has a nice ring to it, huh...) the USS Blackfoot. She's being redeveloped by Brian "Smallworld" O'Loughlin right now... here's a peek-ster...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. GilmourD

The front view reminds me of a stretched out Defiant.

19. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That sentiment hardly needs to be limited to the TNG timeframe. Check out Vektor's pre-TOS ship (Vanguard?) sometime.

Marian

20. the citizen

LOL
    After he started to modify the original (modified Banzai fighter), we decided to just do it from scratch. The shape's close to the same, but yes, I see a remote Defiant sorta kinda shape there. And, yes, it does have pulse-cannons, remote rotating phaser-turrets, micro-torp launchers, and aft flack-guns. BOOM!!

I thought I'd show you my doctored up example as to how the nose might look when we get armor platelets installed. Well... minus the fire, which is STILL COOL, I don't care what you say!! :) No, I added that for fun.

[​IMG]

Eh... sorry, Jason. I didn't mean to steal the thread... well, just for a second.
    NOW BACK TO THE PROGRAM! :-)

Last edited: May 9, 2008