'The Best of Both Worlds' without part 2

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JesterFace, Aug 5, 2014.

1. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Is it possible? Yes. Why? Well, because... I'm weird and some little things annoy me, like when Worf and Data are rescuing Picard from the cube, the only resistance they encounter are few drones, earlier there was a forcefield preventing the Enterprise crew from getting to him, now, it was gone... why didn't the Borg try harder to protect Locutus... maybe they didn't see a problem, even if they lost him. And the shuttle thing... they just fly in and get him?

Anyway, I think part 1 is awesome and part 2 somehow isn't... SO, my solution is not to watch the second part. How's that possible you may wonder? Well, since Picard is not know-it-all engineer when it comes to technology and may not know 100% how the Enterprise's deflector weapon operates, maybe the Borg didn't get enough information from him to adapt in time for the weapon. So, my own little storyline continues from ”To Be Continued” moment... Riker orders Worf to fire, he does and... the weapon works and the Borg cube is seriously damaged. At that time Riker orders Picard to be transported to the Enterprise. After that... well, maybe they just continue firing and there is not much if anything left of the cube... Picard is ”transformed” back into human like in the end of part 2. Then comes episode 'Family'. Simple.

It's fun to create your own canon. :)

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

That is a good question as to why there was not a forcefield the second time. You could argue, the Borg calculated at that time that Riker was probably trying to save Picard and decided this did not interfere with their plans, so they allowed Picard to be taken. But then, how would Riker have known that?

Anyway if that sort of continuity issue bothers you, you shouldn't be able to watch Star Trek.

3. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was contemplating starting a thread, in which supposing that TNG lasted three seasons, just like the original series. Then, I realized that The Best of Both Worlds Pt. I would be the last episode, which would make no sense.

So my thread idea died aborning because of that. :sigh:

4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

That was a long summer. Waiting to see what the deflector weapon did.

5. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

But that's a good thing, right? :)

6. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It could work if First Contact was a big budget movie follow-up that came afterwards, though. Just strip out the Borg Queen and put Locutus in her place in the script instead. Job done. :)

7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Yeah, because no series has ever ended on a cliffhanger in the history of ever! :lol:

8. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not really a fan of certain aspects of how part 2 wraps things up, I agree. Not a bad head-canon at all. I myself head-canon Locarno and Tom Paris into the same person.

9. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Lance

I like the concept of head-canon.

If I use my head-canon, I can change the course of human history!

300+ years of American independence? It never happened in my head-canon. They still call it "New England" for a reason, don't you know. ;)

Oh, and in my head-canon, the creator of Perfect Strangers was put down before he could ever unleash that God-awful show on our otherwise pristine televisual landscape.

You're welcome. :D

11. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

You're not the only one.

Here's an idea to make First Contact a little better, maybe...

I haven't heard much praise for the Borg Queen, ever. How about the leader in the Borg Cube/Sphere is..... Locutus!

How?

Well, the Borg are a collective conscience, so taking a single drone doesn't change the hive mind, so they could have cloned Picard and downloaded a new Locutus. Of course the whole tarting it up with Data storyline would have to go, but good, I didn't like that, either. And since were discussing the impossible, this causes the stupid clone in Nemesis to be cancelled before it's made. Ta Dah!

You can complain, now.

12. Lance

^ I suggested something similar earlier. :) I actually think First Contact would work fine as a continuation of BOBW #1. If we assume for the sake of this experiment that TNG went off the air on a shocking cliffhanger with The Best of Both Worlds Part 1, and then it was relaunched on the big screen with First Contact, it would be an easy solution: just use Locutus in the script instead of the Borg Queen (or maybe even alongside her?), and the cube is on its way to Earth anyway at the end of BOBW #1. We'd just keep the Enterprise-D for continuity reasons, and make Riker the captain and Shelby the XO, and you could effectively use the First Contact script with very few other modifications. Just start the movie with the fleet battling the cube more or less exactly as it appears in the movie already, and *BAM* you've got yourself a 'Part 2'. ;)

13. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

So just put Shelby in Picard's roll for the film? Elizabeth Ahab?